Faster Ram or GHz

You would have the equivilent of 1.66*2, so around 3.2GHz.

I just upgraded my laptop from 1GB RAM to 4GB. I thought better give the laptop all it can handle while Im upgrading it. Should help to make up for the laptops slowness.

I just upgraded my laptop from 1GB RAM to 4GB. I thought better give the laptop all it can handle while Im upgrading it. Should help to make up for the laptops slowness.

Not true, it doesn't actually double the speed, although it will be a little faster, so the speed will really be about 2Ghz.

I have a dual core of 2.8Ghz so the speed is really around 3.2Ghz.

The calculation doesn't work like that. Just because the processor has two cores, it doesn't double the speed of the processor.

A 1.6 Ghz dual core processor (depending of the type, whether it is Dual core or core 2 duo) is vastly superior to a 3.2 Ghz single-core processor.

The best way to judge a computer's speed is through benchmark tests.

The calculation doesn't work like that. Just because the processor has two cores, it doesn't double the speed of the processor.

A 1.6 Ghz dual core processor (depending of the type, whether it is Dual core or core 2 duo) is vastly superior to a 3.2 Ghz single-core processor.

Yep. The way I think about Dual and Quad core processors is that you basically do twice as many calculations at 1.6Ghz with a dual core as a single core, and so-on...which is not exactly the same as doubling or quadrupling the speed, you're quite right :D

Whether or not an application or game has the ability to use more than 1 core is very important too. You can have a 16 core cpu but if only 1 core gets used it's not gonna be very effective.

Anyways if you have 1GB already I'd upgrade the cpu. Unless you're running vista...

If you have a 32 bit version of windows then having 4GB is pointless (as I found out the hard way) since you'll only have access to about 3.3 GB. Lets hope you have a 64 bit version!

Archived