Lone Striker Problems

I've had a plethora of games now using just one striker and I've not been able to get the best out of anyone, infact, greatly under-performing would be more accurate.

I have been Arsenal (Playing Van Persie lone striker(Adebayor broken leg))

Drogba/Anelka lone forwards for Chelsea

Eto'o at Barcelona and Robinho and Huntelaar at City both tried.

I have putting Van Persie target man with ball played to feet, I've tried pumping it to Drogba's head, and I've tried slipping Anelka in behind as well as Eto'o. Nothing seems to be working.

has anyone found a lone striker that has performed yet? If so, what player instructions did you use?

I have been playing a 4-3-2-1 with 2 AMC and also a 4-4-1-1

Torres has 5 in 5 for Liverpool in my current game, playing a 4-2-3-1 with the 2 being two DMs pushing forward, full backs pushing forward and the AMR, AML, & AMC all with forward runs set at often.

Torres instructions are...

Mentality 16

Creative freedom 16

Passing 5

Closing down 8

Tackling 10

Forward runs often

Run with ball often

Long shots mixed

Through balls mixed

Cross ball rarely

Hope this helps.

I don't think you should be using the lone striker as an out and out goal scorer. He will be marked by 2 CBs and not be able to do very much. The best way to play a lone striker is to set his mentality to quite defensive (a lot less than your AMs, I use something like 8). Set forward runs to mixed or even rarely. This way he sits nicely in front of the opposition back 4 and gets loads of space and time to receive the ball at his feet. Have a few of your attacking midfielders making attacking runs and they will run past the lone striker. Once the attack has been initiated he will be able to join in. It's important to have him hold up the ball so that he can buy time for the attacking runs of the AMs and pick out the perfect pass.

Have through balls on mixed, shortlish passing, rare crossing, not too much creative freedom. Don't have too much closing down as he will chase down the opposition CBs and if you do win possesion back he will be too close to them.

Within 5 minutes of managing Chelsea I bought Podolski (from Bayern Munich) as my lone striker (No 100% convinced with Anelka yet...I don't know why!??) but anyways, Podolski has scored 8 in 5 for me as lone striker. My AML is J Cole and the AMR is Kalou, both providing great crossing and through balls (J Cole to head...and Kalou providing to feet!)

:)

Archived