Lets lay off criticising SI and get things in perspective

I'll probably get jumped all over for this but I'm going to say it anyway:

Whilst I've not been an active poster here for long I have been a regular viewer and a CM/FM player since 2002.

A lot of what I've read seems to be very critical of SI/Sega and the game. In my opinion its a bit harsh to criticise. Each time the game is changed the changes are made to try and improve the game - many of the things built in are things we (players) have asked for, and as some push the boundaries of what can be done without taking the game into the "super computer" world and therefore outside of the scope of us with industry standard spec computers its not suprising to me that they dont get it 100% right first time. What I will say is that when they don't they put it as right as they can as soon as they can.

Also we need to bear in mind that every one of us will have our own views on what the game should be and where it should aim to go in future versions - its simply impossible for one game to give all of us everything we want - most folk would settle for the 80 -20 rule being satisfied and generally SI do do this with the FM familly.

So lets enjoy the game even the bits we don't like 100% and where we do identify things we want SI to change present them in the correct way - if we really really want to influence I'm pretty sure SI have user groups/focus groups that lead on reasearch for future versions - maybe we should put our money where our mouths are and make the effort to get involved.

What you need to remember is that like you, many, probably an overwhelming majority of people don't critisize and do enjoy the game.

The people that critisize constructivally via these forums are highly valid and the game wouldn't be the masterpiece it is today without them.

It's the same every year.

Demo out, loads of complaining, game released, patch released, moans about patch, patch of patch and then some quiet.

Things are wrong with more or less every bit of software that's released, that's just the way it goes.

If you have a major gripe with something, why not buy something else?

I can't think of any other game that costs about £25 that occupies me happily as much as FM.

I have spent a lot of time playing FM over the years. I still maintain it should ship in a much better state every year.

It often becomes a quality game after a few patches. Having said that, I am starting to worry that as more content goes in and FM becomes more complex SI are starting to show signs of not holding it all together. Right now, it's still the No.1 footie manager game in my eyes.

Looking forward to playing this new one!

I think that harsh criticism should be seen as a compliment to SI. They've produced a game which has a great and enthusiastic fanbase. People who are passionate about something will post harsher statements about it. Of course the Mods don't have it easy, especially on days around release, but as a game developer, isn't it a dream come true that you have masses of people glued to their computers and on these forums, waiting for every little news?

For me, there isn't a game series which made me angrier or more dissapointed over the last decade - injury bugs, transfer fees being payed the wrong way, 21:2 shots on goal and lost 1:2, washing us attribute because someone made a joke, morale bugs, striker hitting the ball straight at the keeper, demo release of new game ruining my career in previous FM, wasted time after work, because I don't want to to anything else but play that new FM which is days (hours) away from release, etc.

But the fact is, that it's the game which has made me to think about players I have to buy or new tactics while I'm buying new shoes or driving home from work. I play it a lot more than every other games combined - so it must have something special. Just keep it up SI!

I'm in two minds as to whether to come on the forums at all over this weekend. I usually enjoy them, chatting about the game, exchanging tactics, bragging about how good Bratu is for a £3m striker and other game-related stuff. Problem is this weekend will be a mass of repeat threads:

My top ten predictions (in no particular order):

1. Where's the patch?

2. How dare SI release a patch and not fix THIS disgrace of a bug [insert very minor irritation here]?

3. The injuries are still too high.

4. SI are moneygrabbing scum.

5. I love my new game, and I love SI.

6. How do I install the patch?

7. Wah, wah, wah, I'm not very good at the game, it must be broken.

8. My registration doesn't work.

9. 3D match engine is a MAJOR let-down.

10. WHY OH WHY is [insert player name here]'s attributes so blooming low/high?

Anything else that might clog up the forum?

Perhaps SI should create stickies with the most common questions as subject headers. An "FAQ" and "Read this before posting" clearly isn't enough any more.

I'm in two minds as to whether to come on the forums at all over this weekend. I usually enjoy them, chatting about the game, exchanging tactics, bragging about how good Bratu is for a £3m striker and other game-related stuff. Problem is this weekend will be a mass of repeat threads:

My top ten predictions (in no particular order):

1. Where's the patch?

2. How dare SI release a patch and not fix THIS disgrace of a bug [insert very minor irritation here]?

3. The injuries are still too high.

4. SI are moneygrabbing scum.

5. I love my new game, and I love SI.

6. How do I install the patch?

7. Wah, wah, wah, I'm not very good at the game, it must be broken.

8. My registration doesn't work.

9. 3D match engine is a MAJOR let-down.

10. WHY OH WHY is [insert player name here]'s attributes so blooming low/high?

Anything else that might clog up the forum?

Perhaps SI should create stickies with the most common questions as subject headers. An "FAQ" and "Read this before posting" clearly isn't enough any more.

You pretty much have the next 3 months sewn up

Language translator?

When SI replies to a 'nobs' question we could put it through a translator where it would display what SI real were thinking when they replied?

Also should someone take a screen shot of the forum with everyone moaning about the new game. So that next year when people start posting how great FM09 was and now FM10 is rubbish?

Will think of more great ideas as it looks like amazon will not be delivering my copy tomorrow. Though feel free to post me your copy of the game to distract me from coming up with more ideas!

Completely agree with what you've said. Just imagine all the work SI put into the new game and then they come on the forums and people are moaning about it. Imagine what they must feel like. They must feel gutted.

Aww. I'm sure the pay check won't keep the "gutted" for long ;)

Archived