Alternative method ideas for DRM protection

I'm not going to go into DRM and what has happened with the activation problems people are experiencing with FM 2009 but i'd like to comment on ideas that SI can put into use for future versions.

One thing I would like to say is that any protection of software by using DRM is limited to a time frame of no more than a week for that software to be protected. So therefore something hardwired needs introducing, look at Fifa Manager and its use of code protection...it has worked very well, this is something that needs thought for the next FM release.

How about stopping code for non-genuine copies of software? This can me in multiples to make it even more protected, say for example...you can't continue the game after a couple of weeks, you can't buy players, the game does not generate newgens, etc.

I have another idea...if SI released a FM game people should be able to get EXTRA content for the game, this would be features etc. Now...to get this you will have to provide a key or something to show you have a legitimate copy. Also more IMPORTANTLY this extra content should be coded in a way so that any copies that are not legitimate don't work. How is that done?...I don't know because that something developers might know but its an idea.

Also I would like to add...if SI did hardwire a protection system into the game like I mentioned above, they can scramble that code so that its impossible to change.

Obviously if it was easy to get at then wouldn't we see hackers changing the code and adding new stuff to the game? So this is something that needs consideration.

Its so mind numbingly simple to reduce the number of illegal copies.

Artificially bloat the file size of your game to over 10gb.

Most people won't be patient enough to download that, or they won't be able to due to it taking up anywhere between 30-100% of their monthly cap.

Now that will ensure that more people buy the game in the first week of release, as it takes time for the scene to rip games and put out normally sized releases.

Its that simple. But of course, the gaming industry has the same IQ as the music industry, so they'll never realise that, and they won't try it until everyone is on mega fast fibre-optic broadband in about 5 years time.

Most people won't be patient enough to download that, or they won't be able to due to it taking up anywhere between 30-100% of their monthly cap.

Now that will ensure that more people buy the game in the first week of release, as it takes time for the scene to rip games and put out normally sized releases.

Its that simple. But of course, the gaming industry has the same IQ as the music industry, so they'll never realise that, and they won't try it until everyone is on mega fast fibre-optic broadband in about 5 years time.

in this day and age 10 gig is nothing. you can get that in 30 mins tops

That sounds like a good idea, if they use that along with the normal DRM protection then thats a bonus for SI.

Completely not true.

Firstly - nearly every major ISP has monthly caps now, Tiscali being the most generous at 30gb (if they stick to it, which they don't).

Secondly, only people who are fortunate to live right next to an exchange or in the centre of a city can get a speed fast enough to download 10gb within a couple of hours.

Thirdly, all ISP's throttle traffic, so even if you do have a superfast connection, after you've downloaded a gig, your speed will be drastically reduced. - and this practice will become more and more common as the ISPs band together to stop piracy before they are held accountable by law.

Completely not true.

Firstly - nearly every major ISP has monthly caps now, Tiscali being the most generous at 30gb (if they stick to it, which they don't).

Secondly, only people who are fortunate to live right next to an exchange or in the centre of a city can get a speed fast enough to download 10gb within a couple of hours.

Thirdly, all ISP's throttle traffic, so even if you do have a superfast connection, after you've downloaded a gig, your speed will be drastically reduced. - and this practice will become more and more common as the ISPs band together to stop piracy before they are held accountable by law.

Strange, i downloaded World of warcraft the other day, all 30 gig of it in 1 hour 10 mins and i live in the middle of nowhere :).

All depends on your package and who your with. despite companies like Virgin threatening people with throttling the more you pay them, the less likely they are to hit you with it.

At the end of the day, ISP's need to make money just like game companies. Do you think people would buy FM if it had a protection on it that would take £39 off you everytime you downloaded something illegal for the game?

Same with ISP's they only really going to hit you if your acting like a major criminal, other than that, all they seem to be doing is sending politly worded letters to people asking them not to do it.

Strange, i downloaded World of warcraft the other day, all 30 gig of it in 1 hour 10 mins and i live in the middle of nowhere :).

All depends on your package and who your with. despite companies like Virgin threatening people with throttling the more you pay them, the less likely they are to hit you with it.

At the end of the day, ISP's need to make money just like game companies. Do you think people would buy FM if it had a protection on it that would take £39 off you everytime you downloaded something illegal for the game?

Same with ISP's they only really going to hit you if your acting like a major criminal, other than that, all they seem to be doing is sending politly worded letters to people asking them not to do it.

I highly doubt that you did, if that's the case, you're extremely fortunate.

I highly doubt that you did, if that's the case, you're extremely fortunate.

I did, but that's a completly differnet story, we're not here to compaire people's broadband speeds :D. DRM is an incredibly difficult issue, it needs to be done, but at the same time pushes people towards pirating aswell

look at EA's latest games. Spore, Command and Conquor, hits, but nowhere near as high as they expected it to be

I think as long as people are willing to buy pirate games and or download free copies there will be someone selliing and distributing them. There are two fronts for developers to fight with it.

First one is in court room, making it a seriously punishable crime for seliing or distrubiting pirate software and even for people who just buy pirate software. The law already exists up to some extend but we hardly know anyone who was punished for doing that unless they are doing it with massive numbers.

Second option is making it technically harder to pirate games. I support investment on this side as a customer who is willing to spend some money on official copies. But there is thin delicate line here; the harder they make it to crack game, eventually it gets harder for real users to start playing their game since there comes new software layers to activate the game. I heard people saying in same cases it is easier and faster to download pirate a game and crack of it, compared to buying digital version of a game and activating it. On the other hand I think it is harder than it may look to make a %100 protected game. In the end the people who cracks the games are as educated as the game developers and anything created by one human can be matched by another.

I did, but that's a completly differnet story, we're not here to compaire people's broadband speeds :D. DRM is an incredibly difficult issue, it needs to be done, but at the same time pushes people towards pirating aswell

look at EA's latest games. Spore, Command and Conquor, hits, but nowhere near as high as they expected it to be

Because of the DRM maybe?

Does anyone here support a code wired DRM kind of system mentioned in the top post?

I've no idea what you are getting at in that first post - how do SI know which are "non-genuine" copies and which are genuine, surely they only make "genuine" ones???

I would suggest to forget about DRM-ing your product and instead look to incentivise buying the retail package and/or registering the product/authenticating it. Eg the retail package should ship with separate extras, a nicely put together manual to the game that people would want to hold on to, a separate tactical guide, extras on a second disk like SI commentary on making the game or even perhaps the way vanillla and strawberry demos are done (disk one has vanilla FM, with disk two giving you the strawberry extras). Maybe a Miles bobble head in the pack???

Online registration gives you access not just to inevitable patches but also to new downloads, perhaps genuine crests and pictures again or stuff like International Managers tactics translated into Tactics saves that you can access in game, stuff like that, interesting stuff that keeps you involved with SI and makes you lose out if you are not using an authentic copy of the game.

I've no idea what you are getting at in that first post - how do SI know which are "non-genuine" copies and which are genuine, surely they only make "genuine" ones???

I would suggest to forget about DRM-ing your product and instead look to incentivise buying the retail package and/or registering the product/authenticating it. Eg the retail package should ship with separate extras, a nicely put together manual to the game that people would want to hold on to, a separate tactical guide, extras on a second disk like SI commentary on making the game or even perhaps the way vanillla and strawberry demos are done (disk one has vanilla FM, with disk two giving you the strawberry extras). Maybe a Miles bobble head in the pack???

Online registration gives you access not just to inevitable patches but also to new downloads, perhaps genuine crests and pictures again or stuff like International Managers tactics translated into Tactics saves that you can access in game, stuff like that, interesting stuff that keeps you involved with SI and makes you lose out if you are not using an authentic copy of the game.

Hopefully those people that have joined th FM Club thing will benefit from such things and those who own the illegal copies won't get anything at all.

there are just as many pirates this year as there were last year, there was nothing wrong with last years DRM.

This year, though, the game had not been sucessfully pirated before the game was released. People who were impatient to get the game as early as possible would have had to buy rather than pirate this year. This is much better than previous years when the game was pirated before release date.

So for all the problems with DRM this year, it has partially done its job.

This year, though, the game had not been sucessfully pirated before the game was released. People who were impatient to get the game as early as possible would have had to buy rather than pirate this year. This is much better than previous years when the game was pirated before release date.

So for all the problems with DRM this year, it has partially done its job.

GillsMan can you see if in future releases that SI adopt a code wired approach to protect piracy rather than DRM? An example would be Fifa Manager 2009 or is it that SI don't even want to consider that just because it comes from a user on the boards?

If it was 10gb then it wouldn't fit on a DVD which would cost them even more.

I have 300gb off peak usage (which is weekends) and 30gig peak usage throughout week, and anyone on a decent ISP will have similar limits. You would have to be a complete moron to be using an ISP like Tiscali etc. Also in this day and age you would also have to be a complete and utter moron to be downloading illegal content on P2P stuff like bittorrent.

LOOOL I downloaded the pirate yesterday didnt work because protection fm has so i decided to buy it 2 buy fm 09 2day. fm 09 is the best fm ever money well spent 27.99 whsmith. I H8 D DRM !!!!!LOOOOL THO I HAD NO PROBLEMS OF activating the code

there are just as many pirates this year as there were last year

I don't think that's true, i think some people that were really angry about their games not working because of all the DRM probably returned them and turned to pirated versions.

How about rely on the loyalty of customers. I would imagine the majority of people downloading illegal software never intended to buy it anyway. I have been a loyal customer of FM since 1993 and this is the first year I haven't bought FM and more to the point since the demo and the revelation of the DRM and the ingame advert thing, I have no intention of buying it this time round. I will stick with the flawed but working FM08 until FM10 comes around.

If it was 10gb then it wouldn't fit on a DVD which would cost them even more.

I have 300gb off peak usage (which is weekends) and 30gig peak usage throughout week, and anyone on a decent ISP will have similar limits. You would have to be a complete moron to be using an ISP like Tiscali etc. Also in this day and age you would also have to be a complete and utter moron to be downloading illegal content on P2P stuff like bittorrent.

Ehm, not that many ISPs have those kinda limits.

Secondly, its possible to artificially pad the size of an image, i.e. some of the earlier championship manager releases would show up as being 900mb on a CDR.

Watch your use of 'complete and utter moron' because it only makes yourself look like one.

Use the Stardock version of DRM. If you have a registered version, you get patches and content updates automatically. And if you don't, you get nothing.

And anyone who thinks that having to connect to the internet to authenticate/play their game is an infringement of their FM-playing rights should grow up and get a life. This isn't 1995; internet access is easy to get and doesn't just revolve around free trial CDs you got with your latest gaming magazine.

Most companies aren't going to abandon copy protection/DRM because it didn't work this year; they'll find something that does work and go with that. We, as gamers, have to live with it.

The challenge for the developers is to use a system that rewards genuine purchasers to the point where there's no real benefit to pirating a game.

Companies have tried the artificial bloat before, and the scene groups simply ripped out the bloat code, this years drm would have been fine had the authentication servers been capable of handling the load.

Im looking around pre sites and all i see are p2p releases of fm09 and still none have 100% working crack, no one has been able to remove all the drm riggers, it will happen eventually , thus rendering uniloc useless for future releases , but most games see peak sales on day 0, so it served its purpose ( miles reported day 1 sales were greater than the whole of the first weekend for 08)

no one can really guess what will happen next year, unless uniloc can stay ahead of the scene groups, next year we will se a return to before retail pirate version

Companies have tried the artificial bloat before, and the scene groups simply ripped out the bloat code, this years drm would have been fine had the authentication servers been capable of handling the load.

Im looking around pre sites and all i see are p2p releases of fm09 and still none have 100% working crack, no one has been able to remove all the drm riggers, it will happen eventually , thus rendering uniloc useless for future releases , but most games see peak sales on day 0, so it served its purpose ( miles reported day 1 sales were greater than the whole of the first weekend for 08)

no one can really guess what will happen next year, unless uniloc can stay ahead of the scene groups, next year we will se a return to before retail pirate version

Dude, seriously, for the 1,000th time, yes they have a fully working, cracked version was available midday on the 14th.

I'll theorise as I've no idea if this practical and would maintain the security.

It's fairly evident that the problems were mainly the sheer number of people trying to authenticate at the same time.

Would it be possible for all pre purchases on Steam at least to authenticate on pre order but for the authentication to be timed locally so it unlocked at release hour.

It would need to be "timed" rather than tied in with the users PC time for obvious reasons.

Might be totally impractical of course:)

As far as the internet connection restrictions and what not, in this day and age, broadband is becoming faster and better. I for one have uncapped monthly bandwidth and a connection at great speed. If I really wanted to pirate something, the size would not stop me, as it doesn't stop the people who are seeding and leeching movies and TV show series that are over 30GBs, let alone games.

It all depends on how motivated the individual is and that is what will keep piracy or any other crime existing.

There is no stopping piracy unfortunately, however there are measures to be taken that can limit it, which is what SI have partially successfully done this year, as was mentioned above. The most important weeks of a release are the first few, and by making it so it requires remote authentication which was only doable on release day, they have carved a tunnel, if you will, for people so that they would go and purchase the game.

Each year the DRM gets more advanced and complicated, and you can clearly see this by taking a memory lane to the previous releases.

I wonder what we would have in store for FM10.

With regards to the activation mess, they should go the MMO route - allow activation codes to be sent out via email for those that pre-order the game. Have your activation servers running as soon as pre-orders are made available. Simple, and it reduces a fair amount of stress on release day.

Dude, seriously, for the 1,000th time, yes they have a fully working, cracked version was available midday on the 14th.

so why isn't there a scene release and all the comments on the pre boards are about broken cracks, a quick look around the torrent sites results in comments about the dozen or so ways the crack breaks the game. if you care to have a quick look around you can see that for yourself, but that wouldnt fit your anti si campaign here would it

Im not going to discuss this again as it will result in a thread lock, clearly you enjoy playing forums more than the game, i bow to your superior knowledge.

Piracy is an issue that will never go away. The fact is that protection will always be a damage limitation exercise. I'm no expert, but it appears that the new measures taken by SI/ Sega this year have still been vulnerable, whilst at the same time causing some major consumer disrest. The answer? Not sure. Perhaps a russian roulette system- every 6th time that the game is played any where in the world, the computer blows up. Although this would be controversial, it would keep people on their toes... "and Geovanni sco..BANG!" End of PC. ;)

so why isn't there a scene release and all the comments on the pre boards are about broken cracks. if you care to have a quick look around you can see that for yourself, but that wouldnt fit your anti si campaign here would it

Im not going to discuss this again as it will result in a thread lock, clearly you enjoy playing forums more than the game, i bow to your superior knowledge.

What rubbish is that? anti SI campaign?

You should bow, because I HAVE SEEN A WORKING, CRACKED VERSION. That's why I'm telling you that it is out there ffs.

You have to realise that people who comment in torrent threads don't have a clue what they're doing.

You should bow, because I HAVE SEEN A WORKING, CRACKED VERSION. That's why I'm telling you that it is out there ffs.

You have to realise that people who comment in torrent threads don't have a clue what they're doing.

if you have seen a working crack that allows you to play more than 1 season , then congrats , you're the only person on the internet , like i said, every pre forum every pre site , every private board , and every public torrent site is saying the same thing , there is no 100% working crack that allows continued play of football manager, thats why there is no major group with a release yet.

uniloc for now is working

Use the Stardock version of DRM. If you have a registered version, you get patches and content updates automatically. And if you don't, you get nothing.

Agreed.

And anyone who thinks that having to connect to the internet to authenticate/play their game is an infringement of their FM-playing rights should grow up and get a life. This isn't 1995; internet access is easy to get and doesn't just revolve around free trial CDs you got with your latest gaming magazine.

I grew up in a world without CCTV on every street in town, without "reality" TV pumped at me from all directions. I value my privacy in these days of Big Brother. I don't like any software I buy connecting to the internet without my permission. I don't like the idea of software being unusable unless I let it connect to the internet. The ease of internet availability is a red herring - the issue is about privacy not about the availability of internet access.

Most companies aren't going to abandon copy protection/DRM because it didn't work this year; they'll find something that does work and go with that. We, as gamers, have to live with it.

We the gamers are customers and we essentially pay their wages. If we don't like something and we don't buy it, they will have to change or join the unemployed queue. The consumer has far more power than is commonly held to be true.

The challenge for the developers is to use a system that rewards genuine purchasers to the point where there's no real benefit to pirating a game.

The developers need to provide a game that is exciting, entertaining and good value for money.

if you have seen a working crack that allows you to play more than 1 season , then congrats , you're the only person on the internet , like i said, every pre forum every pre site , every private board , and every public torrent site is saying the same thing , there is no 100% working crack that allows continued play of football manager, thats why there is no major group with a release yet.

ffs you are completely, totally and utterly wrong. Stop trying to make an argument.

There are certain versions out there that allow you to play on as along as you like, the only drawback being holiday mode doesn't work. Now this thread was made to suggest alternate DRM methods, not trying to get on Si's good side by making up fallacies about there being no cracked version around.

no....................

pretty ridiculous comment.

perhaps if YOU have 100mbit like some wacky Swedish people out there, you can.

/

for 'normal' people, about 6-24 hours to download.

stop thinking you are "most people".... when you clearly have some ridiculously fast internet that is MILES above average.

30 mins for 10gb ....... LOL - ok Mr. 100mbit

Also in this day and age you would also have to be a complete and utter moron to be downloading illegal content on P2P stuff like bittorrent.

A large amount of people torrent things because they actually get a better experience than buying things.

Companies don't realise that DRM break their own games.

People get better quality by pirating SOME things, than they do from buying them.

Until DRM is removed from games, and games aren't "broken" by their own protection - this won't change.

People would be happy to pay for things, if they didn't have to deal with horribly restrictive protection that breaks the game they paid good money for.

/

DRM only hurts paying customers.

It doesn't stop the pirates at all.

/

EA anybody?

no....................

for anyone with a NORMAL connection, 10gb will take................. 6 hours?

that is 500kb/sec - more than 90% of the world's connection speed.

500kb/sec - for 6 hours - non stop.

let me correct you - "24 hours tops" - ta

so for normal people, about 6-9 hours to download.

stop thinking you are "most people".... when you clearly have some ridiculously fast internet that is MILES above average.

and on another subject - Steam is totally fine - people who say "omg Steam shouldnt be allowed for FM 2010" - are chatting rubbish.

Steam is totally fine - its just a shame some idiot decided to use some rubbish company to authenticate a key that is already authenticated - instead of using Steam's built in key auth - then there wouldnt have been ANY problems.

I would like to see FMLive / FM2010 on Steam.

BUT WITHOUT SOME POINTLESS ACTIVATION SOFTWARE.

meh not going to argue, if you say 10gig takes 40mb 6 hours and i got it in 1 and a half meaning i must be on 100mb

that's fine with me, i'm only paying for 40mb so it's not really any loss :D

no....................

for anyone with a NORMAL connection, 10gb will take................. 6 hours?

that is 500kb/sec - more than 90% of the world's connection speed.

500kb/sec - for 6 hours - non stop.

let me correct you - "24 hours tops" - ta

so for normal people, about 6-9 hours to download.

I don't really understand what you mean normal. There's a variety of speeds in internet connections in every household and it'd be very unfair to call a group of individuals with similar speeds "normal".

My P2P speed is rated at 40Mbps, which by using bandwidth converters, would take about 35-40 minutes max to download a file that is 10GB in size, given ofcourse it is done by using maximum potential and the influencing factors are at their peak.

Keep in mind that everywhere you go in the world, it's very different and the standards of some things vary significantly.

Enough of that though, we're going off-topic.

I don't really understand what you mean normal. There's a variety of speeds in internet connections in every household and it'd be very unfair to call a group of individuals with similar speeds "normal".

My P2P speed is rated at 40Mbps, which by using bandwidth converters, would take about 35-40 minutes max to download a file that is 10GB in size.

Keep in mind that everywhere you go in the world, it's very different and the standards of some things vary significantly.

Enough of that though, we're going off-topic.

you can download at 40mbps? really?

Anyway, Si could have saved themselves a lot of aggro if they had just distributed the authentication codes with the pre-orders instead of creating one gigantic bottleneck.

No, mate, you misunderstood.

The speed is measured in 40Mbps, not 40 Mb/s. Completely different scales.

That wasn't exactly what I meant, i just find it staggering because the fastest anyone can get in my area is 10Mbps. Here we're on 1.0Mbps, which gives us max download rate of around 150kb/s

Sorry but that wont work at all. First thing is that people already download games close to that big (8gb dual layer dvds) and it is still going strong and lots of seeds giving you atleast 500 kb/s, the download limit you talk about isnt here and isnt in most countries, actually i dont know anyone here who got that (Denmark) or heard of it since the dial up time.

Second of all if they just filled the dvd with random crap the crackers just rip it out of the games, they have done that many times before just like they do with dvd movies and the customers would also go ahead and download the ripped game because they dont want 10gb of crap on their laptop when they can have only 2... It doesnt take much time for them at all.

Thirdly people buy seed boxes just to seed something like that where they can seed with thr speed of a server like this.

So no it isnt that simple and i believe it is you with the crappy IQ, thank got for 20mb/s line here or however you spell it (2000 kb/s). Thing is nothing works and if anything did i can tell you they would already be using it, all this and the solution you mention will just make people like me consider downloading it instead of buying.

Just a warning to everyone - and a reminder of the house rules about piracy. Obviously discussing piracy and cracks has its relevance in a thread about DRM, just please remember the rules and don't discuss actual pirated versions of FM. We have to take a zero tolerance approach, especially round release time, so please bear this in mind.

If you see any cracked versions, please email the details to piracy @ sigames.com.

Ta,

GM

Archived