Has the 2D Classic Lag been fixed?

In the same boat here - does the patch improve the incredibly disappointing 2D performance present in the demo? If yes, will there be a revised demo so we're not shelling out £25+ blind, and if no, do you plan to address this in a future patch? Crazy that some blobs on a screen, visually the same as the last few versions' 2D engine, runs far far worse than games like Half Life 2 and even Bioshock if i turn the settings down low!

Well I'm playing it now and having just scrapped a 1-0 win (despite the ball being in about 10 places at once!), it seems to be just as bad as the demo.

Wish I hadn't spent £25 now...... are you going to fix this in the patch SI!?

Also when changing tactics during the game, I have 4-4-1-1, the AM and CF appear twice after making the sub yet you can only move one, anyone else have this!?

Well I'm playing it now and having just scrapped a 1-0 win (despite the ball being in about 10 places at once!), it seems to be just as bad as the demo.

Also when changing tactics during the game, I have 4-4-1-1, the AM and CF appear twice after making the sub yet you can only move one, anyone else have this!?

Not looking good SI...

Is that with the patch? Or have you not downloaded it yet?

I'm playing the full patched version and it seems fine. Admittedly I didnt play in 2D on the demo, but from what I've just seen from a test game, 2D Classic seems to play the same as FM08 did, and the new "2D" setting is actually pretty impressive, and trumps classic.

But yep, no lag or anything like that from what I've observed.

Yep, it's with the patch :(

When is the next patch out!?

What's with the horrible 2D view now anyway, last year it looked so much better when it filled the centre part of the screen, this year there is a big black area around it. I know TV View is an option but I don't like that because all the sidebars are gone then

I'm playing the full patched version and it seems fine. Admittedly I didnt play in 2D on the demo, but from what I've just seen from a test game, 2D Classic seems to play the same as FM08 did, and the new "2D" setting is actually pretty impressive, and trumps classic.

Out of interest roughly what sort of PC specs have you got? Mine is comfortably above the minimum supported requirements but by no means a brand new, state-of-the-art rig, ran 07 and 08 perfectly, but lags like mad on this. Also "2D" (not classic) is terrible, at least in the demo - flickering blobs and the ball is invisible when at the feet of a player in a white or yellow shirt

Also there is a long delay when the match starts, when I click 2D with the "please wait", really annoying.

Just watching another league match as a neutral now, that one seems ok, apart from some sound glitches, much different to how my last game was with the same settings.

I don't have time to play a match I am in charge of now, but I bet it'll be the same tomorrow. I think basically if you had problems in the demo you still will :(.

I'll see how I get on on my laptop though, might be better with the different graphics.

My spec is Intel P4 3GHZ, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7300GS graphics card. The card probably needs replacing anyway, just want to know if it's my graphics card or a bug in all versions of FM

Out of interest roughly what sort of PC specs have you got? Mine is comfortably above the minimum supported requirements but by no means a brand new, state-of-the-art rig, ran 07 and 08 perfectly, but lags like mad on this. Also "2D" (not classic) is terrible, at least in the demo - flickering blobs and the ball is invisible when at the feet of a player in a white or yellow shirt

I'm running it on a laptop, so its above the min specs, but like yours, by no means state of the art. To give you an idea I can only just run 3D on medium. Like I said I didn't play 2D on the demo, but both seem fine. And yeah I have noticed an issue on the "2D" setting, the counters seem to go opaque and clash with each other, but Classic seriously seems exactly the same as FM08.

An interesting thing I've just noticed is that when viewing with "2D", changing graphics settings in the preferences menu makes a difference, e.g. on mine increasing them to high makes it lag, but lowering it down again makes it run far better. Not sure why this is the case, perhaps because it's using the 3D engine...Hmm...

Did you have ANY lag at all on the demo? Even 3D?

Did you have ANY lag at all on the demo? Even 3D?

If I lower the settings to low-med then no. That's just to do with the specs of my laptop though. On a side note the match engine seems to be performing much better. I wasn't that impressed with it on the demo, but now it really seems good. I think it's been cleaned up a bit, with the animations and movment etc. I think there were a few things mentioned on the patch notes.

My spec is Intel P4 3GHZ, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7300GS graphics card. The card probably needs replacing anyway, just want to know if it's my graphics card or a bug in all versions of FM

hmm, that's noticeably better than mine and you're still having poor performance? not a good sign at all and you have to worry how many of the more casual gamers that always buy FM in droves will really struggle to run 09 well (and surely the perennially low system requirements are part of the games' huge market appeal?)

There was a post by a dev in the thread about having 13 players on the pitch - they fixed it, but too late for 9.1.0, so it will be in the next patch. I haven't heard anything about lag, not that I've experienced it.

Lag is still there on 2d on the full game even after the patch, 2d was perfectly fine of FM08 for me but its pretty much unplayable on FM09...the whole match engine seems poorly optimized in my opinion....hopefully (if there is one) a 2nd patch may solve this when they have more time to sort it out

I would hugely appreciate some feedback as well, please.

My laptop has a 2.6ghz P4 processor, a Nvidia Geforce 5600m graphics card and 512ram, so I wasnt expecting to run 3D. But when I tried the demo, it did actually start on 3d without turning it off automatically and, despite being a little laggy and with long delays, it did run without crashing. So my computer cannot be THAT bad...

But it obviously wasnt good enough to play long term, so I turned off the 3D and thought I would use the 2D view. Unfortunately, with the demo that was impossible, as it was at least as jerky as the 3d engine, in either view. This was hugely disappointing.

Obviously, whether this will be fixed is going to be a huge factor in whether I purchase it or not.

Obviously I would love an upgrade, and have been laying the groundwork with the wife for ages! But its hard to justify in the current climate, so in the meantime it would be nice to be able to use the 2D as we were assured would be possible.

Thanks

hmm, that's noticeably better than mine and you're still having poor performance? not a good sign at all and you have to worry how many of the more casual gamers that always buy FM in droves will really struggle to run 09 well (and surely the perennially low system requirements are part of the games' huge market appeal?)

I agree with that, lots of my mates asking me if the lag has been fixed (Zack = Computer Support round here! So most of them have worse computers then me even though mines nothing special). A lot have said they won't buy it until patch 2, hopefully that comes out soon!!

I'm playing a game with my team now, with low quality selected, and it still lags like hell.

On the old version I was able to select league table, then it swaps back to the game when there is action, on this version there is a massive pause (can see the clock going, 29,30,31,32.............................. takes me onto the classic view eventually, 32:01...........takes me back to league table, 40,41,42............takes me onto classic view). It's pathetic, can't SI have 2 interfaces, it's not hard. 2D or 3D. Now you have screwed up 2D as well as made a dodgy looking 90's style 3D, great……

There was a post by a dev in the thread about having 13 players on the pitch - they fixed it, but too late for 9.1.0, so it will be in the next patch. I haven't heard anything about lag, not that I've experienced it.

Ah thanks for that, hopefully this patch isn't far away then

I'm not joking, this **** is unplayable. I just played the second half, massive massive lags, the more the match goes on the more you get. Everything is so so slow. So with me top of the league I have to do something I would never do normally and stop playing it, it's unbelievable what planning goes into this.

Well done SI, you got whatever percentage of the £24.99 goes to you out of me, but you won't be getting a penny more, ever, unless you fix this ****. Oh and I’ll recommend to everyone that they don’t part with a penny of their cash for this rubbish.

I will try it on my laptop later, but my PC is above the specs and so I expect it to work, well, no matter what I play it on :mad:

I'm not joking, this **** is unplayable. I just played the second half, massive massive lags, the more the match goes on the more you get. Everything is so so slow. So with me top of the league I have to do something I would never do normally and stop playing it, it's unbelievable what planning goes into this.

Well done SI, you got whatever percentage of the £24.99 goes to you out of me, but you won't be getting a penny more, ever, unless you fix this ****. Oh and I’ll recommend to everyone that they don’t part with a penny of their cash for this rubbish.

I will try it on my laptop later, but my PC is above the specs and so I expect it to work, well, no matter what I play it on :mad:

There we go, SI won't be getting my $30.

2D runs bad when you are watching a movie or even when you are watching something on ****ing youtube at the same time, great job destroying one of the things that made fm so special (being able to do stuff while playing) and they didnt even fix how small the ****ing pitch is in 2d because of the ugly ads that they have to fit into the game to earn more money to pay for more expensive drm crap.

2D runs bad when you are watching a movie or even when you are watching something on ****ing youtube at the same time, great job destroying one of the things that made fm so special (being able to do stuff while playing) and they didnt even fix how small the ****ing pitch is in 2d because of the ugly ads that they have to fit into the game to earn more money to pay for more expensive drm crap.

sorry but maybe im being silly but whats the point of watching a youtube video or "doing something else" when you are in the middle of a game?

surely the whole point and the most important thing is to see how your players perform, you cant do this if your "doing something else"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh it works on my laptop. Found another host of bugs though. When I start with 442, one of my forwards can play in CM too, when I move him to midfield midgame he keeps swapping with the out and out CF, making my midfield useless. I had a CL game away to Inter (about as hard as I could get for the first CL game) and I had to change it 3 times :mad:. Plus the 13 players thing too. And the setting up match thing is annoying......

Hopefully all of these are fixed in the patch....

At least it's kind of playable on the laptop, even if it is so annoying

i agree wiv spoony,

i think 8 times out of 10 people r seein lag on 2d because of this 3d bein introduced, i prefer the 2d anyway the 3d is like playing a 1996 fifa. its vile.

for the recored i hav some lag on my 2d too. why change something so good ay

My pc is above spec and I still have lag during the match. The most annoying thing for me is when you make a sub it takes x amount of time setting up match. It is really putting me off and makes the whole thing a chore rather than a pleasure. Because of this I have played about two matches then turn it off. Dissapointed.

• SI Staff

We fixed a cause of 2D classic lag in 9.1, but it would appear there is still an issue for some users. Please use the bugs forum to post details if you suffer from this, including info on your PC spec so we can try to improve it further for 9.2.

I am also experiencing the same problems... even in the 2D Classic mode the players are just moving as if they were all injured... that's very bad...

I don't care about the 3D match view or TV cameras, I just want to be able to play a match without having to spend lots of time between starts and changing from TV cams and 3D... I've unticked the option that allows 3D in the preferences and chose Commentary Only in the Highlight Mode...

so... why everytime I start a match I have to loose my time switching from TV Mode and seeing the pitch if I chose Commentary Only?

Why can't there be an option, that was in the games before... simple and quick... and that's it... it's not that difficult...

As for the 3D, everyone has it's own opinion, for me I'd prefer some 10 new leagues or more than having to stare at skinny players that sometimes don't even move...

the secret is simplicity and user friendliness...

Archived