Why is Stephan Appiah unable to attain a work permit?

He's obviously one of the best free agents on the game but he just can't get a work permit in England.

Now what I don't understand is that he's a player with an above-average reputation having played for the likes of Juventus in his career and he's STILL a full Ghana international. I was always lead to believe that if a player had played 'X'% of international games in 'X' amount of time then he would be eligable for a work permit. Appiah is just short of 50 caps for Ghana and has featured regularly alongside Essien in midfield.

Also there were rumours in the summer of him coming to the Premiership with him being linked with Portsmouth among others from what I remember.

I'm only going by the "pre-patch" demo but I'm not expecting it to be any different in the full-game (which I'll be purchasing within half-hour :)) So I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to why this is the case?

He's obviously one of the best free agents on the game but he just can't get a work permit in England.

Now what I don't understand is that he's a player with an above-average reputation having played for the likes of Juventus in his career and he's STILL a full Ghana international. I was always lead to believe that if a player had played 'X'% of international games in 'X' amount of time then he would be eligable for a work permit. Appiah is just short of 50 caps for Ghana and has featured regularly alongside Essien in midfield.

Also there were rumours in the summer of him coming to the Premiership with him being linked with Portsmouth among others from what I remember.

I'm only going by the "pre-patch" demo but I'm not expecting it to be any different in the full-game (which I'll be purchasing within half-hour :)) So I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to why this is the case?

Because God hates you. Have a nice day! :D

He was injury last 2 year.

I remember football player must play %15-25 ?? in 2 years or like this.

And he didint play national team last 2 years.

Maybe for this?

75% actually. And It's the only reason I can think of. In real life, that's the reason he's unemployed: he's supposedly in no fitness to play but is trying to despite the advice of his doctor. Hasn't played for the national team in ages due to the injury.

Appiah is just short of 50 caps for Ghana and has featured regularly alongside Essien in midfield.

He actually has more than 50 caps (he won his 50th against Australia at Loftus rd in 2006). Plus he's the national captain. Doesn't he also have an Italian passport anyway???

75% actually. And It's the only reason I can think of. In real life, that's the reason he's unemployed: he's supposedly in no fitness to play but is trying to despite the advice of his doctor. Hasn't played for the national team in ages due to the injury.

He's fit now and has played twice since coming back. Of course the game starts before his comeback, so his last appearance with regards to FM would be November '07.

Irl, Appiah got a career-threatening injury and tried to comeback but with no avail a couple of times. Each try aggrevated the seriousness of the injury and thus, he hadn't been able to play for Ghana National Team for over two years. It makes perfect sense for him not to get a WP. Having lived in UK as a non-EU citizen myself, I know those regulations as my girlfriend was denied a WP after a successful job application. The rules are very strict and a professional football player who hasn't played any international football in the last two years would no way get a WP, no matter what his career history is.

Archived