Solutions for XML Parsing Errors (SI, please finally read)

So, many players , including myself, have either not been able to continue a game they have started or haven't been able to play at all. I would now like SI/SEGA to write ALL the possible solutions for the XML Parsing ErrorS (phlural) to this thread!

Also, if YOU have some XML Parsing Error after loading-screen, write it here to keep this thread up!

This should be fairly easy to resolve.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

well ive tried this and it does'nt work i still get my errors it says football manager is currently running and then shows me 5 line 17 errors that was when i clicked on it on the desktop i tried steam and it says the game is unavaliable try later....

Thanks for the answer Neil, just one more question: I am using STEAM, and when I create the shortcut to my desktop, it has the steam -icon and it wants me to login each time when I click the shortcut (which does read Football Manager 2009). Is it normal?

You obviously have not created a shortcut to the FM.exe file then. Just go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2009 and right click on the fm.exe file and choose copy. Then go to you desktop and choose paste shortcut.

well ive tried this and it does'nt work i still get my errors it says football manager is currently running and then shows me 5 line 17 errors that was when i clicked on it on the desktop i tried steam and it says the game is unavaliable try later....

You must have it running already. Go to task manager and end the process and the try.

• 3 weeks later...
This should be fairly easy to resolve.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

Created Shortcut and followed above. All appears to be working.

I had this XML Parsing Error (Line 1) Error when attempting to start a match. Could you explain why it done this Neil.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Neil,

I've tried the reset preferences stuff and got the latest Parser from Microsoft and I still have no idea what to do!!!

Can you help me please.

Btw, the Error will not even let me load up the main menu. It shuts down right before. Its something to do with the load last save game line.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

No, just create a new user or log onto another one. Then, when you get onto the main screen, choose load game. At the top where it says games, click on the list. Then go to C:\Users\(User Name)\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\games and then load the game that you want to load. If no games appear, you need to change your user to an administrator so you can get access to the save game files on the other user.

If you have any problems, post and i will get back to you asap. Good Luck and hope it works!

Archived