SI please read this, regarding a FM '09 disc that won't read plus Steam

I PM'd a moderator about a thread i made and asked him if he could help!

Unfortunately he couldn't.

the problem was i bought Football Manager '09 boxed, but for some reason or another it won't read.

So the Moderator told me i should get a refund and buy from Steam.

Fine.

Tomorrow i will take it back to the same shop and ask for a refund!

Now. I looked at Steam and as far as i am aware they only accept credit cards, something i don't have.

WTF DO I DO NOW! :mad:

Pure speculation based on past experience and zero technical knowledge of how it works but worth a shot:-

Do you have any software running that links to your CD/DVD drive?

For example on mine I have PowerDVD which is program for watching DVDs, When I start up Windows it's application gets loaded. What that application does is it fires up PowerDVD automatically if a DVD is placed in the CD/DVD drive. I've had issues with reading other non-DVD (when I say DVD I mean a movie, for what's the difference between the two I refer you to my opening statement about my technical understanding ;)) discs which were solved by disabling this particular process.

A second example is Sonic DLA. On my machine it is a start up process. It apparently allows dragging and dropping to the CD/DVD when reading/writing to a media in the CD/DVD. With past difficulties disabling this particular software's start up process solved the problem (It also caused a BSOD but it was a consistent once off event and not an indication of a fundamental issue with the hardware). You can then reenable it after you have done your FM installing.

Just wild guessing based on past experience to be honest, so may have nothing to do with nothing :)

A workaround (Football Manager08's idea).

You can do it another way, install Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Then register, when you've done that. Login, and click Activate a product on steam. When you've done that, get your serial number from your Fm2009 manual and enter it in there. And it'll download

Hi lads

I registered on steam, im logged in, now where is the activate?

could someone please be kind enough to give me a direct link? :o

A workaround (Football Manager08's idea).

You can do it another way, install Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Then register, when you've done that. Login, and click Activate a product on steam. When you've done that, get your serial number from your Fm2009 manual and enter it in there. And it'll download

Its working now, Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

what a f****ing trial though :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
considerin u found the activate link

wer is it?

It seems to be a problem that SI have yet to comment on.

I had exactly the same problem. Its damn annoying as for those people with ISP download limits, its now been reduced by 1-2gb.

Its clear this should have worked by 99% of the game being installed from the DVD and then the remaining % from Steam or alternate location if this was how they wanted to ensure copyright protection etc for people buying the boxed game

Hopefully its something SI / SEGA will correct for FM10

That sounds like it's a CD drive trying to read a DVD.

Sorry Matt but this is silly. I've happily installed DVD's on either of my 2 DVD drives including the last 3 FM's fine. For some reason this year since steam/soft anchor has been introduced it chooses to download 100% of the game. If it couldn't read the dvd then it would have reported an error. this is why your reply is incorrect. The 100% downlaod of the game should then have been a question, not an automated process

It should really install 99% fropm the DVD and download 1% over the net.

There is a flaw alright Matt and its NOT with our DVD readers. This is part of the reason why so many people are cheesed of this year. I paid for the game and then have to download for 4 hours what should have been minutes.

If this sounds like a rant it is, it really doesn't help making uninfiormed and incorrect statements like that

Sorry Matt but this is silly. I've happily installed DVD's on either of my 2 DVD drives including the last 3 FM's fine. For some reason this year since steam/soft anchor has been introduced it chooses to download 100% of the game. If it couldn't read the dvd then it would have reported an error. this is why your reply is incorrect. The 100% downlaod of the game should then have been a question, not an automated process

There is a flaw alright Matt and its NOT with our DVD readers. This is part of the reason why so many people are cheesed of this year. I paid for the game and then have to download for 4 hours what should have been minutes.

If this sounds like a rant it is, it really doesn't help making uninfiormed and incorrect statements like that

Firstly if it could read the disk, it would have taken 100% of the game from the disk... Steam download is only there for if you choose not to install from the disk or can't install from the disk due to your PC. If you install from the disk and choose steam activation all it downloads is the patch.

Secondly, FM06, 07 and 08 were CD-Roms not DVD-Roms. Hardly inspires confidence when your example is a cd not a dvd...

Sorry Matt but this is silly. I've happily installed DVD's on either of my 2 DVD drives including the last 3 FM's fine.

The last 3 FM's were CD based.

If it couldn't read the dvd then it would have reported an error. this is why your reply is incorrect.

A DVD in a CD drive will not report an error, it will behave as if there is no disc inserted.

it really doesn't help making uninfiormed and incorrect statements like that

Oh the stinging irony.

I was talking to the post before mine, not you. Nothing uninformed about it.

That sounds like it's a CD drive trying to read a DVD.
Firstly if it could read the disk, it would have taken 100% of the game from the disk... Steam download is only there for if you choose not to install from the disk or can't install from the disk due to your PC. If you install from the disk and choose steam activation all it downloads is the patch.

Secondly, FM06, 07 and 08 were CD-Roms not DVD-Roms. Hardly inspires confidence when your example is a cd not a dvd...

Listen numbnuts, I didn't choose to install from Steam. To make it clear for you THE DVD WAS IN THE DVD DRIVE. I LOAD OTHER DVDs JUST FINE

If you have nothing helpful to say then say nothing

I was talking to the post before mine, not you. Nothing uninformed about it.

If its not a problem then why is it a problem?

If I bought the DVD to install from why did it install via a download over the internet.

If its as obvious as you say then why are so many people having the same problem

I'm actually over the problem now but when poeple from SEGA suggest its a DVD drive problem when so many people have the same issue of having their paid for download limits used up by a game that should install from the DVD then its not funny

I don't normally get upset but I find statements like this somewhat interesting

I'm not sure why you're insisting I have a problem - I haven't mentioned one.

The game only "installs over the internet" if you choose to pay for it via Steam. Why would you have done this if you bought a copy on DVD? My suggestion to you, as averse to my suggestion to the other user who is showing a classic sign of a DVD in a CD Drive, is that you're confusing downloading the game and downloading the patch.

The game will install, then patch the Steam client, then patch FM itself.

You won't lose any "download limits" - you manage your seats yourself.

All of that said - if you're still having issues, then you should contact Customer Services who will run through your machine spec and try and assist with the problem.

If you've done that already, still have a problem, and have a ticket number, please PM me with it and a contact number and I'll see what I can do to get you some help - we'd obviously like everyone to get their game working.

Thanks

Matt

I'm not sure why you're insisting I have a problem - I haven't mentioned one.

The game only "installs over the internet" if you choose to pay for it via Steam. Why would you have done this if you bought a copy on DVD? My suggestion to you, as averse to my suggestion to the other user who is showing a classic sign of a DVD in a CD Drive, is that you're confusing downloading the game and downloading the patch.

The game will install, then patch the Steam client, then patch FM itself.

You won't lose any "download limits" - you manage your seats yourself.

All of that said - if you're still having issues, then you should contact Customer Services who will run through your machine spec and try and assist with the problem.

If you've done that already, still have a problem, and have a ticket number, please PM me with it and a contact number and I'll see what I can do to get you some help - we'd obviously like everyone to get their game working.

Thanks

Matt

Matt - I bought the boxed version of FM09. I already had a Steam Account but prefered the boxed version to avoid a lengthy download, besides I wanted a manual in my hands, not one on the PC.

I attempted to install the game from the DVD. It didn't auto load but I could see all the content of the DVD. Thus nothing wrong with my DVD drive as I already know. Eventually after clicking the autorun off it went and downloaded the whole content over the internet. It did not ask me if it was OK, it just went ahead and did it.

The game is installed I have installed the patch and I'm happy. I'm not happy that I wasted 4 hrs waiting for it to install, I'm not happy it used 2gb of my download limit to do so, I'm not happy I had a further wait to authenticate it. I work in the software industry, mistakes happen

My point is that there is an issue here. I got around it but many people seem to have the same problem and seeing statements that its due to problems with a DVD drive for me is the straw on the camels back. I'm a software senior test manager and have been in testing for 19 years. I've worked for my current employer for nearly 10 years who are a major IT consultancy (french owned and begin with a C). I work on many projects, my current is a £11 million. I've done some beta testing for SI in the past and I've also done manual proof reading for Marc for several manuals in the past. I'm a veteran of FM having bought the first CM edition for the Amiga and every release since. My post rating should be triple what it is but the history and account got lost when SI had problem with their servers 3 years back.

I've voluntered many times my test expertise to help the test process here, not to criticise but to give it an additional set of eyes in case this assists. I'd like to think I try to help people when I'm on-line and when I can. Thats my nature

I don't want to make a big issue but this years security problems plus enforced internet downloads have come as a bit of shock, we can both see the reaction here on the forum.

All I ask, and its not for me but for people on here with problems that are being forced to download game content they've already got on the DVD be given some additional help and investment of time. I've not seen any formal response or sticky for this. PM for an e-mail address if this is a better comms method not broadcasting on the forums.

Perhaps this could be looked into in terms of being resolved.

Thanks

PS - I'm certainly not confusing this with downloading the patch. I had already downloaded that via one of the sites waiting before I started the attempt to install it. I repeat I did not request a download from Steam and nor did I download the patch. Too be honest once the game was installed and authenticated, 1 day later, installing the patch was a breeze

I attempted to install the game from the DVD. It didn't auto load but I could see all the content of the DVD. Thus nothing wrong with my DVD drive as I already know. Eventually after clicking the autorun off it went and downloaded the whole content over the internet. It did not ask me if it was OK, it just went ahead and did it.

Quite a simple problem - your PC at some point has changed its configuration so that it no longer autoruns.

Quite a simple problem - your PC at some point has changed its configuration so that it no longer autoruns.

Quite simply it HAS not changed its configuration. All other DVD's used auto run as I'd expect. Thanks for the suggestion but incorrect I'm afraid

Most of the threads I've seen where they've complained FM isn't installing, they have insisted there is no data on the DVD. This problem is usually due to out of date firmware on the DVD drive.

Nope - Just to clarify. The auto install did NOT work. Via explorer I could read the content of the FM09 DVD. No problem with reading the DVD, no problem with my DVD drive, no problem with my firmware.

I appreciate your comments but I am pretty PC literate - thanks all the same

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, hoping someone can help.

I purchased FM09 and the disk won't load. It just spins for 15min and then states it is a blank disk. I have taken the game back to be exchanged but same issue with the second disk. Went back again to get a refund but this was not granted due to copy right issues, they would only exchange for the same game...

I can watch DVDs on my DVD drive so not sure what the issue is. I have no other issue with any other disks, just FM09.

Now I have the disk I am aching to play but am feeling let down. Have I just wasted £30??

Please help

• 3 weeks later...
Guest seanfrisky

ok i have had this problem all day...... but i think i have resolved it.... my dvd drive was just saying blank disk every time i tried to auto run it as some people have found out, i then ejected disk, went start, computer, right clicked on dvd drive and hit explore, it then asked me to insert disk, which then like the miracle of xmas found all the info on the dvd and i then installed.... woohoo

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of response to this kind of error is beginning to frustrate me, after reading MrPompey's seemingly unanswerable queries, I begin to wonder how you lot can even think to release a game full of bugs, that thousands of people can't even get to open on their computer.

I am another, who is going to tell you he is 100% certain that he has a DVD drive, I have played DVDs on my comp, and burned DVDs too, that is not my problem.

Your faulty disc is the problem.

The fact of the matter is, there is nobody at SI admitting full responsibility for the lackluster game they have produced. The bottom line is that if half the people who have bought the game cannot use it to it's full potential, due to no fault of their own, heads should be rolling in production and management.

Stop telling me, and many many others that is our fault, start admitting responsibility, and effectively answer our queries.

Matty, your response and tone throughout this thread is disgusting, to call yourself a staff member yet repeatedly shun the advice of somebody who clearly has superior knowledge to you is not only stupid but disrespectful.

Looks like I to have finally got this thing working, but only down to the advice of Serpico.

I am extremely disappointed with the Customer Service Department.

I realize, before this gets brought up, that I have not my own support thread, and in response to this, I'm searching, like y'all suggest when you signup, I'm hijacking Davey Boys to state my disgust, and tell others that using the Steam installation is an excellent substitute.

Archived