I feel sorry for SI

Instead of saying i'm taking this back for a refund and such, why don't you let them actually do what they need to do. And fix the game, its been 22 hours since it came out. And everyone is moaning. I only just got it to activate, and now im getting a few errors. This will obviously be fixed though.

They only put the DRM in, to try and stop pirates. But pirates will always win, and its obvious Sports Interactive will learn from that.

No, they didn't try and stop pirates. They knew that the DRM wouldn't affect pirates, they just put it there so they could stop second hand sales and increase direct sales.

And now they're getting what they deserve.

As i predicted two weeks ago, pirates are happily playing the game while a large number of people who bought it cannot.

People who have paid for a game but are unable to use it, whilst pirates have already got a working version, have a right to moan.

I'm usually a supporter of SI, but this farce is far from acceptable - they can hardly claim to have been unaware of the demand - they comment on their sales on the box ffs.

I hope the humour in you complaining about people complaining hasn't been lost on you ;)

Look, perspective, we have waited 9 or so weeks since the release date was announced so what is another going to do?

Yes i know its not the point, and we have paid money etc etc, but when it works,(and not gloating!) like mine works, with the patch, you will see SI have been very very busy

I feel sorry for them to be honest, the actual game is fantastic, but we all saw the 0-day activation problems miles off, its happened to many big name titles which chose to go the online activation route, bioshock had these issues, warhammer online had issues when only 200'ooo people tried to authenticate beta keys, fact is no system can handle the ~3-500'000 keys that were likely attempting to authenticate today.

Sadly FM 09 will now go down in history as "another DRM **** up" rather than the greatest game SI have made to date.

Mine is 100% working now. Reinstalled the game, and it works fine.

^ Yes. But it will be fixed shortly, you think a big company like SI and Sega are just gonna walk away from this? No they won't, they will fix it.

Any decent company would test their product and activation services properly before making people pay for something they can't use.

In fact, I take that back, a decent company wouldn't use DRM in the first place.

• SI Staff
Any decent company would test their product and activation services properly before making people pay for something they can't use.

In fact, I take that back, a decent company wouldn't use DRM in the first place.

I can assure you that we did test the activation service (and this includes stressing it out). However, there were problems that were out of our control today on the servers that meant the whole issue was made a lot worse.

I feel sorry for them to be honest, the actual game is fantastic, but we all saw the 0-day activation problems miles off, its happened to many big name titles which chose to go the online activation route, bioshock had these issues, warhammer online had issues when only 200'ooo people tried to authenticate beta keys, fact is no system can handle the ~3-500'000 keys that were likely attempting to authenticate today.

Sadly FM 09 will now go down in history as "another DRM **** up" rather than the greatest game SI have made to date.

I can assure you that we did test the activation service (and this includes stressing it out). However, there were problems that were out of our control today on the servers that meant the whole issue was made a lot worse.

Marc - while your here. When i enable "threading", does that mean the game will use all of my cpu's? (I've got a Quad Core)

Thanks very much.

Aye it's such a shame because as you say FM09 is fantastic

Hopefully it'll all blow over in a week or so and people will enjoy the game enough to forget about the disaster of release day

People who talk about getting a refund are just being emotional.

What would be the point of returning it, then realising that in a couple of days time everything would be working for the installation and you could be playing it.

People need to cut out being stubborn, and let SI just deal with the problems.

Marc - while your here. When i enable "threading", does that mean the game will use all of my cpu's? (I've got a Quad Core)

Thanks very much.

yes, take a look at windows task manager when the game is processing full detail results, will use all four cores.

I think it is ridiculous that people are making such a fuss.... ok, yeah its annoying but SI and Sega decided this plan of action to benefit the customers.... however, this went wrong.

It is not entirely their fault however, if it weren't for the thousands of internet pirates, this would never have happened... as a result, i blame illegal downloaders for the faulty system not necessarily SI.

The only thing that does however aggravate me about the situation is SI's lack of help... they could have provided their very loyal customers with a brief outline as to when they expect these issues to be sorted instead of saying the same old "we are working on it"!

I also totally think that those who claim they are no longer going to buy SI products are talking a pile of 5hit. i guarantee they will come crawling back once SI release more fantastically, addictive games..

They are not simply going to ignore the pleas of help from their fans, something will be done, no doubt about it...

Cheers

I think it is ridiculous that people are making such a fuss.... ok, yeah its annoying but SI and Sega decided this plan of action to benefit the customers.... however, this went wrong.

It is not entirely their fault however, if it weren't for the thousands of internet pirates, this would never have happened... as a result, i blame illegal downloaders for the faulty system not necessarily SI.

The only thing that does however aggravate me about the situation is SI's lack of help... they could have provided their very loyal customers with a brief outline as to when they expect these issues to be sorted instead of saying the same old "we are working on it"!

I also totally think that those who claim they are no longer going to buy SI products are talking a pile of 5hit. i guarantee they will come crawling back once SI release more fantastically, addictive games..

They are not simply going to ignore the pleas of help from their fans, something will be done, no doubt about it...

Cheers

Couldn't have put it better myself. Although I have tried and my threads have been repeatedly closed.

Cheers

Get a clue :D This DRM was always to benefit themselves, not the customers.

• SI Staff

Tonight is not the night for post mortems on what went on today, speculation on what went on today, or conspiracy theories.

Tonight is the night for getting people up and running with the game which they bought earlier today.

At some point over the weekend, I will do a post explaining what has gone on in the last 24 hours. what went wrong, what caused it, etc.

Tonight is not the night for post mortems on what went on today, speculation on what went on today, or conspiracy theories.

Tonight is the night for getting people up and running with the game which they bought earlier today.

At some point over the weekend, I will do a post explaining what has gone on in the last 24 hours. what went wrong, what caused it, etc.

Now my copy is working, im fully willing to accept a case of red bull as an apology, or a years sub to FML as i cancelled mine at the last minute losing my beta discount , Whatever one you prefer

Mucho thanko

treble yell

You blame the pirates for this shambles?!! SI/Sega will lose alot of customers for FM10 I think cause this will make alot of people think about downloading the game next year. The pirates are happily playing now. The paying customer is not. This is coming from someone who installed/activated within 10 mins and is very impressed with the game.

Mr Miles Jacobsen.

I empathise with you more than I do us customers to be honest. After the reaction tonight, I think you and the SI team have realised how many of your customers are young children.

Mine is working fine.... i went out to the shops and bought it.... i have had no problems whatsoever!

i just think those who are complaining should not be so selfish and just let SI/Sega get on with what they are doing!

Lets be realistic here. Pretty much ALL the people who have had problems with the activation process, will get it sorted and they will love the game. This time next week it will all be forgotten and there will ne some bug to blow out of proportion instead.

Yes, it shouldn't of happened, but SI say that it was out of there control, and I believe that. The farce that has come as a result is unbelievable, how posting on a forum complaining about the same thing, and crashing the forums(very helpful for SI trying to solve the problem) would help anybody, but will actually just cause a bigger problem, stress more people out.

As for anyone who says that the DRM benefits themselves only is so narrow minded. It is obvious it benefits both, and a pointless and thoughtless comments, please just be constructive, help OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU, and while you might not want to, help SI out and be constructive.

Thats a great one too mate! :D

Sorry mate, 'you're outta time', you better just 'slide away' now....and on you're way out, please 'dont look back in anger'.

I know...i'm sad ;)

Back on topic though - I think we should all feel sorry for SI tonight. Also, remember its a weekend and they're gonna have to work their little socks off for all of it!

I can totaly understand that steps needed to be taken but i for one ,cant understand why steam needs to be used to combat illigal copying of game not that it doesnt work or anything like that but ive just got it to work on vista ,after installing it on my other pc running xp.

When i tried to install on vista i had crashed to windows explorer,couldnt find disk [no media in drive] and having to restart pc numourous times. Iam playing it and guess what steam has to be on for it to work and my cursor lags/jumps because of steam running in background

this and all the hassle nearly everyone has had is not good enough for the best manager game in the world ever .Iam sorry but i never liked steam as i paid for game in the box and find not all the data is on disk so everytime i play fm09 i have to be online [could be corrected on that] but,what happens if my net is down and i cant play fm09 that is wrong .So feeling sorry for sports interactive i dont, they and saga have taken my hard earned cash and wasted atleast 4-6 hours of my time, is in my book not they way it should be done so i dont feel sorry for either si or saga i feel sorry for all the loyal fans of football manager out there that had problems not made by themselves ,

Yours

R@ziel

Will you explain these issues that were out of your control to the community?

Archived