Is the new patch a Zipped File?

Guest PW

Hi, not sure if this is the best place to post this thread or in the tech section but will try it here first.

I've just got a new PC and I know that on FM08 the patches that SI released were zipped files and you would have to have Winzip (or a similar program) installed to run them.

As my new PC doesn't have this software does anyone know whether the new patches for FM09 will be downloaded in the same way and still have to be unzipped to the game?

Hi, not sure if this is the best place to post this thread or in the tech section but will try it here first.

I've just got a new PC and I know that on FM08 the patches that SI released were zipped files and you would have to have Winzip (or a similar program) installed to run them.

As my new PC doesn't have this software does anyone know whether the new patches for FM09 will be downloaded in the same way and still have to be unzipped to the game?

wait n see....will take 1 min to download winzip or the like if need be

of course I can wait and see but the point of the thread was to see if anyone knew in advance........

Doesn't take long to download winzip but the updated Winzip is only a trial version for free so just wondered whether investing in the full version was going to be worthwhile or not.

Thanks Bigdunk hopefully this would still all run automatically like it did on FM08 as was so easy installing the patches as it done it all for you!

Get 7-zip, it is actually truly free rather than having 'trial periods' and it is a far better, smaller and more stable program compared to the other two.

And here ends our commercial for 7-zip :)

seriously though any program that deals with .Zip or .rar files are ridiculously small and easy fast to get so i wouldnt worry about it mate.

Get 7-zip, it is actually truly free rather than having 'trial periods' and it is a far better, smaller and more stable program compared to the other two.

acidmonkey is rigt, they're all small and use hardly any resources, as for being more "stable", I don't think I've EVER had WinRAR crash or become unstable and I've been using almost everyday since I brought my first PC about 5 years ago now.

Dont suppose anyone can tell me if the patch will take effect on saved games started before the patch was applied?? For example, if i started playing at midnight tonight, and got the patch tomorrow, would all the problems be cured in my svaed game??

In previous versions of FM, the patch has been savegame compatible. However, to get the full benefit from the patch, a new save needed to be created. I can't see it being any different.

Sorry, I am just trying to get some clarity on this:

I don't need the internet at home, so I am buying the boxed version (old school I know, but the best way in my opinion), I will even authenticate over the phone (which will probably take forever).

Anyway, can I download the patch onto a memory stick, then onto my laptop? Also, am I right that the game can't be running once the patch is installed?

Don't slaughter me please!

Sorry, I am just trying to get some clarity on this:

I don't need the internet at home, so I am buying the boxed version (old school I know, but the best way in my opinion), I will even authenticate over the phone (which will probably take forever).

Anyway, can I download the patch onto a memory stick, then onto my laptop? Also, am I right that the game can't be running once the patch is installed?

Don't slaughter me please!

Yes, I've put FM patches onto memory sticks or even my old MP3 player, so long as (in my case) under 1 GB. Then just copy it over to your desktop, double click and the patch if it is like the others automatically finds your FM game.

Yes, make sure the game isn't running..The times this has happend and people saying "the patch won't install" done it myself :O

I'm old School too, so waiting on the phone maybe frustrating..

Yes, I've put FM patches onto memory sticks or even my old MP3 player, so long as (in my case) under 1 GB. Then just copy it over to your desktop, double click and the patch if it is like the others automatically finds your FM game.

Yes, make sure the game isn't running..The times this has happend and people saying "the patch won't install" done it myself :O

I'm old School too, so waiting on the phone maybe frustrating..

Thank you very much Baros (congrats on the CL winners medal)

Archived