Constructive Feedback to SI

Hello all,

Like many people i went out and bought FM09 yesterday for about £28 from Game UK and proceeded to install the game the same evening, i have a fast Vaio laptop and didnt anticipate many problems even though i'd read about the new protection policy etc...

So the first stage of installation was fine and Steam was installed and i thought from now on its just a formallity of entering my product code and that would be it, but the most disappointing aspect of all is that i had to wait and use a lot of bandwidth downloading the game when i assumed it would install from the CD?, I have broadband and even so it took a few hours to install so i really feel sorry for the young kids who just want to install and play without too much hassell, nevertheless after all the downloading i went to launch the game and it then wanted to update with a new patch which is fair enough, but again it took an hour or so to do this and now it was too late to start the game.

Im now playing the game today and it does seem like a great effort by SEGA and SI and i understand totally why they have tried to protect their product from being ripped off and it will be money well spent, however i personally think it should have been a simple case of install from CD, keep it simple and then use and activate the codes during play at random times etc, im no programming expert but on reflection that seems to be a better solution to many other peoples comments and reaction to the whole installation process.

I must add, since the game has been downloaded and started for the first time, it has run perfectly without any glitches or errors.

Many Thanks

John

Interesting. I didn't know it had to have Steam.

I have a Steam account; however, I chose the retail boxed route as I knew it could be a nightmare to download the game. So the Steam process was transparent to me.

This appears to be a similar thing that happened with Might and Magic: Dark Messiah - people installed the retail boxed version and a glitch on Steam caused it to request all the files from Steam - basically reinstall itself over the retail installation.

I hope this didn't happen to everyone who bought the FM2009 retail version, who didn't already have a Steam account? Might explain a lot of grief if this is what was happening.

i activated mine thru steam took me 10 mins to install and 5 seconds to enter my code no problems at all it does not download the game it just installs via steam. the only problems i found was the bleedin 0 and o in the keycode otherwise gr8 success :)

Archived