Official Q+A Thread - Activation / DRM

Hi All,

As of yesterday, we provided a level of insight into the Activation process for Football Manager 2009. The detail is below. We've now added an official Q+A into the process and the technology behind it from Murray, SEGA's DRM expert. I've decided to combine these into one thread for ease of use and will close the other threads forthwith.

"SEGA Confirm Football Manager 2009 Activation details" - 12th November

SEGA have today confirmed that activation servers for Football Manager 2009 will be turned on shortly before midnight on Thursday 13th November in time for the release date of Friday November 14th across Europe.

Despite the unprecedented anticipation for Football Manager 2009, SEGA would encourage retailers not to break the Friday 14th November street date so as not to disappoint customers who will be unable to play before the release date.

Buyers of the game can activate with one-time entry of the unique code on the back of the game manual by one of three methods

1. Register with STEAM and input the code during installation. This method has the benefit of automatically patching and updating the game.

2. Activation without additional software installation is available direct with Uniloc.

3. For those without an internet connection a local telephone number will be available and presented within the installer for customers to call and register the code. Where possible this will be a local toll free number.

Once the game is registered through any of these three methods the game will be activated and available to play. No further activations will be required unless the user specifically deactivates the machine it is installed on.

Activation for the Australian market will taken place at 6.00 EDT (Sydney) 14th November.

Markets with later release dates such as the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia for Football Manager 2009 and Worldwide Soccer Manager in the USA will have servers turned active for midnight before their respective releases.

Official Q+A - Over to you, Murray:

How many computers can I install the game on?

You can install and play the game on 5 computers at a time. We call these "license seats". 1 License seat = 1 unique computer.

If after 5 computers, I uninstall the game from a computer, can I install it on another machine?

Yes, you can. Uninstalling the game will free up a license seat. You may also free up license seats at the soon to be announced deactivation URL

What happens if my computer breaks? Or I have to get a new computer? Will I lose a license seat?

Yes, but you can reclaim license seats at the deactivation URL. Here you can select computers you are no longer using and free up license seats.

What if I have to uninstall and reinstall 5 times on the same computer? Will I use up all of my available licenses?

No, it will not. Remember - we do not limit the installations. We only limit the "unique" computer the game is being played on. You may install 100 times on 5 separate computers without limitation.

After 5 installs do I have to throw the game away?

No, absolutely not. If you uninstall the game you can free up your license seats. In addition, you can visit: to free up license seats.

Do I need to provide personal information?

No. You only need to provide your license key.

Am I required to be online to play the game?

No. You may choose to activate online or over the phone. Online activation is faster and easier, but after this initial activation, you do not have to be online to play.

How long can I play the game without activating?

You may play the entire demo version of the game without ever activating. Any install of the full game will require activation.

What do I do in the event something catastrophic happens and I lose a 'seat'? Can I get it back?

Yes, you may visit the deactivation URL and release your license seats.

Do I have to use Steam?

No, you can use Steam or Activation Online or by Phone.

What if I don't have an internet connection?

If you don't have an internet connection you can activate the game by phone.

How much will the phone call cost?

Toll free numbers have been provided for the majority of countries where the game is sold.

How long will the activation take?

Online activation takes a few seconds. Phone activation takes about 5 minutes.

How long will the activation servers be available? Will I still be able to play the game 5 years from now?

Yes, we hope so. Nonetheless - after 18 months (estimated at present) we will release a DRM-free version of the game to ensure that you can play in years to come.

Do you collect any data? What data are you collecting?

Yes, we currently collect the Geolocation you have activated the game from. We also take a snap shot of your hardware footprint for the game.

Who will use this data?

This data will used by SI and Sega only to help make sure that future releases of the game have the widest location and hardware compatibility possible.

What software do you use to collect the data?

We use a product called SoftAnchor Insight. We ONLY use the Hardware Insight aspect of this product.

Is the information collected user identifiable?

No, all data collected is completely anonymous and on aggregate.

Are tracking what I do in the game?

No, absolutely not.

Do you install additional secret software on my computer?

No, absolutely not. All DRM related code is contained within the Football Manager 2009 exe. When the uninstaller removes this - there is no DRM related software left on your computer.

Is this a rootkit? Will you leave activation code on my computer?

No, absolutely not. All DRM related code is contained within the Football Manager 2009 exe. When the uninstaller removes this - there is no DRM related software left on your computer. The program will install a license file as well, but this non-executable (i.e. it cannot effect your computer) and will be removed on uninstall as well.

Are you using In-Game Advertising?

Yes, we are using IGA, but this has no correlation to the copy protection and should be addressed in a separate discussion found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60932 .

Do I need to open a port on my firewall?

No, You should not. All traffic is standard web-traffic. It is the same as if you opened a web page.

Will you actively monitor me or my playing habits?

No - we are not doing any play monitoring or analysis. We are *not* using the Feature Insight package of SoftAnchor Insight.

If I buy a copy of FM2009 in the UK can I still play it in the USA?

Yes - we are not blocking authentication based on location.

Will you stop me using D-Tools / Alcohol 120%?

No – we do not stop other software running, we do however block ‘debuggers’ attaching to the FM09 process when running. We believe this is extremely fair and can see no valid reason for a person to be running a debugger against the FM09 process.

How will this affect second-hand games?

This will not affect second-hand games, you can go to the deactivation URL and remove all previous activations, the game will then be as if you had purchased new. The retail outlets are aware of the protection being used and are comfortable with it, there will be no blacklisting etc.

Will third party data editors work?

The FM09 official data editor does work, rumours are that third party FM09 editors are in development – but as you can appreciate we have no direct control over these editors.

Is this going to stop piracy?

No. We expect that eventually the game will be pirated. Unfortunately, piracy is a hard fact in our industry. What we have attempted to do here is create a system by which legal users can get the utmost flexibility to use and play the game in a fair manner. We believe that by putting the hard work into providing a generous 5 computer seat policy and the ability to administer your licenses yourself that most people will not feel the need to pirate the application or put their computers at risk by downloading copies from torrents and will purchase a legitimate copy.

What are your plans for FM10?

We have made no provisions for FM10, but we will hold discussions based on the extensive feedback you have provided (thank you), we will also speak to our copy protection provider(s) and see how best we can accommodate your requirements, whilst retaining a stronger crack-free period. Please be assured that we value each and every FM player and will try our best to accommodate all of the requirements you have set-out.

Thanks for reading. One last point - off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted so please stick to legitimate questions only.

Cheers

Matt + Murray

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, I don't mind authentication as I feel I can trust these companys

Why was it this year that this was introduced? What happened that made you think, hey let's use this?

Good question.

I'd be interested to hear why.

Thanks for the post, most informative.

Good question.

I'd be interested to hear why.

Thanks for the post, most informative.

Mostly because last year the game was available to people playing a 'pirated' version 3 days before our loyal fanbase could legitimately play the game. We know we're going to suffer from piracy, but there should never be the instance where pirates get to play the game before our loyal fanbase - hence the decision to switch to this method of protection.

I know it's not everybodys cup of tea - but fingers crossed we seem to have achieved our aims so far this year, certainly an improvement on last year.

Mostly because last year the game was available to people playing a 'pirated' version 3 days before our loyal fanbase could legitimately play the game. We know we're going to suffer from piracy, but there should never be the instance where pirates get to play the game before our loyal fanbase - hence the decision to switch to this method of protection.

I know it's not everybodys cup of tea - but fingers crossed we seem to have achieved our aims so far this year, certainly an improvement on last year.

I didn't know that.

I can understand the additional security this year then.

Keep up the good work.

Scores of people have been asking if two (or more) family members who live in the same house can install and activate and play Football Manager 2009 without this being frowned upon or been seen as doing something illegal. If a father and son played FM2009 over a network, would they be required to buy two copies of the game?

Also, lets say you legally own two computers, you activate the game on both computers, but you only play the game on one machine whilst leaving person X to play the game on the other computer, would this be constituted as illegal?

I do think you should clear this up on the opening post, because lots of people have asked these questions.

Do you collect any data? What data are you collecting?

Yes, we currently collect the Geolocation you have activated the game from. We also take a snap shot of your hardware footprint for the game.

Is this legal? Can you collect info on my hardware? I should have the right to ask you to delete this information as it could be classified as personnal.

I really don't like this bit :(

ps: most of the softwares that do this also leaves the choice to the user wether he wants to send this ifo or not at installation, will it be the case for FM 09?

I heard that if the game was pirated it screwed the game up a little, surely it was only subtle(sp?) and pretty much unnoticable or so many people wouldn't have downloaded and carried on play the pirated version.

and gipsy, its anonymous, and just collected to look at how many people have certain hardware set ups, so they next time round what to support.

Thanks for the detailed information. My question is about these sections:

SEGA have today confirmed that activation servers for Football Manager 2009 will be turned on shortly before midnight on Thursday 13th November in time for the release date of Friday November 14th across Europe.

[...]

Activation for the Australian market will taken place at 6.00 EDT (Sydney) 14th November.

Markets with later release dates such as the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia for Football Manager 2009 and Worldwide Soccer Manager in the USA will have servers turned active for midnight before their respective releases.

What happens if I buy the game in a country which is not on the list at all (e.g. Germany or Uganda)? Can I still activate it, and when? Is there a difference between the Steam and boxed versions?

The timing on Steam is a complete mess - appreciate it if you guys could look into it. It is now 2.20 AM Friday the 14th here in Eastern Australia and Steam says: "Available: November 14th, 2008

This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 10 hours" - Which would make it Saturday 15th noon. Makes no sense. In the original post above Sega says: "Activation for the Australian market will taken place at 6.00 EDT (Sydney) 14th November." which is in less then 4 hours. What the hell is going on?? Everytime I check on Steam the release time has changed - not good enough!!!

Haha, this is hilarious. I've had a call and email off two of my friends moaning about how they can't get the game to work. That the code isn't working. So of course I told them that it won't work until tomorrow. Both were amazed that this wasn't announced to people outside of the forum or that at least they aren't given some kind of obvious message that tells them this when they put the code in.

SI, I suggest that you make the code activation a little more obvious to people. I guess even with this sticky we might start seeing a few threads in GQ today.

So if we can install the game, activate it, but then go to a URL and release the activation seat, what's the point of activating in the first place? If the game isn't dialling home everytime you play it, then it won't know it's activation has been released so presumably it can carry on being used?

Glad that if I get the game I won't be authenticating the game online. Getting a snapshot of your computer hardware is just the start, what will come next year, looking for additional graphics or what teams everyone is playing as or what third party FM apps people are using?

This is surely invasion of privacy, and like many others feel that an option should have been included to opt out, although this doesn't really bother me as like I say I won't be authenticating the game online.

The whole DRM thing and Insight thing is a shambles as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:- Also what eshaan above has said makes the whole thing even more of a joke.

these activation methods look quite simple to me, they are not going to be so nasty...threads have been made on this subject cause there wasnt a good post/thread from someone(SI/SEGA) to clear all the things up...anyway...looks fine to me and i cant even wait until i play my first save...even though...stating that the methods are easy, one question?when trying to authenticate on steam...will the requiered code be sent to us via mail?that is the only thing i am not understanding regardin steam activation(cause i bought the game from there)...pre loaded the game and waiting nicely for the final countdown:)

I'd image that when you use the deactivation URL, the license file for FM is removed, and without that, the game wont start until re-activated. Just a guess of course, but plausible.

But how though? Presumably I can release the license from a completely separate computer, as in the second hand sales example given in the first post. If the game isn't dialling home each time it's played, there's no way it can know that it has had the license released.

But how though? Presumably I can release the license from a completely separate computer, as in the second hand sales example given in the first post. If the game isn't dialling home each time it's played, there's no way it can know that it has had the license released.

It says above there will be a license file for the game, my guess is if that file is not there (ie. removed by the de-activation process), then the game wont start, and reactivating will create a new one.

It says above there will be a license file for the game, my guess is if that file is not there (ie. removed by the de-activation process), then the game wont start, and reactivating will create a new one.

Yeah, but if I sell my copy on to someone else without uninstalling it (not that I'm going to do this of course), and they use their computer to deactivate my installation at that URL, how will it delete that file on my computer?

Yeah, but if I sell my copy on to someone else without uninstalling it (not that I'm going to do this of course), and they use their computer to deactivate my installation at that URL, how will it delete that file on my computer?

Ahhh I see what you mean, interesting point. I'd not thought of it from that angle.

Muzchap, can you answer my earlier question.

What is Uniloc and how is it relevant to the activation? Do we have install something (an external program) to authenticate the game?

Hi Alex, please read the post at the top - everything is in there. You do not need to install anything else - everything has been set-up to lead you through whichever route you choose (Steam / Uniloc) - Steam is the preferred option as it will auto-patch your game for you.

Hope that helps.

ok thanks Muzchap, i did read it. guess it's been a long day, sorry about that.

i'm going via boxed method and it just confused me.

but that's fine, thanks

No problem - it's going to be a long day for us - basically, if you put the disc in the drive - and autorun, you will get all the information you need. If you are still unsure - please PM and I'll give you a call to talk it through (if that helps?)

Handheld was available 2 days ago in closed groups. No working images of FM09 exist at present, plenty of fakes do - you take your chances :)

Im actually glad this new system is here... I know piratesites and big networks of illegal sharing and this version of football manager is actually a huge issue on several forums and stuff where the 'crackers' are actually complaining: "I'm sorry people, so far we've been unable to crack to code to make FM2009 playable without disc or activation" ... so thats good news for sigames!

14 hours to go untill my copy is in the mailbox... I'm not gonna be on this forum after 23:00 tonight because I dont wanna read about people playing allready :D (yeh, a jealousy issue, dont ask ;))

that's great then Muzchap. don't need a call, but thanks very much (good customer service there, take note SI/Sega Haters).

"2. Activation without additional software installation is available direct with Uniloc" is what confused me, but if the installation wizard explains it, then that's great. I read it as activation WITH and I've never heard of Uniloc.

thanks though

The deactivation URL basically removes 99% of my problem with this system.

I'm not keen on the submission of location data etc but it's just one of those things - I'm not the paranoid type.

Thanks for the thorough Q&A, I'd suggest making it available earlier next year.

Question about the DRM which is not answer in the Q+A:

You say that you can 'disable' an installation of the game from a "deactivation URL", thus freeing up one installation seat.

But I don't understand how this works:

What stops someone from installing the game in one computer, then disabling that install from the deactivation URL to get it back without actually uninstalling the game, then installing on another computer, then disabling that again from the deactivation URL... so that he's got an infinite amount of installs available?

As far as I know, the game DOESN'T do any kind of online check at start up to check if the license is valid, does it?

Either I misunderstood something, or there's some information missing?

You say that you can 'disable' an installation of the game from a "deactivation URL", thus freeing up one installation seat.

To add a little more to VMX's question how am I supposed to do this if I haven't got the internet connected to the PC the game is running on?

To add a little more to VMX's question how am I supposed to do this if I haven't got the internet connected to the PC the game is running on?

As I've undestood it, you don't need to access this website from the PC you have your game installed on. But you could disable it from any other PC. If not, there's no point in setting up that website for "emergency uninstalls", since you would think than in an emergency you can't use that PC anymore.

That's what I don't understand. There must be some way to avoid people infinitely recovering all their seats without actually uninstalling the game... in other words: how do people prove that they had a hardware failure or something, if there's not an online check whenever you start the game?

ok quick question - I have installed game and entered keycode from back of manual - I get message that this is an invalid keycode - is this just because the unlock servers are not up and running or is the keycode wrong - would be nice to get a message saying keycode is valid but can not yet be unlocked.

ok quick question - I have installed game and entered keycode from back of manual - I get message that this is an invalid keycode - is this just because the unlock servers are not up and running or is the keycode wrong - would be nice to get a message saying keycode is valid but can not yet be unlocked.

Check the code carefully, people have reported it's hard to tell the diference between o' and 0's etc.

Don't think the authentication servers are up yet, hence it won't work. The details about when the servers will be up and running are in the first post of this page.

Archived