San Marino "double" Challenge 2008

Ter

• SI Staff

San Marino Challenge 2008

It's back and it's, er, more or less the same as it was before. As before, the challenge is pretty simple. Take the San Marino club side from the lower Italian leagues to Serie A and the second part is to qualify for an international tournament with the international side. You can do this in any order you please and have two managers if you want.

Setting Up Your Game

Leagues: Italy down to Serie C2 and any others you want to choose

Database Size: Your choice

Retain Players From Nation: San Marino

Rules

This is just for fun so there aren't really any rules. If you want to cheat to enjoy this challenge then go ahead and cheat, but don't come on the forums boasting about your progress if you have cheated. icon_smile.gif

Good luck guys!

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I documented in the other thread, i was released for overachieving, pretty gutted as I was going to have a serious go at this icon_frown.gif

By the way, by my estimation, to break even initially, you'll need to get your wage bill down to about £7k/week. Good luck with that...

Please note, I'm a long way through this, so screenshots are at a premium for the first few updates. Apologies for this

A New Era at Serravalle?

Following the San Marino side's disastrous relegation to Serie C2/B, the board have taken the bold step of appointing an unknown from the Monte Titano region of the capital.

Daniele Spottiginio had an undistinguished career with the Juvenes side before injury and the realisation of his own crapness prompted his retirement and move into management.

The board have awarded him a two year contract with the express aim of turning San Marino Calcio into a "Major Player in the Serie C2/B" by the end of the two years.

Spottiginio in his welcome press conference admitted to having not the first ****ing idea what that is supposed to mean, but has promised to do his best for the Titani and their loyal fans.

2007 / 08 Season Update - spotg

2007/08

Serie C2/B: 3rd

Pld 34, Won 14, Drn 13, Lst 7, For 45, Ag 37, GD +8, Pts 55

A pretty decent first season for us, all things considered. I inherited an aging squad that needed some pretty serious overhauling to start to get the profile that I wanted. The goals of Carruezzo were vital, along with the loans from Cesena of Jidayi, Bova and Cristea in particular. The third place finish saw us into the playoffs, where we were paired with SPAL, a team who had taken 4 points from us in the league season. And the play-off semi was no different, as we were beaten by a goal to nil in both legs. icon_frown.gif

The Serie C cup was a competition with no expectations placed upon us by the board. Which was lucky, as we went out in the group stage.

Sadly it took me about six months to realise just what sort of state the finances were in at the club, and that despite the board giving me around 14k a week to spend, they really didn't have anything like that available. By this time I'd signed a number of players from the San Marino clubs, as well as elsewhere on medium-term deals, and we up to my limit on wages. Cue six months of offering nigh on every player I had out, for £0, to anyone who was interested. And still we got to 500k overdrawn. With the board battering my door down and "distraught and devastated over the state of our finances", what else could I do?

Obviously no money to improve the facilities at all, and the board were telling me in no uncertain terms that winning the league and sorting out the financial situation were the only things likely to win me a contract extension.

Intrernational side were woeful. No goals, no points. Their manager seems incompetent too...

Lots of work to do over the summer, but a free run at Cesena's reserves should help. icon_smile.gif

Apologies for the slight delay. We had to go and make an emergency pineapple upside-down cake. And the Arsenal - Sevilla game is quite distractingly interesting too..

2008 / 09 Season Update - spotg

2008/09

Serie C2/B: 1st

Pld 34, Won 25, Drn 8, Lst 1, For 86, Ag 33, GD +53, Pts 83

2007/08

We absolutely destroyed the league. The figures show our superiority. Unfortunately, to all intents and purposes, the "we" was Cesena Reserves, as I had to basically give away every contracted player to try to do something about the abject financial situation. Ferrini, Zanigni, Mazzotti, Buda, Jidayi, Bova and Cristea all came in on free loans from Cesena, and all played the majority of the season. Add to them the free signings of youngsters from abroad who only wanted £500 p/w - Lartey from Leverkusen, Erkaya from Schalke and Nijs from Belgium, and we had a side that romped home. Cristea and Zanigni both scored > 20 goals. Lartey and Erkaya both got > 15 assists. And the defence was miserly, despite my relatively gung-ho approach. Our only defeat came early in the season, away to a mediocre Juve Stabia side. Amusingly, passing us on the way down were the once mighty and now debt-ravaged Reggiana.

Got to the second round of the Serie C cup, with some good results against higher placed sides, before Pescara did for us.

Wins over Massese and Andria secured the Serie C2 super cup too, to leave the board thrilled with my performance, and the award of a new three year contract. Long-term target was to establish the team in serie C1.

Finances were now just about under control, and we were holding steady at around 200k in the red, thanks to the removal of most of the squad, and the board helpfully injecting cash every month or so.

No change in levels of facilities at the club, or the woefulness of the national side who were still yet to score a goal in competition play.

The promotion to C1 was vital, as hopefully the stadium will fill up again, and we can start to build a squad....

2009 / 10 Season Update - spotg

2009/10

Serie C1/B: 5th

Pld 34, Won 16, Drn 8, Lst 10, For58 , Ag 41, GD +17, Pts 56

2008/09

2007/08

Our joy at reaching Serie C1 was unconfined, and then as the season started, it became confined. "San Marino's board has cancelled the link with Cesena, due to them playing in the same division". icon_mad.gif The bastards got relegated (to C1/A), and we had to waste precious weeks of recruitment hoping for a good replacement, and then hoping that they still had people available to loan. Two weeks later, that joy was lacking confinement again, as the communists of Livorno agreed to share their wealth with us. Five came in on loan, along with a couple of Hungarian U-21s who looked good, were available on a free, and agreed to a trial.

We still suffered from a shaky start to the season, with an early exit from the Serie C cup, and flirting with the bottom well into the new year. However, the finances were recovering, and a couple of player sales finally allowed us a little transfer money. A bid was immediately placed for last season's hero Cristea, who mystifyingly was out of favour at Cesena.

January 9th 2010 will become a red letter day in the history of San Marino Calcio, as Christian Cristea agreed to sign for a club record £40k. Immediately he was asked for opinions of Romanian U-21 team-mates to bring with him, and a week later, Tudor Mandrusca followed.

The Romanian pair, and another Hungarian recommended by Takacs made an immediate impact, and we lost only one more match all season to storm into 5th place and the play-offs, goals being shared between Cristea, Mandrusca and (the deceptively quick) Immobile who had come on loan from Livorno.

The play-offs saw us paired with Taranto. A much much bigger club, whom we had destroyed 4-1 earlier in the season. However, the fear was they'd want revenge, and despite a 2-1 victory at home, they rolled us over 3-0 at their place to knock us out.

Financially, we were starting to hold our own, but still not making much money, still in debt, and still unable to break that cycle. So still no improvements to anything about the place.

Similarly, no improvement to the national side, and no sign of the inept manager being dismissed...

Originally posted by Boskovic:

The sacked for over achieving bug seems to be fixed.

However, after scouring the bugs forum, it seems that its been replaced by a 'board thinking the playoffs are to avoid relegation' bug. I made the playoffs twice and it seemed that the San Marino board thought that meant I only just scraped out of being relegated instead of coming 90 minutes away from promotion. icon_frown.gif

Ideally I'd like to load one of my autosaves and get my new contract that I deserve, but I'd hazard a guess that the next patch wont be out until Feb, so until then its Merthyr Tydfil - at least the English leagues have been tested, so less chance of killer bugs.

Well, its taken all of my Scottish experience I could muster, but I've decided to put my past heartbreak behind me and look to the future, and have started this challenge over.

Things looked hopeless to start as my current team lost 7-0 in our first friendly, but calling upon my past experience I knew that I had to strike fast at building a team before my transfer budget disappeared permanantly. Only 2 original players were retained, with replacements brought in for all players other than Capece on left wing and Di Maio in central defence. In total 11 new players joined the club, but only four were able to be offloaded for a combined £160k. The money will help, but I'm disappointed I couldnt take more off the wage bill - especially Turchetta, who is the highest earner at the club.

With the transfer window just closed our new squad is locked in and looks promising - two 1-1 draws in the Serie C cup were both the fault of Dei, who has since been replaced, and an extremely impressive 2-0 win away to Spal, tipped to be our top promotion rivals.

My manager nationality is USA/Canadian - I wanted someone who spoke English like I do for real, but wanted two non-EU passports so that after 5 years I can gain a 3rd, San Marinese one icon_razz.gif However, I didnt want to dominate an obscure country's hall of fame as I did in 07 with Puerto Rico, so USA it was. It also gives me the pointless but oddly fulfilling Spanish and French languages - added to Italian and perhaps with some temporary international jobs while I wait for Mazza to retire, I can trot around the world collecting languages, something I've always oddly enjoyed.

This time around my goal is straight promotion - try not to let the board have any excuses to moan, bugged or not.

I really like the sound of this challenge. Kind of enjoying my current game with a German side as I have got them to the 1.Bundesliga and I want see if I can keep them there. But once that’s over will give this a crack.

Out of interest do they get San Marino regens or Italian?

Most of their regens are San Marino, and all players signed for the club work towards a San Marino passport for their residency. You can only sign one non-EU player per year though, so takes a fair bit of planning to give San Marino new players that way.

Interestingly, there's about 5 or 6 very good players on amateur contracts playing within San Marino at the start of the game - I signed 4 (too many central defenders to pick them all up when I need to keep wages down), not sure if thats because they're set to have good ability in the database or just because with all San Marino players retained a couple lucked out with randomly generated stats.

Originally posted by Oktober:

Most of their regens are San Marino, and all players signed for the club work towards a San Marino passport for their residency. You can only sign one non-EU player per year though, so takes a fair bit of planning to give San Marino new players that way.

Interestingly, there's about 5 or 6 very good players on amateur contracts playing within San Marino at the start of the game - I signed 4 (too many central defenders to pick them all up when I need to keep wages down), not sure if thats because they're set to have good ability in the database or just because with all San Marino players retained a couple lucked out with randomly generated stats.

If you're happy to name them, I can tell you whether they are as good in my game..

I also picked up three or four from the San Marino leagues around the start of the game.

Carlo Valentini, DRL / DM

Luca Nanni, DC

Marco Di Luigi, AMRC / FC

Also Fabio Vitaioli, DRC who I chose not to sign as I had a decent right back already and didnt want to break the wage bill, Simone Bacciocchi (DC) (Wanted too much wages, now in November he only wants £450 so I'm trying again), Michele Moretti (MLC) (Didnt fit my tactics, very strong mentally but slightly physically lacking), Giacomo Maiani (AMLC), Matteo Bugli (AMRC), Damiano Vannucci (WBL, AMLC) and Nicola Albani (DR).

Lorenzo Moretti is unattached but scouts picked him up, AMRL who I've just offered a backup contract to.

Lots of talent to be had within San Marino, only problem I've found is that they tend to ask for a bit too much in wages.

Does seem to be an amount of randomness in there then.

Of those, Carlo Valentini, Matteo Bugli and Michele Moretti were good enough to play for me in C1, along with a chap called Marani (DM/AM C). None of the others were up to much.

Starting to see some decent regens now in season 6 (will post some screenshots when I get round to the latest updates), and Cristea (Rom) and Erkaya (Tur) are close to being eligible for Sanmarinese nationality, so will be interesting to see whether they take it...

Someone did with the national team in 06, but it was aided by some obscure regen issues that meant Belarus started producing San Marinese regens. I've got them up to the Serie A but no international success, someone in the 07 topic had got the club into the Champions league.

Boldly striding into 2008, the Serie C2/B table looks like this and the future looks bright for San Marino Calcio.

From my very first match in charge of the club, it was obvious that major changes needed to be made sooner rather than later as we slumped to a dismal 7-0 friendly loss to Cecina. Lack of fitness and/or motivation aside, only two players from that day were retained as an entire new team's worth of players were brought in. Having been given the option to either win promotion or the league outright, I chose the latter and put the funds to good use, knowing I'd not soon get them again. Would it pay off?

Early signs in the Serie C cup weren't promising, as we crashed out in the group stage. The team performed well, but dropped 4 points due to Dei errors, so right on the brink of the window shutting a final new goalkeeper was brought in, and the team were tasked with nothing less than the league title.

Amazingly, the team gelled very quickly, with the new goalkeeping gamble paying off, Michele Tardioli more than earning his repeated clean sheet bonuses. Building on our rock-solid backline, David Solari provided the firepower going forward to take a lot of solid victories, supported in part by the stunning performances of Giampiero Maini.

Going forward, obvious weaknesses are the age of the key players in our team - Maini in particular is very unlikely to continue at the level we've been enjoying for long, and a good replacement AMC is proving extremely hard to find. We also seem to have played most of our difficult games at home so far, so the second half of the season could well prove much more problematic. On the other hand, it may also allow us a comfortable enough lead at the top to go into those games with very little pressure, while underneath us there is very little difference between the chasing pack. Finances are unavoidably poor as expected, so scouting knowledge will become invaluable at finding gems on free transfers.

For the short term though, Roma have accepted a £0 bid for Adrian Pit, whom we are currently in negoatiations with. If terms can be agreed, he will surely be a major, major coup for the club.

Tardioli's ability and form crashed and I dropped down the league like a stone, conceding virtually every shot on target. I dont think I've ever detested one of my own players so much before, he's single handedly killed my season. There's a replacement coming in in the summer, but have to start over.

The most concerning thing though, is this. I knew that I shouldnt have been sacked in my previous game, this seems to just prove how massively broken the confidence is - its actually inverted, where if I overacheive it goes down and underachieving puts it up. I've tried not to be too critical of SI, but really... this should NOT be an issue. And I just know that I'm going to have to wait until February to get a fix for this, because it looks bad if the game needs 3 patches rather than "just one and a January transfer window update". Combined with residency issues and the broken B-team registrations, and issues with amateur teams not turning pro, I'm beyond disappointed at how this version of the game has turned out when there was so little added to break it so substancially.

2007/2008

Serie C2/B - 1st: PLD 34 W 24 D 5 L 5 G.D +47 PTS 77

Signings:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Luca Nanni FREE

<LI>Antonio Scro FREE

<LI>Christian Cristea LOAN

<LI>Salavatore Fresi FREE

<LI>Ricardo Villar LOAN

<LI>Alberto Giuliatto 18k

<LI>Sullivan Jous FREE

I got more than i really wanted from the season, but i'm not going to complain tbh. Mirroring what spotg said earlier, CARRUEZZOs was brilliant top goalscorer (18) and his goals from GIULIATTOs crosses(22 Assists) were vital in our championship winning season. my home record of 17 Games 17 Wins, was the most impressive of my season in terms of achievement.

The Serie C Cup was a complete car crash, and obviously the board weren't too happy with my performance in that. luckily my league performance changed fortunes around.

the financial situation well.. it's total AIDs, i'm 500k overdrawn although being in my budget, selling my reserves and youth teams, i doubt i'll be out of the red anytime soon.. it's annoying as im seeing good young talent to sign up, but i can only sign them on high % sell on fees.

The future is looking good, now sold 1000 season tickets.. but we're still making a loss icon_frown.gif

Mon The Marino icon14.gif

Nice update BBC icon14.gif How's Portsea island coming along?

Sorry to hear about the slump Oktober. It really does seem that you have to get out of C2/B in the first two seasons to have a chance here. Pit looks excellent though - he's playing Serie A in 2012 in my game. Albeit as a right winger icon_confused.gif

2010 / 11 Season Update - spotg

2010/11

Serie C1/B: 2nd (won playoffs)

Pld 34, Won 17, Drn 11, Lst 6, For 72 , Ag 43, GD +29, Pts 62

2009/10

2008/09

2007/08

A season of decent progress on the previous, with the key signatures of Caldirola and Cala on loan from Livorno at centre back, and our first "Serie A potential" player, the Romanian Chipciu, recommended to the club by his U-21 colleague Mandrusca. And it was the goals from Mandrusca and Cristea which provided the main platform for the charge to promotion - 54 between them. Whilst we got nowhere near Champions Avellino, we were fairly confident that we could take any other team in the league, and that was how the play-offs panned out as Catanzaro were dismissed 7-2 on aggregate, and Grosetto 3-2 to put us into Serie B.

We made the first round proper of the Serie C cup, and were humiliatingly dumped out by Melfi of Serie D. The humiliation was tempered slightly by Melfi's run to the final, but the fans were reminding me of that loss well into the end of the season..

Two major events for the club on promotion. A new two year contract for Spottiginio, with a brief to avoid relegation from B by the end of it, and the announcement of construction of San Marino Stadium. A 10037 seater stadium with under soil heating, due to be ready on July 3rd 2011. The possibility of breaking even in a season arrives..

Yet again, no news on improvements to facilities or in the national side - they have still to score a goal in competitive football...

This update brings us up to date pretty much, so we'll have a post shortly with screen shots of key players, records, etc

2011 / 12 Season Update - spotg

2011/12

Serie B: 7th

Pld 42, Won 16, Drn 13, Lst 13, For 60 , Ag 58, GD +2, Pts 61

2010/11

Serie C1/B: 2nd (won playoffs)

Pld 34, Won 17, Drn 11, Lst 6, For 72 , Ag 43, GD +29, Pts 62

2009/10

2008/09

2007/08

Excellent first season in Serie B saw us miss out on the play-offs on head-to-head record with Verona - probably a blessing to tell the truth, as we were nowhere NEAR ready for promotion, and only a superb unbeaten run of 16 towards the end brought us up from trouble. Key signings we're a Belgian U21 centre back, who should be good enough for A should we make it, and for some unknown reason, the captain of the Spanish U21 side was rotting at german side Furth, and came to us on a free. His goals once he settled in were the key to our 16 match run.

Got through two qualifying rounds in the Coppa Italia to be unceremoniously dumped out 3-0 at home by Messina.

Financially we're just about in profit now, thanks to the TV money of 1.5m available in B, but still only enough to increase training facilties by a single notch, and nothing for the youth facilities.

On the plus side, the end of the season saw the retirement of the San Marino manager, and Spottiginio is hired, with a team loitering in 162nd in the world, and still without a competitive victory.

I hope beyond all hope that this works. This has taken ages.

spotg screenshot special

San Marino Calcio

Club Info

Team Landmarks

Records, Part 1

Records Part 2 Club Info Affiliated Clubs Finances Confidence

Manager

Spottiginio

Key Players

All TIme Best Eleven Christian Cristea Yalcin Erkaya Alexandru Chipciu Tudor Mandrusca Mike Hanson Sercan Sararer

San Marino National Team

Team Info

Squad Rankings Records

Key Players

Albani Bindi

De Luigi Selva Toccaceli

The Challenge Ahead

Euro 2014 qualifying

Jeez spotg, Serie B alreay?? icon_eek.gif

Developed any San Marinese wonderkids yet? icon_razz.gif

I've been trying to drag Queens University Belfast up from total obscurity to relative obscurity, but I WILL be having a go at this!.

Getting sick of a league where even the big clubs are part-time. You find a decent player and within six months his stats have regressed to the point where he's next to useless because the training is guff. Oh well, better be getting on with it.

KUTGW!! icon14.gif

Nice update BBC Thumbs Up How's Portsea island coming along?

ahh coming along nicely icon_cool.gif

anyway, these updates are looking good.. been really busy with my uni work to get round to playing this game.. near the january of the second season hovering just below the playoff zone.. need to find a replacement for Carruezzo before i think about moving up a league

Originally posted by Boltman:

Jeez spotg, Serie B alreay?? icon_eek.gif

Developed any San Marinese wonderkids yet? icon_razz.gif

I've been trying to drag Queens University Belfast up from total obscurity to relative obscurity, but I WILL be having a go at this!.

Getting sick of a league where even the big clubs are part-time. You find a decent player and within six months his stats have regressed to the point where he's next to useless because the training is guff. Oh well, better be getting on with it.

KUTGW!! icon14.gif

Have been playing this as my only game since release date, so it's not as mad as it might look.

Have had no updates to my basic youth facilities, so none of the players I posted from the San Marino NT squad have come from my academy, which is sad... But Bindi will be a star. Good Serie A potential, and starting to get playing time and goals for me in Serie B.

Update

Ok i started this about 2 days ago. Im only half way through the first season however.

LONG TERM PLANS

1. Obviously be manager of both national and Domestic San Marino Sides

2. Upgrade youth facilities at the club side to the maximum

3. Have a Domestic San Marino squad with nothing but San Marinise players.

SHORT TERM PLANS

1. Sort out the poor finanacial situation.

2. Try to attract more fans to the club.

3. Secure promotion in the first season.

4. Cut the huge squad down to 21 senior squad players and 0 reserve players.

Well ive started on my long term plan to create an all San Marinese squad. I signed a total of 7 players of home nationality in the first transfer window. I also however had to settle for signing an italian left back. My first big signing however was niether San Marinese or Italian. It was actually Spaniard Striker Alex Fernandez from Coslada for £0. My hope is to nationalise him to San Marino. He did start of pretty slow on the goal front but after smashing in 4 in one game he has turned his season around scoring regularly.

I have also began work on the back room staff with the aquisition of two scouts and a coach. I hope promotion will allow us to attract a better standard of backroom staff.

Im hoping to sell a few players in the January transfer window which has just opened. Im about £3k over my wage budget and this is crippling my finances. With an average attendence of about 850 we are not getting in enough money to cover the wages. If i sell everyone i intend to in January the wage budget will have been bought back under control.

I currently lie in 3rd place three points off the top. After having not lost a league match in our first 8 (but drawing 5) we went on a terrible run of form and dropped as low as 7th. We have turned things around since then and have climbed back to 3rd place with the future looking good. Our most notible result was a 6-7 defeat in the Serie C Cup, after being ahead 5-2 and then restoring our lead to 6-5 we conceeded two late goals to lose.

On the international front San Marino won their last game of the qualifiers 3-0 over slovakia to record their first win in the Qualifiers.

What is the maximum non eu players you can sign? I had a transfer cancelled and it told me i wasnt allowed any? i hadnt signed any yet and i was under the impretion i was allowed 1.

You are allowed one non-EU player signed from overseas per season.

Also as a note, I've had a few Italian players who have been eligible for Sammarinese nationality for over a year now, and have not elected to take that option up. I'm hoping my Turk and Romanian will do so when they become eligible towards the end of this season, because if not, this challenge suddenly gets much much harder....

Good luck icon14.gif

The one worry i have with alex fernandez is that he was called upto the last Spain u19 squad but only after an injury to another player. He never played though and u19s dont matter when it comes to selecting who to play full internationals for but i dont want him getting noticed yet.

Christ the national team is difficult /o\

Two games played so far. 0-0 at home to American Samoa in a Friendly, and then a 5-1 horsing in Austria, who basically twigged that they just had to hump it forward to their target man and he'd win every single header against my appalling back line.

Well i started this challange when the game came out but I decided I would have a break from it and jsut came back to it now, with it currently being the 2nd of March in first season. Are just give you a brief summary of the first 2/3 of my season.

2007 / 08 Season Update

2007/08

Pld 24, Won 17, Drn 6, Lst 1, For 42 , Ag 12, GD +30, Pts 57

SO far the season had been exellent with us having taken first place from the first match day and steaming ahead of everyone else with us now controlling a 15 point lead with 10 games to go.

SerieC2.jpg

I told the board I expected the come first and get promoted and so they offered me a handsome wage budget for a club of our stature and a nice transfer budget of 30k. After a dismal pre-season wit 1 draw and five losses we started the season with a 4-1 cup win over C1 side Massese in the group stage of the Serie C cup. After that win things went from strength to strength with only one shock lost to Portosummanga we have really dominated this league and the team are now just cruizing to the finish line. Are defence is by far the strongest in the league with us only conceding 12 goals all season and most of them comming from about four games where we were effected by a lot of injuries in defence and with our strong run in the Serie C cup with us about to enter the quater final things are looking rosey.

However the club is still losing money and that is something that we seriously need to sort out, though I did manage to arrange a couple of friendlies for the reserve team that pulled in some cash. The attendance started off adismally low but it has now got up to about 100 every game so I cant complain.

As for signings I went to the San Miranise leagues and gobbled up anyone with even a tiny bit of talent in my attempt to develop San Marinase players. I also brough a few other players in to bolster the squad and to lower the age of the squad a bit with some loan signings from Cessena being very useful. However I only managed to get rid of one player in Florindo for the princely sum of 9k.

Transfers.jpg

Fomose Mendy has to be one of the best bargains I have ever got as he is turning out be a start player (in the context of Serie C2).

mendy.jpg

I cant however seing San Marino the country doing well for at least 500 thousand years, even with me at the helm...

Well either when you create your manager select nations and San Marino from list of teams or if allready during a career declare intrest in the job (which can be done by viewing the team), though realistically you wont have a chance of getting it untill the current manager leaves, which may take a while with such low expectations...

Archived