48 hrs later...

Hi all,

Less than 48 hrs after the official release of Football Manager 2009, the first working "crack" of the game is already widely been spread out across the net.

The crack comes with an image of the gameDVD, plus the first official patch and a crackpatch. The image lets you install the game, the patch allows you to upgrade to the latest version (9.1) and the crack rewrites the exe-file (changes it by rewriting 4kb's) so that the activation-process is skipped. No steam, no activation, no code, nothing. Install and play, pretty much like any other "cracked" game.

With the crack comes a text file that includes:

"...

There were errors on the release of the game, Steam causing many people

aggrivation and pain. The effects on the franchise have been numerous, with

Steam at the heart of the problem. Due to high traffic levels, many people

were unable to activate the game, which had to be so via a product code

which was sent via the SI Games website, which was unavailable.

Compounding the problems with activation & installation, all lines of

communication with technical support have been in meltdown on launch day.

The official website of Sports Interactive has been crippled with disgruntled

users desperate to find out how to play the game. The only printed customer

services telephone number has been permanently engaged or ringing out.

An official petition to boycott the Football Manager series has been created

with over 12,000 signatures gathered by 3:30pm (GMT) on launch day. The nature

of the unrest has fell in line with similar issues with recently released

Command & Conquer 3.

..."

For the record, I state that I am 100% against pirating, illegal copying and stealing of any kind, and that I have bought and played Football Manager since 1995 (Championship Manager back then) and that I intend to continue doing so, because FM is simply the best game ever created :-)

I just think that FM2009 is the perfect example of how NOT to fight piracy: it doesn't stop the illegal spread and causes enormous problems for those who spend money on it. Installing the cracked version is in fact easier and faster than installing the real thing :-(

I hope this will not harm the franchise...

Greetz,

a loyal fan.

What's the point of this thread? It's like an announcement for the cracked game. And you name yourself a loyal fan?

Well he does say that he's bought every version for over 10 years... i'd say that quite loyal. But the fact is that SI need to know for the future whats going to work and what's not going to work with regards to piracy and the smoothness of release day. Ok so things messed up yesterday for alot of people... but its not like SI haven't probably been working their butts off on the game for the past few months. I'm keeping faith and believe they can get the release day right next year! And besides I've been playing the game all of today and its effing awesome!

I think he is making the point (in a long-winded way) that the battle against piracy is a losing one.

Sorry it was long-winded :-) I am indeed making a point to SEGA that there is no use in using Steam or other activation-crap. It just doesn't work and causes problems for customers....

What's the point of this thread? It's like an announcement for the cracked game. And you name yourself a loyal fan?

It's another duplicate thread. This point has been made many times on the forum today and yesterday.

However, the point is this: SI have implemented a deeply unpopular and hugely flawed system of authentication designed to fight piracy. The inconvenience to customers is secondary to the need to fight such piracy (as they are entitled to do). BUT because DRM has failed to stop pirates getting the game for free within a few hours of release but has not ceased to inconvenience honest, paying customers. DRM is pointless.

I'm personally waiting until Sunday/Monday to install and register as I'm hoping any issues I encounter will have been asked about and answered by then.

Hi all,

Less than 48 hrs after the official release of Football Manager 2009, the first working "crack" of the game is already widely been spread out across the net.

The crack comes with an image of the gameDVD, plus the first official patch and a crackpatch. The image lets you install the game, the patch allows you to upgrade to the latest version (9.1) and the crack rewrites the exe-file (changes it by rewriting 4kb's) so that the activation-process is skipped. No steam, no activation, no code, nothing. Install and play, pretty much like any other "cracked" game.

With the crack comes a text file that includes:

"...

There were errors on the release of the game, Steam causing many people

aggrivation and pain. The effects on the franchise have been numerous, with

Steam at the heart of the problem. Due to high traffic levels, many people

were unable to activate the game, which had to be so via a product code

which was sent via the SI Games website, which was unavailable.

Compounding the problems with activation & installation, all lines of

communication with technical support have been in meltdown on launch day.

The official website of Sports Interactive has been crippled with disgruntled

users desperate to find out how to play the game. The only printed customer

services telephone number has been permanently engaged or ringing out.

An official petition to boycott the Football Manager series has been created

with over 12,000 signatures gathered by 3:30pm (GMT) on launch day. The nature

of the unrest has fell in line with similar issues with recently released

Command & Conquer 3.

..."

For the record, I state that I am 100% against pirating, illegal copying and stealing of any kind, and that I have bought and played Football Manager since 1995 (Championship Manager back then) and that I intend to continue doing so, because FM is simply the best game ever created :-)

I just think that FM2009 is the perfect example of how NOT to fight piracy: it doesn't stop the illegal spread and causes enormous problems for those who spend money on it. Installing the cracked version is in fact easier and faster than installing the real thing :-(

I hope this will not harm the franchise...

Greetz,

a loyal fan.

A little more thought into the matter and it doesn't take a genius to know, that no matter what you do as a company, you won't stop piracy. The whole point of this method of activation isn't for detering the pirtates, but to encourage more sales of the genuine game, thus not sharing/selling on the game, thus making more money. I am absolutley fine with that. It's no extra inconvieniece for me as I only ever play it on one PC.

However, this is just another example of where the honest are made to suffer and an example to how crime can pay, seeing as people that have purchased/aquired an illegal copy of the game are playing it, and those, like myself, that have a legal copy of the game are still unable to play it 2 days after purchase.

:(

Why all the Steam bashing? They have nothing to do with the activation thing, it was supplied by a third party. Steam worked out brilliantly for me, and I'd like to thank SI for providing this opportunity. If not, I'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a box with the game where I live.

Why all the Steam bashing? They have nothing to do with the activation thing, it was supplied by a third party. Steam worked out brilliantly for me, and I'd like to thank SI for providing this opportunity. If not, I'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a box with the game where I live.

Totally agree with that.

Steam worked out great for me to.

Got back from the pub on Thursday night came in and downloaded and started playing straight away.

Hi all,

Could i have a link please.lol

only joking been waiting for my game from The hut for ages now gettin really anonyed.

How exactly do you know all this Rubinja?

It s not a secret. Do a google search and you ll find it all.....

You will also see thousands of US based users trying to get it, even though the game only 27 $ here.(very few wolud have a problem buying it)

The anti piracy laws are very strict here and the only reason people are tacking a risk is because you can t get the game when everybody else does.(puerto rico got it though on the 14th)

Archived