Genuine question this - should I buy FM 09 this week?

I'm thinking of going into town early this week and getting the new game as I've looked forward to it for yonks and FM08 has fallen a bit flat. But reading the posts on here, the posts on football messageboards and comments on random sites, it seems the new game is just littered with problems and there's about a 5% chance things will run smoothly when I buy it, a 20% chance it'll be messed up in places and I'll have to work fairly hard to get round it, a 25% chance I'll have to come on here whinging about a problem and be patronised by a user who's been lucky enough to buy a non-duff game and a 50% chance I'll get one that doesn't work altogether.

That sounds like more of a rant than it should be, sorry.

But genuine question, should I go and buy FM09 this week or wait 'til Christmas when the teenthing problems have been ironed out? How likely is it I'll encounter a problem?

It's up to you. There is always a chance that something does not work properly when you buy an article just after the first release. The game does work with the first patch, the main problems where the online activation and - before the patch - some graphics cards.

It's up to you. There is always a chance that something does not work properly when you buy an article just after the first release. The game does work with the first patch, the main problems where the online activation and - before the patch - some graphics cards.

Totally agree, there are always going to be teething problems, especially with a game like this. I bought it and have been pretty lucky, its a bit unstable with a few unexpected quits but otherwise totally playable. have a read around on the forums and see how others with your platform are coping, if they are struggling I recommend waiting a little while, at least until its all patched up.

I spent 5 hours playing FM2009 yesterday, it's brilliant. Well, okay there are a few faults but the TV View really makes the game exciting. I leapt up when Arsenal scored a 90th minute equaliser at Stamford Bridge and that hasn't happened with Football Manager for years. Hopefully in years to come there will be crowds leaping about too.

Just make sure your graphics card is up to scratch (mines an alright one) and your processor speed is also okay. Might be worth having a hard drive clean-up prior to loading.

If you buy it can you post how you got on with it. I'm in the same boat as you - put off with all the problems. As I said in another post I can buy DVD's/CD's that I can just play and I think piracy is a bigger problem for the film/music industry. I just want a game I can buy out the shops and play!!!

The only main problem at the moment is the activation issue, which you can clearly see by taking at look on the forum. There aren't any game-breaking bugs so far, at least not that I have read about. I myself am planning on waiting a few more days before I pick up a copy of the game as the activation issue is what's putting me off from buying it, and that seems to be due to a very high demand for the game.

I got the game on Friday and being an addict since the first CM came out way back, I think this is the end for me. I spend 3 hours trying to register and then, after finally being able to play the game, I found that every 20 seconds the bottom part of my screen gets black for a second. So irritating! I think it has to do with steam because I did not have this on the demo (not downloaded via steam). Anyway, i do regret buying it and, after all these years, I will be finished playing my favorite game series. A pity, but SI have spoiled it with this irritating steam thing.

Still a personal decision whether to buy or not though.

I got the game on Friday and being an addict since the first CM came out way back, I think this is the end for me. I spend 3 hours trying to register and then, after finally being able to play the game, I found that every 20 seconds the bottom part of my screen gets black for a second. So irritating! I think it has to do with steam because I did not have this on the demo (not downloaded via steam). Anyway, i do regret buying it and, after all these years, I will be finished playing my favorite game series. A pity, but SI have spoiled it with this irritating steam thing.

Still a personal decision whether to buy or not though.

It might be the Steam community chat thing they have. Just don't use Steam to play the game.

Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and find the FM folder. Right click on the game exe and select 'create a shortcut'. Send/drag and drop that shortcut to the desktop and just click whenever you want to play. You can then play without using Steam.

I am feeling a bit better from these comments made. I have been extremely worried about buying. Not only due to watching all the nonsense going on the forum (not a great trust building exercise!), but also I have singularly failed to get the Demo to work. My brain (not very large in capacity) has completely burnt out with the technical stuff mentioned (most of which I cant understand).

So, what do you think?.................. Do I still buy?

Tbh, I always wait a little while before buying any software, whether it's Microsoft Vista or Football Manager or anything (although I might stuggle to wait further than the release date of GTA IV). I always sit back and watch, check the fallout, see what's happening then go ahead and buy.

So yeah, I'd definitely say go along and buy it this week (based on what I've read on the forums, I haven't actually bought the game yet).

GillsMan - I refuse to listen to anything you say after the result yesterday :(

My problem is I'm not really that great with the technical side of things, so checking my processor speed and graphics card are compatible could be an issue. What do we think - take the gamble and then if it doesn't run smoothly return it?

GillsMan - I refuse to listen to anything you say after the result yesterday :(

My problem is I'm not really that great with the technical side of things, so checking my processor speed and graphics card are compatible could be an issue. What do we think - take the gamble and then if it doesn't run smoothly return it?

If only we were as good away as we are at home. :(

If you want to check if you *can* play the game, why not download the demo? There's a patch for the full game which resolves some demo issues, but see how the demo feels on your system. It's not very scientific, but should give you an idea of how well FM09 will play on your system.

Im buying a new PC so will going to wait to buy the game, hopefully some issues will be sorted by the time I purchase. Are most of the problems with activation due to Steam, or do they also apply to the boxed version?

Dont think my current PC is good enough to play FM09, but it would be nice to check, tried downloading the demo but ran into technical difficulties... waiting for the demo patch! Anyone heard any news on that?

Don't let the number of complaints put you off.

On Friday night people were either playing the game (the vast majority) or were on here mumping (a minority). Misery loves company.

I bought it, installed, got the code done at the first attempt, patched it, and was playing the game in no time.

I love this game, its great.

Buy it.

I wanted to ask the same question "Should I buy the game now?" and am actually quite confused now.

Was not the "injury' issue resolved in the released patch(es?)? And if I don't buy from steam, the only problem am going to have is to register the game, aint? Nothing with playing the game. I see some people complaining about not seeing the game correctly and black line at the bottom of the screen or something.

From what I had seen on the demo, is it the best game I have played in FM series because I spent less than 30 million pounds in the transfers and still bought Marcos Senna, Miguel Veloso (what a beast!!!) and some other players...

If you will take control of MAN CITY,you can buy the game now,otherwise dont buy it.

Because only Man City can afford you to buy at least 50 players to overcome the injuries problems.

Firstly Niall_The_Miller, try to ignore the hysteria of drama queens such as that which I've quoted above. It's not perfect, but it's a bloody good game.

Get it it's simply the best--- Interface not that fast so defrag might help. My game arrived a day early so I installed and patched to 9.1 and activated at 5 past 12 and its never crashed yet! As near to real thing that i've ever seen.--Brill

I'm thinking of going into town early this week and getting the new game as I've looked forward to it for yonks and FM08 has fallen a bit flat. But reading the posts on here, the posts on football messageboards and comments on random sites, it seems the new game is just littered with problems and there's about a 5% chance things will run smoothly when I buy it, a 20% chance it'll be messed up in places and I'll have to work fairly hard to get round it, a 25% chance I'll have to come on here whinging about a problem and be patronised by a user who's been lucky enough to buy a non-duff game and a 50% chance I'll get one that doesn't work altogether.

That sounds like more of a rant than it should be, sorry.

But genuine question, should I go and buy FM09 this week or wait 'til Christmas when the teenthing problems have been ironed out? How likely is it I'll encounter a problem?

The figures you have quoted are not correct at all, but if you wait until christmas you might be able to get it cheaper if you want to hold out for that long. Don't be worried about the game not working, I'd say because it sounds like you want to play it and worst case scenario you'll stow it away until your problem is fixed (if you have one).

Archived