How to play FM on a MacBook Air (no DVD drive)?

Stupidly I bought myself a mac book air earlier this year (don't ever EVER do this), and I installed the cd via remote cd drive on a windows laptop on my network (as reccomended).

Now though, the game is asking me to insert the CD which I cant physically do on a macbook air...what can I do?

Thanks in advance guys,

Jake

x

Jacob - at present there is no fix - really sorry!

However - I will raise this and maybe we can do something with the MAC patch due out sometime this week. Please PM me so I have all of your contact details.

In the meantime - do you have a usb optical, or can you ethernet to another MAC/PC share the Optical drive and launch that way?

My attitidue was fine until I had a barrage of wild accusations thrust at me. Muzchap, I thank you for your help but I worry for such a snitching, uneducated, rude community I really do.

I've edited the thread header as it was the title that was attracting the negative feedback.

Being a Mac user myself, and one who would have stayed with a PC if FM hadn't been available for Macs, I appreciate your problem. I'm going to clean up the thread of all the negative, mis-read posting and hope it becomes a key aid for those with MacBook Airs.

Hi guys,

Yes - any USB to IDE or SATA cable (few quid off ebay) will work with a conventional drive (again as little as £10 on ebay).

Please don't waste £70 on a 'branded' product - the multifunction USB to IDE/SATA cables are also useful for HDD's etc.

P.S. Excellent work in cleaning up the thread WWFAN :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Still wishing a fix for this... :( It's quite annoying to have to drag a CD with me and not be able to play if I don't have it with me! I can't even imagine if I had an Air...

Add to that the fact I'll be switching my superdrive into a secondary hdd soon (FM is one of the very few uses I have for it) and I surely don't feel like bringing an external USB drive to play a game that doesn't even need that on Windows (I know, because of Steam -- which I've had a huge argument with because of their inability to cooperate and just make a dang Mac version of their client, even if just for the games available on the Mac *already*) *humph*

Anyway, please work on this, maybe for FM2010!

Thanks

Just a thought ... Can't you download and install FM using digital installers and activate using Uniloc? This way no DVD drive is needed. I am currently doing the same in my machine (both laptop n desktop) though they have DVD drives. :thup:

I run my FM without my disc. When you have the disc inserted into your remote cd drive open disk utility. From there create a disk image of the FM disc. After that you should have a disc image which you can just mount when you want to play FM :), hope that helps

• 2 months later...
I run my FM without my disc. When you have the disc inserted into your remote cd drive open disk utility. From there create a disk image of the FM disc. After that you should have a disc image which you can just mount when you want to play FM :), hope that helps

jammywd is correct - I have a Mac Book air and have an ISO of the game I mount then it's good to go - I never need to connect an external drive again.

BTW FM2010 plays very well on my machine (2.13 Ghz model) - something I was very worried about.

• 7 months later...

How can I do this with FM2010

I connected to my pc with shared drive. I also created a disc image. I succeded in installing it this way but it stills prompt me to insert disc when I try to run the program.

Can anyone help me - is it possible to run with steam?

I was going to suggest that you use Steam as its now available for macs.

[RANT}

On a different note though, god you were gullible to buy a Macbook Air. I swear nobody with any common sense at all bought one, the only people that did were apply fanboys who believed apple when they said it was the best laptop ever.

[/RANT]

Anyway though, as others have said, give Steam a go and it will probably work.

In my mac Air i resolved the problem with a portable DVD Driver.

I was going to suggest that you use Steam as its now available for macs.With

[RANT}

On a different note though, god you were gullible to buy a Macbook Air. I swear nobody with any common sense at all bought one, the only people that did were apply fanboys who believed apple when they said it was the best laptop ever.

[/RANT]

Anyway though, as others have said, give Steam a go and it will probably work.

If you don't have a MacAir you shouldn't be talking about it. I have one and it is the best buy i ever made. (And no, i'm not a fanboy... it's the only apple product i have)

Don't see the point in MacBook Air's at all. Severely reduced functionality at a stupid cost.

I seem to say that about a lot of Apple products - but that's what they're like.

iMacs, Macbooks, iPhones good - the rest of their stuff is just gimmick crap for toffs.

Surely you just make an image of the CD and then mount it to a simulator? That's how I play on my laptop because I cannot be bothered with the vibration and heat that comes from playing with a CD. Plus it's much faster.

You have to mount the image file to the simulator -every time you play the game-, by the way. If it's prompting you to insert disc then you probably haven't done this.

Archived