Are European competitions hard enough?

As the topic says really. Im Blackburn on Fm07 but had the same problem on FM08. Well, I say problem but I dont really mean problem as I like being successful icon_smile.gif

I get alot of Premiership teams to Europe, most have no experience of it whatsoever but everytime I get there I do well. FM08, I got Wigan to the CL, and won it in my first season after beating teams like Barcelona, Inter and Roma.

My FM07 save has seen me take Blackburn to EUFA cup champions in my first season, and runners up in my second season. I won the Premiership (a small miracle happened) and I struggle against teams like Leeds, Leicester and Bolton (all in Premiership) but in my first Cl campaign, I got to the final, eventually losing to Everton (who are great). My second season, I played Bayern Munich, Inter, Dynamo Kiev and Fenerbache and qualified without losing.

My question is...

How easy do YOU find Europe? Do you think it represents the real life competition?

As the topic says really. Im Blackburn on Fm07 but had the same problem on FM08. Well, I say problem but I dont really mean problem as I like being successful icon_smile.gif

I get alot of Premiership teams to Europe, most have no experience of it whatsoever but everytime I get there I do well. FM08, I got Wigan to the CL, and won it in my first season after beating teams like Barcelona, Inter and Roma.

My FM07 save has seen me take Blackburn to EUFA cup champions in my first season, and runners up in my second season. I won the Premiership (a small miracle happened) and I struggle against teams like Leeds, Leicester and Bolton (all in Premiership) but in my first Cl campaign, I got to the final, eventually losing to Everton (who are great). My second season, I played Bayern Munich, Inter, Dynamo Kiev and Fenerbache and qualified without losing.

My question is...

How easy do YOU find Europe? Do you think it represents the real life competition?

I set myself the challenge of winning the CL with Bayern Munich when I started my career game, once I won it I was going to move on to England. 8 seasons in, one final and no cups says it's hard enough for me. I'm unbeaten at home in 8 years though.

There is something a bit special about european nights even in game IMO. I'm not too sure if it represents real life but out of all the european and international comps in the game it is the most realistic.

A weird thing about the Euro cup is that I have started 5 games with Bayern and in each of them I get dumped out of the Euro Cup in the first season at the quarter final stage. The level of opponent has differed from Firoentina to Shaktar. It's very frustrating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

i think becasue its a game and not an ever changing world certain players just learn how to beat the game, therefore find it easier to win things, people talk of winning titles over and over after 20 years in the game with thier local pub team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While you are right to a certain extent, I dont think this is my problem because like I said, I still struggle against lesser teams.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I set myself the challenge of winning the CL with Bayern Munich when I started my career game, once I won it I was going to move on to England. 8 seasons in, one final and no cups says it's hard enough for me. I'm unbeaten at home in 8 years though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps my tactics just lend themselves well to Europe then icon_smile.gif

Do you play differently in Europe? IN the Bundesliga I am all conquering with a 4-2-3-1 but it never works in Europes (except at home) and I have found myself using a 4-4-2 when playing in the CL. Results have improved, but if i'm honest I buy my players in the context of the Bundesliga and they may not actually be good enough for Europe.

I find the Champions League relatively difficult with the bigger teams but easier with teams I've improved greatly myself.

For example, I played 5 seasons as Man Utd (to get to grips with the game) and only managed to win the Champions League once, and strangely that occurred in the only season I didn't win the league. And I'm currently playing a quick save as Inter (to have a break from long term lower league management) and in my first 3 seasons I've won Serie A and the Coppa Italia every season yet I've never managed to get past the semi-finals of the Champions League, twice losing to Barcelona and most recently to Man Utd.

However, in my long term career game with Gateshead I won the Champions League in the first season I actually managed to qualify for it. So maybe you're onto something, although apart from my Gateshead save I've found the Champions League suitably difficult in FM08. It was too easy in FM07 though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

Perhaps theres something to be said for being the underdogs?! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, especially if you play a fairly cautious style like me icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by man u 4 lyf:

Beat liverpool 5-0 in the league as Man U, a week later could only draw 1-1 with them in CL... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

English clubs in the Cl are a different matter icon_biggrin.gif

I always struggle against English clubs but teams like Barca or Inter I can beat most of the time.

on FM08 i have been better at the champions league than premier league. my playing style is a good european style. can mix a physical aggression with slick passing and super skill.

Occasional stupid result against the grey teams and stuff but otherwise fairly straightforward.

For example, playing Porto, Quaresma got taken off due to injury and is replaced by this obscenely good grey striker who makes Ronaldo and Messi look pathetic, which was no fun at all.

I find the final to be the toughest.

I just took Celtic to the Champions league final and had to play against Real Madrid.

The really odd thing is, my players were getting 7's and 8's through the whole competition, yet in the final, my Striker and attack midfielders decided they didn't want to play their best. So the match went to penalties. And we won it.

But find some teams to be a bit more overrated in the game... Well actually, maybe the AI Managers are just smarter than their real life counterparts.

Usually I find winning the league titles (no matter the league) easier than the cups. In the league the goal is to beat the inferior and mediocre teams, and you can usually even loose almost all your matches to the big teams and you'll come out on top. It's all about consistency and streaks in the leagues, that's why teams like Juventus are so successful domestically. In cups it all depends on who's the better team on that certain day which is more of a gamble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by man u 4 lyf:

Beat liverpool 5-0 in the league as Man U, a week later could only draw 1-1 with them in CL... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

English clubs in the Cl are a different matter icon_biggrin.gif

I always struggle against English clubs but teams like Barca or Inter I can beat most of the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im the same, struggle against english teams (although i won the prem easy..) and win easily against other european teams (those being non-english teams)

Having said that, i jut crushed Liverpool 5-1 at home in CL.. must be an anfield thing icon_mad.gif

I always say that the domestic league is a more difficult competition to win than an European one. In Europe you can get lucky and win or reach the final (Liverpool and Milan last year) in the league however you have to win constantly to finish 1st...and plus there are many more games to play in the league

i might get complained about this but..

i play the english style. fast and fruious with more emphasis on team ability and fitness than player ability it seems to me that english teams have better team play and european teams have more emphasis on indivudual players and dont play as well as a team. this highlighted by barcalona they have an amazing team with the likes of messi and eto yet they play crap as a team.

phew got that of my chest

I think its pretty accurate compared to real life apart from some high scoring games which im constantly involved in in europe!

Im managing celtic and im in 2013 and ive reached the CL final now against chelsea! Some years a didnt get out of the group, one year i got knocked out in qualifying by some small team! I found it tough to get past last 16 but this year i have and ive gone all the way to the final beating teams like arsenal, madrid and sunderland!

Ive even found the uefa cup pretty tough, my best being about quarter finals!

The one thing i would say is the teams that begin to qualify after a few years is sometimes unrealistic!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chrismagic67:

I think its pretty accurate compared to real life apart from some high scoring games which im constantly involved in in europe!

Im managing celtic and im in 2013 and ive reached the CL final now against chelsea! Some years a didnt get out of the group, one year i got knocked out in qualifying by some small team! I found it tough to get past last 16 but this year i have and ive gone all the way to the final beating teams like arsenal, madrid and sunderland!

Ive even found the uefa cup pretty tough, my best being about quarter finals!

The one thing i would say is the teams that begin to qualify after a few years is sometimes unrealistic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dinamo Kiev qualified over Liverpool in the group stage in my game. I nearly died laughing at that.

hey

yeah i've just finished my third season with west ham and won the champs league final. Agree with the high scoring games, 8 - 3 and 6 -3 against ath madrid and florentina. Beat man united in the final 4 -3 also beat chelsea 4 -1 in the quarter finals. Both teams i've struggled against in domestic cup competition and the league games.

It was easier then i thought it would be, but three years of hard work has paid off equating to over 36 hours of gameplay so I think I deserve my success. Just a note i havnt won any other competitions and titles.

Archived