39.99 for a PC Game

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Sega are totally out of touch with the PC pricing marking putting RRP of near 40 quid on a PC game. I know that PS3 and Xbox games start with prices in that sort of range but PC prices have actually come down in the last few years. The average RRP price for PC games used to be around 35 pounds. In the last year I have noticed that price seems to be around the 30 pound mark even for major release.

When you consider that FM 2009 is hardly ground breaking in terms of development but it more of an upgrade on previous versions I do find 39.99 a bit of a joke. Which is franky backed up by the stores I have yet to see one actually selling it at that price. They are suggesting giving big discounts but offering for 30 or 24 pounds. Plus one site had it for 17 pounds which just makes a totaly mockery of sega setting 39.99.

Also what gets my goat is the price charged for the download version. Considering the lack overheads they have for offering the service you would expect the price to be cheaper.

Thats NUTS!!!!, and they say piracy is theft, thats daylight rubbery

Hi,

As mentioned, that is the RRP, the price people pay for the game is always far less and the money received is obviously far less as well. The difference is by law we have to put it on the TV ad this year, which is daft as noone actually pays it (but they don't let you put "39.99 but you can get it much cheaper)

Thanks

Ben

He is talking about the RRP (Recommend Retail Price) that is set by SEGA. It's up to the stores how much they sell it for and the majority would never sell at the RRP due to competition selling cheaper, therefore this thread is redundant

Well that was the point of thread that Sega have set an over valued RRP for the game. If you look at most of the sites they are making a point of offering 10% 20% off which seem like a good deal. However the RRP would really be about 29.99 if we are honest. If one site can offer the game at 18 pounds and one shop at 15 pounds then you suspect that sega are selling it to the shops at around 8-12 pounds. To suggest that the RRP is then 40 is as someone put it daylight robbery.

I would suggest that it is little more than a marketing ploy by sega to help out sales. :(

Hi,

As mentioned, that is the RRP, the price people pay for the game is always far less and the money received is obviously far less as well. The difference is by law we have to put it on the TV ad this year, which is daft as noone actually pays it (but they don't let you put "39.99 but you can get it much cheaper)

Thanks

Ben

you mean something along the lines of

"For goodness sake DONT pay more than 39.99 for the game"...Gotcha!!!

Hi,

Thanks

Ben

Which law is that Ben ? The reason I ask is that companies dont even have to set RRP let alone are forced to place it on adverts. For example the Fallout 3 adverts on TV dont include a price in fact 90% of all adverts dont include RRP.

Which law is that Ben ? The reason I ask is that companies dont even have to set RRP let alone are forced to place it on adverts. For example the Fallout 3 adverts on TV dont include a price in fact 90% of all adverts dont include RRP.

How did you find out that fact so quickly?

TV ads are covered by the CAP (Broadcast) Code of Advertising, otherwise known as the TV Advertising Standards Code. There is no direct rule that prices need to be included, but the company that clears TV ads (Clearcast) would have been the ones to tell the advertisers to include the price. Quite why they would have done is beyond me!

Oh, and just to be pedantic, it's not a "law", it's a rule. It's not shrouded in legislation. :p

A UK Steam purchase comes in at around £35 actually by my calculations...

$44.99 + 17.5% = $52.86

$52.86 = £35.42

Still, cheaper than Tesco eh?

But yeah, you'll be able to get it in most shops for anywhere from £25 - £35.

What? how much are Tesco selling it for then?

I've heard £37.99 in one of the other threads, the same as their website.

Yes dont go to Tesco for your games they always sell them near the RRP. The cheapest place I have heard of so far is the local football grounds. I understand York FC had it for 15 pounds. In terms of the high street I have heard Asda at 24 pounds as the cheapest but not all Asda's are selling it so phone first before you head out tonight.

Archived