Si / sega - please give an eta for mac patch. No news isn't good news

• SI Staff

Sorry guys, unfortunately we have come across some problems with the Mac version on certain graphics cards, which means we will be unable to release the 910 patch tonight. We'll keep working on these issues and get the patch out as soon as we can. I don't want to give you an ETA as I cannot guarantee it will be met at this stage.

Apologies once again from all at SI for not getting the patch out to you today.

• SI Staff

Sorry guys, unfortunately we have come across some problems with the Mac version on certain graphics cards, which means we will be unable to release the 910 patch tonight. We'll keep working on these issues and get the patch out as soon as we can. I don't want to give you an ETA as I cannot guarantee it will be met at this stage.

Apologies once again from all at SI for not getting the patch out to you today.

Where can I get my money back? This isnt at all what I paid for. This is downgrading us to 2. priority and leaving us with a copy of the game we cant play? After all youre telling us this with releasing a patch (that should have been here by now) on the first day of the release!!!!? AND then, you cant give us a ETA? I really want my money back now. And the worst thing is that you specific told all mac users that it would be here today. Imaging what would happend if you treated the PC users the same way?

Dear all at SI;

First of all, I would like to thank you for your prompt response to this thread and being able to give us an answer. I can understand that, to be perfectly honest, most of you are already thoroughly sick of today and just want to go home or down to the pub and forget about the nightmare that has been 'Friday the fourteenth'.

It would be hypocritical of me to say I was not frustrated or disappointed as I imagine the majority of users (both PC and Mac) are by the events of today and that the launch could have been smoother in many regards and so in the spirit of constructive feedback, without petulant whining or moaning, I would like to make the following observations:

1) It is obvious there there has been a distinct lack of testing of the 'gold' version of code as well as the individual components and the complete package on offer. There are very few excuses for this, particularly the DRM SNAFU, however, I can only imagine that the product was rushed to completion in time for the Christmas shopping season and to keep the rolling development/release schedule intact.

In the end it is the customers and long term appreciators of the series who are paying for this laziness and slap dash approach to the product. Taking away my own personal feelings on this issue and speaking as an IT developer, this is wholly unforgivable in releasing a product that is in effect no more in extended beta. I do hope you learn from this lesson and that there will be more thorough testing, particularly when both product, documentation and third-party software packages fail to meet the simplest of criteria and are obviously bugged. E.G. 'So, let's right click and... oh ******!', 'Is that a "1" or a "I"?' etc etc.

2) Whilst you are to be lauded for your rapid response in having a PC patch ready for launch date, it is very disappointing that the Mac patch is obviously something that has not been addressed until the past couple of days, as in 'we'll get to it when we can'. Whilst Mac users make up a much smaller percentage of your user base, treating them as second class citizens and leaving them with an 'unplayable' game (although I suppose this goes for some PC users too...) over a weekend and probably the majority of next week is very poor.

I appreciate you have to prioritise and the PC user base is much more important due to the sheer magnitude in comparison, but I feel you are falling prey to what I like to think of as 'Molyneuxism'; namely making outlandish promises that will in no way be met satisfactorily and then backing down at the last minute. This is far more hurtful than actually being told we have to be patient - the truth I can live with, lies and deception to boost first day sales is very poor practice otherwise.

I would also question the excuse of problems arising with Mac graphic chipsets - compared to the variability of PC graphic cards Macs essentially have a fixed architecture and working within the constraints of the 'required system specifications' this should leave you with a very small subset of chipsets to deal with - and that's not excluding chipsets (Intel GMA I'm looking at you...) that are stated to not run the 3D match engine.

In closing, I'd like to thank you if you've taken the time to read this, I've tried to be objective and not pour vitriol and bile on what I imagine is already a very bad day.

I won't be rushing back to the store and demanding my money, I will have patience and have faith but I would beg that if anything is garnered from this release that lessons are learnt and fans of the game do not have to suffer this disappointment year on year.

Archived