If you are getting: Error -51

I'm not 100% sure about this one yet - but I wanted to post it to see if it helps.

If you are getting -51 it means that the SoftAnchor activation cannot write to either:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive

On XP

or

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive

On Vista

What we have seen in a few cases is that either the:

Application Data/ProgramData, Sports Interactive or Football Manager 2009 Certificate directory's are set to "read only". You can see this by right clicking the directory and selecting "Properties". If the "read only" check box is checked - uncheck this then re-run your activation.

Another thing to check is that the files in the Football Manager 2009 Certificate are not set to read only.

Please let me know here if this solves the issue for anyone.

• SI Staff
I keep getting error 10!! what does this mean??

Do you mean error -10 (rather than 10)? If so it's an HTTP error. Can you try the proposed solution in Known issues and solutions - FAQ under "When I try to activate, it says I'm not connected to the internet / other activation problems" and see if this helps? (Download the tool and follow the instructions on how to run it).

I keep getting the error-51 when trying to activate my game. I have tried the above fix, and it still doesn't work. I bought the game via steam and don't know how to uninstall the game without losing it. Can anyone help me please?

Once you've bought the game over Steam it's yours to download again and again, whenever you need to. So feel free to uninstall the game, however you will be faced with the download process again. I'm not sure there's a way around that tbh.

i authenticated mine on one computer but when i install it on another one without internet access, it doesn't even give me the delivery method option and when it installs when i try to open it, it says failed to initialize properly(0xc0150002)

You need to update the dot.net runtimes - please read the Sticky posts designed specifically to assist with this

• SI Staff

We have created a small application that should help anybody having trouble activating the game online, successfully activate. Please follow the steps in order and if you do experience problems, please report at which step you encountered the problem and any associated error messages.

Step 1 – Download the file from http://www.footballmanager.com/fixv2.zip

Step 2 – Unzip the contents of the archive to your desktop.

Step 3 – Double click the FM09Fix.exe file. Note the screen shot below.

Step 4 – Extract the files to a convenient location, pressing Install will place them on the desktop, this is the default behaviour. Two files will be extracted – Launcher.exe and Activator.exe

Step 5 – Please double click Launcher.exe and you will see a dialog box prompting you for your license key.

Step 6 – Enter your license key into the dialog. Remember – to check your key at http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

Step 7 – Press OK - then wait 30-60 seconds and you will receive a second message. If you are successful – the message will read: Activation completed successfully. Please try to run the game

If you get this message, open the game and run it.

If the activation fails, the message will read something like: Activation failed with error: -1003. Please make sure you use the correct key and try again.

The number in this message will help us understand the problem. For example, In this case the number -1003 indicates that your license key is invalid. If the error is -1003 enter your license key into the form at: http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

If it is something besides -1003, please send Muzchap or JMordetsky a PM via the www.sigames.com forums and they will do their best to help!

• 5 weeks later...
I'm not 100% sure about this one yet - but I wanted to post it to see if it helps.

If you are getting -51 it means that the SoftAnchor activation cannot write to either:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive

On XP

or

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive

On Vista

What we have seen in a few cases is that either the:

Application Data/ProgramData, Sports Interactive or Football Manager 2009 Certificate directory's are set to "read only". You can see this by right clicking the directory and selecting "Properties". If the "read only" check box is checked - uncheck this then re-run your activation.

Another thing to check is that the files in the Football Manager 2009 Certificate are not set to read only.

Please let me know here if this solves the issue for anyone.

Not to necromance too much, but there is reason to think you're right about error -51. I ran the activation in Admin mode, and where it failed earlier, the activation succeeded now (even if the http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ link insisted the license key was invalid...)

Thanks!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I posted this in the other activation error thread, but it might be more appropriate here, so I'll paste it again...

I couldn't get the game to activate after installing as I would keep getting the [-51] error message. My pc is running Vista x64 Ultimate and it was an oem install. The user account I'm using is an admin account, so I assumed there wouldn't be an issue there (ha!). So I tried downloading and running fix2 and when that didn't work I tried setting the folder properties to not read-only for both the appdata folder and the certificate folder. But what was weird was that when I changed the properties to not read-only, when I went back in, it would revert back to read-only.

Then I tried fix3 and that didn't work, and I guess that's because of the folder properties. I thought it was weird that from an admin account, the folder permissions couldn't be changed. Then I got a hunch that it might have something to do with vista's User Account Control, so I turned it off. Uninstalled the game, restarted, and I did the normal install again from the cd. When the activation window came up, I put in the keycode, and hey presto - it activated!!

So if you're running vista, make sure you are using an admin account and have turned User Account Control off.

A word to SI. I spent about an hour meddling around with this to get it working, and its kind of annoying. And seeing as there are 41 pages of issues so far, I don't think I'm alone

So I hope for FM10 you don't implement this type of activation without proper testing on the various platforms and configs, even though it was a good idea in the sense that we wouldn't need to have the cd in the drive while playing. Technically it wasn't an issue with the activation software (for this problem), but instructions would have been nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived