Almost always drawn away from home in domestic cups

Does anyone else have this problem? I have played seasons upon seasons of FM 08 with the latest patch and I am drawn away from home in domestic cups like FA Cup, Carling Cup, German Cup, etc. This is not an aberration, this consistently happens to me season after season. I'd say that I play about 90% of cup games away from home. Even if I save a game a few days before the cup draw and then re-load it after the draw to see if anything changes, it will still draw me away every time just against a different team. This makes winning domestic cups almost impossible when you are forced to play away nearly every time.

Originally posted by this_game_is_unrealistic:

Does anyone else have this problem? I have played seasons upon seasons of FM 08 with the latest patch and I am drawn away from home in domestic cups like FA Cup, Carling Cup, German Cup, etc. This is not an aberration, this consistently happens to me season after season. I'd say that I play about 90% of cup games away from home. Even if I save a game a few days before the cup draw and then re-load it after the draw to see if anything changes, it will still draw me away every time just against a different team. This makes winning domestic cups almost impossible when you are forced to play away nearly every time.

That's either a run of poor probability, or you're just exaggerating.

Wrong. No exaggeration. Unfortunately, I just deleted past saved games or else I would go back and record statistics on them. With my current game, Gladbach, I went through the first season and lost in the German Cup semis. So far, i'm in the second round of the German Cup in the next season. Out of 7 games, i've been drawn at home once. So, my estimate of 90% is not that far off. The sample size is small, but I will now start keeping track as I feel lucky to even get drawn at home 1 in 7 times now.

Instead of acting like an employee of SI, realize that people do post factual information and don't just vent frustration on these boards.

Instead of acting like an employee of SI, realize that people do post factual information and don't just vent frustration on these boards.

Or instead of throwing your toys out of the pram, realise that it's a 50% chance of being drawn at home and even tails can come up a million times in a row.

Your sample size isn't small, it's atomic. Come back when you've been drawn away 100 games in a row. Or 90% of games over a thousand game span.

It's 50/50. You've the same odds of being away as home.

Wrong. No exaggeration. Unfortunately, I just deleted past saved games or else I would go back and record statistics on them. With my current game, Gladbach, I went through the first season and lost in the German Cup semis. So far, i'm in the second round of the German Cup in the next season. Out of 7 games, i've been drawn at home once. So, my estimate of 90% is not that far off. The sample size is small, but I will now start keeping track as I feel lucky to even get drawn at home 1 in 7 times now.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not acting like an SI employee. In my experience of the game, the cup draws are pretty even. It would be a waste of time and effort for the programmers to code a dodgy cup draw pattern, so why would they do it? They don't, you've just perceived it that way and over the course of time, it just isn't true.

I'm just asking if anyone has had similar experiences, not asking for every employee of SI to come on and cry. As I was saying, if I had kept my Leeds game that I went about 5 years into, the statistics would have shown about 15 home ties in about 100. And I will come back with more statistics to back it up.

I'm shocked neither of you said it was my tactics that was the issue.

I'm just asking if anyone has had similar experiences, not asking for every employee of SI to come on and cry. As I was saying, if I had kept my Leeds game that I went about 5 years into, the statistics would have shown about 15 home ties in about 100. And I will come back with more statistics to back it up.

I'm shocked neither of you said it was my tactics that was the issue.

15 out of 100 would be impressive and then I'd eat my words. Terribly surprised to see you haven't the evidence.

Yours sincerely

Miles Jacobson

I think I had about 12 consecutive away draws.

But I'm intelligent enough to grasp the nature of probability, so it doesn't worry me.

Someone who names themself "this_game_is_unrealistic" isn't exactly projecting an image of rationality.

Keep in mind that certain cup draws are designed to have seeded teams playing away from home purposely. For example, all 1.Bundesliga teams are drawn away from home in the German Cup 1st round to give the minnows a fair chance.

Originally posted by Genuine_quality:

well, for a start every single players ability in the game is 'guessed' or subjective so therefore is incorrect

That makes no sense. That'd thus apply to any game in the sports genre, surely.

999,999 more to go. +1 extra for the voiding of the 1 so far.

why doesnt it make any sense, there isnt a single player in the game whos complete ability is true to life, ergo is incorrect, smae as managers and coaches

No, your claim that it's a problem with the game. It's a problem with every game if you see this to be the case.

It's undeniably better than, say EA Games rating all Arsenal players at 60-70/99 and all Chelsea and Man Utd players at 80-99. Their ratings system is as good as CM's tactics system though..

If you have data complaints/suggestions, then mention them (constructively) in the relevant Data Forum thread(s).

'there isnt a single player in the game who's stats are correct to real life'

is the above statement true?

simple question, yes or no

No, because players in real life don't have statistics. Nor are they circles with feet though; except Rooney, Huddlestone and Brazilian Ronaldo, obviously. icon_rolleyes.gif

well, for a start every single players ability in the game is 'guessed' or subjective so therefore is incorrect

When you say 'guessed', if you mean judged by a dedicated researcher who watches that player regularly, then yes, it is an educated guess.

presumably these dedicated researchers never went to a premier league game for fm2008, the amount of english cloggers with technique 20 etc, when in my opinion only 1 player in the world deserves it 'messi', doesnt dampen your spirit

.. DATA FORUM. icon_redface.gif

presumably these dedicated researchers never went to a premier league game for fm2008, the amount of english cloggers with technique 20 etc, when in my opinion only 1 player in the world deserves it 'messi', doesnt dampen your spirit

You've just mentioned the most important aspect of setting player attributes...opinion.

Originally posted by gongback:

why not have a hershie forum, where everybody deifies him and agrees with his opinions, we could call it, the dipshit forum

That must be the greatest quote ever. I swear to anybody listening that I will use this in real life sometime this week.

Originally posted by MSCCG:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gongback:

why not have a hershie forum, where everybody deifies him and agrees with his opinions, we could call it, the dipshit forum

That must be the greatest quote ever. I swear to anybody listening that I will use this in real life sometime this week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif How did I miss that??

How stupid do you have to be to wait about.. 10 minutes to create an alias, and then continue in exactly the same vain, on the same thread.

I hate 'civilisation'.

Archived