Requiring a conversation I had about DRM

I was trying to explain the girlfriend what DRM was all about it, basically explaining how it stops people being able to crack a game and pirate it illegally online or other means, took her a little while to understand exactly but she got the hang of it, then I explained to her about the online activation and how you can only activate 5 times, again to stop piracy.

I have to be honest the convo went on for a fair while, the reason the conversation started was her catching me constantly on the SI forum but not actually purchasing FM09, the reason being because of DRM, I basically don’t touch games with it anymore not after past experience of a game I wont mention cough bio*****.

Anyway, she actually brought something up and I thought damn, now that’s a real smart thing for her to have said.

This is the point she brought up, now DRM, online activation is all about stopping piracy, which in turn makes the company that makes the game more money, due to making people actually buy the game instead of pirate it, which of course is the reason for DRM.

So the question she asked is, why are honest customers still paying full price for a game that now has this magic anti piracy software, surly this would reduce the price, I mean isn’t that meant to be the whole point, the company that makes the game, stops the pirates, makes more people buy the genuine version hence reduction in price for the honest user.

Now the reason I don’t buy games with DRM is because all we are doing is renting the game, I mean people make pirate trainers for example, but I haven’t seen adidas or nike tell me if I wear these trainers more then 5 times I have to go to a local shop to make sure there legal. It’s a long winded post I know but I want to believe in DRM and that it does good for consumers (we are the most important thing in retail), but the only good I can see is it lining the pockets of people that say it will help when in fact all it causes is more hindrance then good.

Edit: Regarding not Requiring in the title, trust me to post at 3am

Archived