fm rights to premiership

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mustardpower:

will money from subscription fees of fm live generate enough money for sports interactive to get the rights to use the actual bagdes and kits from the premiership </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

- The money from subscription fees will go towards the development costs incurred in the last two or three years.

- EA have the rights sewn up for a while yet. It's not down to cost, it's down to legally enforcable contracts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm sure they would look to get those rights if they possibly could.

I think your chances of getting a factual definite answer on this forum are 0 though.

As no one would know except SI and I would not expect them to post a breakdown regarding what their budget is spent on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the EA part is well established fact - straight from the horses mouth, so the chances of getting a definitive answer is actualy 100%.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted 17 March 2008 13:10 Hide PostReply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

They will most likely try to get them when EA's contract ends. Even though EA will more than likely renew it with all that cash they have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be extremely surprised if EA gave up the exclusive rights to the biggest cash cow in football. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted 17 March 2008 13:10 Hide PostReply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

They will most likely try to get them when EA's contract ends. Even though EA will more than likely renew it with all that cash they have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be extremely surprised if EA gave up the exclusive rights to the biggest cash cow in football. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So would I. However, if there contract ended surely it would goto the bigest bidder? Like I said, that would most likely be EA but there has to be a point in time where the license is available to others?

DOes there have to be? EA always have rights on pretty much all the big sports and if FIFA and EA are both happy with the agreement I see no reason why it would end.

The massive & growing popularity of the firmly superior Pro Evo (I don't care who I offend any more on this issue, I'm saying it) is the only thing I can see threatening it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> DOes there have to be? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contracts usually go that way, yes. I don't think EA will have said we will give you this money and keep the licence forever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> (I don't care who I offend any more on this issue, I'm saying it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You already said it. You should however have a 'IMO' in there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

Well yes I know about EA's rights. But then Pro Evo always buy a couple of licenses.....so there must be some leeway?

What you reckon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EA have the exclusive rights to the Premier League in general. This doesn't stop Konami buying licenses for specific clubs, hence they always have one or two.

So....in that case....would Konami legally be able to buy the licence for every premiership club, specifically? Cos then there's really not much difference between having the rights and not.

And Neji.....I'm coming close to breaking point where it's almost crossing from IMO to FACT for me. Sorry. I don't want to say what I think about FIFA because it'll just spark another FIFA/Pro Evo argument which I can't even believe are still happening.

The problem with the football right is that EA buy the rights for both management and action title with the same fee.

Konami would only use it for Pro Evo (their management game never really got off the ground) and SI would only use it for FM (+FM Live) so EA can always rely on more return from their investment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

So....in that case....would Konami legally be able to buy the licence for every premiership club, specifically? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They could in theory, but it won't happen because they simply can't afford it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by asshole182:

pro evo are legally entitled to two prem clubs liscences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where does this come from?

I beleive that Konami wouldn't be able to buy the rights for all the Prem clubs because only Chelsea and Arsenal sort out their own deals on rights.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where does this come from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to mod a PES6 forum and it was common knowledge around there. I don't actually know where it comes from but i'm pretty sure it's true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by asshole182:

pro evo are legally entitled to two prem clubs liscences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where does this come from?

I beleive that Konami wouldn't be able to buy the rights for all the Prem clubs because only Chelsea and Arsenal sort out their own deals on rights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about that. I think PES's Premiership licenses this year are Newcastle and Tottenham, while Arsenal and Chelsea are back under fake names. Not 100% sure mind because I don't play PES.

The rule is along the lines of anyone other than EA can only have 10% of the Premiership teams officially licensed in a game, so two teams.

Codemasters tried to work around it a little by having a game for each team, hence Club Football.

Personally I feel Football Manager in no way needs the rights, the only major difference would be the inclusion of badges and pictures which can be easily added by the user anyway.

Ackter leave it.....I will kill people over this.....

RIGHT!!! You guys left me no choice. This is actually ridiculous.

I am referring to Pro Evo 08 in this rant.

Pro Evo is stunning. It is the closest thing on computer to actually playing. It understands the importance of first touch, vision, passing, ball physics, everything you need in real football.

Don't judge Pro Evo unless you have played a reasonable amount of football yourself, it's not a fair judgement otherwise. I'm really disappointed that people banging on about realism on this forum don't see how real Pro Evo is. If you play it thinking like you are really playing football, it works perfectly.

FIFA feels like a cartoon. Nothing real at all, you can't feel the ball at your feet like you can in Pro Evo. There's no consciousness of, possession, the ball seems weightless. No little touches to get the ball out from under your feet, you don't choose to use the inside/outside of your boot, all these things that you would need to account for in real football. Also the graphics used to be a lot better than Pro Evo whereas now FIFA graphics are starting to look like FIFA Street (a better game, as it's not trying to be real at all).

Rant over. I'm sorry Neji, I was pushed too far. I hope you understand.

I'm not going to bother with IMO because Pro Evo gets CONSISTENTLY higher scores nowadays in pretty much every review, so it's not really IMO.

I've always preferred Fifa myself. Always found Pro to be stupidly difficult to get anybody to do anything the way I want.

Fifa, I pass ball to player a... and he passes to player a. I wanna shot.. the players shoots. Love that. Not sitting there going, why the hell are you not doing what i'm saying.

But thats beside the point.

I just dont see that need for it. We get real player names, its not like we have to put up with Bavid Deckham or stupidness like that.

Its never going to make financial sense for SI to get the rights from EA, unless there reaches a time where they can pretty much guarrantee EAs football franchise would totally collapse without the rights. In which case it would probably be worth outbidding them.

What people seem to forget is SI is a business, and at the end of the day, everything has to make business sense. And since they have by far the biggest slice of the management market, they dont need the gimmick.

Pro Evo has a very good match engine for an action (instead of a management simulation) game. It is very realistic and has subtle touches which add a lot over FIFA.

But in terms of ANY action football game, transplanting it onto a tactical sim like FM will never work. FM has such a vast range of variables being read into the ME (match engine) that currently the only way to represent it fully is through text and 2D. No 3D engine has enough variable animations and collision physics to represent it well enough.

There is a 3D replay technology that's started to be used from football matches. It does very well to map the trajectory of the ball and the position of the players. But almost every action performed by a player needs to have the player-to-ball interation, even player orientation off-the-ball set manually to make it even partially realistic. Until each of these stages can be performed automatically at the same level of detail. No 3D match engine will EVER be good enough for FM.

IMO icon_wink.gif

Ok, now I'm going to wade in!

PES 07 and before >>>>> FIFA 07 and before.

FIFA 08 >>>>> PES 08

Those of you who have played FIFA 08 for any length of time should beable to realise that FIFA 08 is much superior to PES 08, unless you happened to play FIFA 08 on the PC. Which is terrible.

I'm just going to get more and more stressed if I explain why from a footballing view IMO Pro Evo is better and far more realistic. I'm surprised someone said it was difficult.

Admittedly I have tried FIFA 08 and it's......not bad.

Please understand Neji, that's REALLY hard for me to say. As it probably was for admitting that Pro Evo used to be better IYO.

I will no longer even look on this post because I will get all worked up.

So you can all call me naughty things if you like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> As it probably was for admitting that Pro Evo used to be better IYO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all. I used to think just like you. I do however try each game every year. This time FIFA has it. Sorry .. IMO.

I wont call you nasty things, even though the offer is nice icon_biggrin.gif Plus I think we got a bit off topic. This thread will most likely be closed soon icon14.gif

I believe EA spent about 30 million euros licensing Italy alone once (don't quote me, but it was a lot of money). EA can afford that due to its massive juggernaut of game lineups. I'm not sure about Sports Interactive.

Ackter leave it.....I will kill people over this.....

RIGHT!!! You guys left me no choice. This is actually ridiculous.

I am referring to Pro Evo 08 in this rant.

Pro Evo is stunning. It is the closest thing on computer to actually playing. It understands the importance of first touch, vision, passing, ball physics, everything you need in real football.

Don't judge Pro Evo unless you have played a reasonable amount of football yourself, it's not a fair judgement otherwise. I'm really disappointed that people banging on about realism on this forum don't see how real Pro Evo is. If you play it thinking like you are really playing football, it works perfectly.

FIFA feels like a cartoon. Nothing real at all, you can't feel the ball at your feet like you can in Pro Evo. There's no consciousness of, possession, the ball seems weightless. No little touches to get the ball out from under your feet, you don't choose to use the inside/outside of your boot, all these things that you would need to account for in real football. Also the graphics used to be a lot better than Pro Evo whereas now FIFA graphics are starting to look like FIFA Street (a better game, as it's not trying to be real at all).

Rant over. I'm sorry Neji, I was pushed too far. I hope you understand.

I'm not going to bother with IMO because Pro Evo gets CONSISTENTLY higher scores nowadays in pretty much every review, so it's not really IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch an AI vs AI match on Pro Evo, or FIFA for that matter, and you will realise just how poor the match engines actually are.

Don't judge Pro Evo unless you have played a reasonable amount of football yourself, it's not a fair judgement otherwise. I'm really disappointed that people banging on about realism on this forum don't see how real Pro Evo is. If you play it thinking like you are really playing football, it works perfectly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hate to get involved in this argument, especially as I supported PES every year up to PES08, and I don't even like Fifa 08 (so don't get on me about that), but I have to.

I can see what you're getting at with the "don't judge Pro Evo unless you have played a reasonable amount of football yourself" comment, because I agree that it does have an engine that realistically recreates football - but not the level of football that it's supposed to be doing.

I could honestly compare a match on PES to a high standard match in my local team's league - where positioning is really quite poor, no clean tackles are made, no superb running onto through balls is done, and there's no way to put real power onto a shot (unless your name is Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

There's a reason that real managers use ProZone, and ProZone looks like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man, how beautiful is that icon_razz.gif [me, drooling]

icon_cool.gif

Archived