Handling defeat.

It's quite a few years now since I last re-loaded a game. However, one way I got over this was to manage clubs where defeat was relatively rare. In my last game on FM08, I went a 133-league game unbeaten run. The thing is, I don't want to manage that kind of a team on FM09. It's time I took on a job where success is, to put it mildly, not really on the agenda and defeats are a likely outcome of a number of matches.

My first game on '09 was with Derby, but that was just to have a quick look at it. I've since done the thing we can't talk about on here (hopefully you'll know what I mean) and am ready to get a proper game going. I've chosen Inverness CT in Scotland. I know for a fact I can expect to lose plenty of matches! But the thing I learned with Derby is that I really don't like the way it feels.

So what I want is some advice on the best way to handle it. How do you guys deal with managing a crappy team?

It's quite a few years now since I last re-loaded a game. However, one way I got over this was to manage clubs where defeat was relatively rare. In my last game on FM08, I went a 133-league game unbeaten run. The thing is, I don't want to manage that kind of a team on FM09. It's time I took on a job where success is, to put it mildly, not really on the agenda and defeats are a likely outcome of a number of matches.

My first game on '09 was with Derby, but that was just to have a quick look at it. I've since done the thing we can't talk about on here (hopefully you'll know what I mean) and am ready to get a proper game going. I've chosen Inverness CT in Scotland. I know for a fact I can expect to lose plenty of matches! But the thing I learned with Derby is that I really don't like the way it feels.

So what I want is some advice on the best way to handle it. How do you guys deal with managing a crappy team?

What thing we can't talk about on here? :confused:

One way I deal with defeat is by looking over on where I went wrong tactically then look forward to the next game and try and win that one. Also, take it from a realism point of view, noone wins every

game

I think alt+tab is definately your friend, browse the net, play solitaire watch tv anything until its just a game again and youve put it in perspective.

I always play on my laptop as well and my g/f is usually sat next to me and I would look a bit of a **** if I started screaming at the screen so I think that helps if you live with anyone (spouse, parents, sibling, friends etc) lol.

What thing we can't talk about on here? :confused:

One way I deal with defeat is by looking over on where I went wrong tactically then look forward to the next game and try and win that one. Also, take it from a realism point of view, noone wins every

game

It's a licensing thing. Can't be talked about on these, being the official forums 'n' all.

Realism is probably the strongest argument. Inverness are one of the weakest sides in the SPL, so I will remind myself that when the opening day comes and we get trounced at Aberdeen!

Expect defeat, grit your teeth and consider every point an unexpected succes. Know for a fact that the game cheats you out of points, players and money all the time and smile like a devious devil every time you manage to grab something positive against all odds.

Welcome to the mindset of a crap LLM manager :D

I'm managing Southampton and, just like in real life, we lose a lot of games! The media prediction was 19th which didn't fill me with bundles of hope - but yeah, it's the realism aspect. Teams like Saints, Derby, Inverness etc all lose fairly often and the manager will feel so stressed by it but rarely walks away until shoved. Keep your head up, see each defeat as a learning curb and like the post above mine says, try to win the next game!

Alternatively - manage P*mp*y and losing feels great ;)

You'l learn how to feel good from the small things such as going on a run without losing, uncovering that fantastic player, signing him on a 1 year deal despite interest from top teams).

Must admit that I love taking charge of teams in the lower echelons and slowly building them up. You'l also be more savvy in the transfer market and the higher you go...when you take another job with a team at a similar level but with slightly more funds (as I did in FM08), you'l be able to cherry pick the lower division players. :)

Also great when you manage to snag a Premier League striker through a free transfer. I did this and although he suffered injuries a lot, when he played he was explosive!

Archived