Scratched disc problems after activation?

Does anyone know what happens if I buy the game and install it...activate it then the FM2009 disc does not work due to it having a scratch on it if I install it on my other computer? I can go in to say ASDA and say disc does not work for a new copy, isn't that a problem?

Scratch a disc you'd have to buy another one... as with any game.

Yeah but it may already be scratched...on my downstairs PC it will not read scratched discs but my laptop is fine with scratched discs. Even with minute scratches that you can't see it won't read the disc which is a big problem. I'm entitled to defective disc replacement ain't I?

In which case yes take it back to the store - selling scratched discs is unacceptable.

So what i'm saying is what if I install it on my laptop and activate it and the disc has 4 installs left and it won't work on my downstairs computer? I can't take it back with 4 installs on it can I?

So what i'm saying is what if I install it on my laptop and activate it and the disc has 4 installs left and it won't work on my downstairs computer? I can't take it back with 4 installs on it can I?

its not like the shop would know you have used any of the installs unless you confess :D

The only thing you'll be able to do in that situation is to get a replacement disc from Sega support. I doubt a shop will take it back once you've potentially used some of the installs.

Another option is to go to a store that offers a service to get scratches off discs - I think my local Blockbuster games has the service and costs about 50p per disc. Don't quote me on that though. :p

The only thing you'll be able to do in that situation is to get a replacement disc from Sega support. I doubt a shop will take it back once you've potentially used some of the installs.

Another option is to go to a store that offers a service to get scratches off discs - I think my local Blockbuster games has the service and costs about 50p per disc. Don't quote me on that though. :p

the shop wont now about installs they will replace it

the shop wont now about installs they will replace it

That is very obvious, an lady at the games counter will have no clue because he never plays games and even if she did she still won't have a clue about the install limit because to her it will be a defective disc with an unhappy customer. As long as the original copy and disc are shown along with the scratch and explanation its easy to get another replacement copy.

Does anyone know what happens if I buy the game and install it...activate it then the FM2009 disc does not work due to it having a scratch on it if I install it on my other computer? I can go in to say ASDA and say disc does not work for a new copy, isn't that a problem?

Thinly veiled, hysteria spreading, anti DRM thread tbh.

Get over it already. Were the other 9 threads not enough?

That is very obvious, an lady at the games counter will have no clue because he never plays games and even if she did she still won't have a clue about the install limit because to her it will be a defective disc with an unhappy customer. As long as the original copy and disc are shown along with the scratch and explanation its easy to get another replacement copy.

You can certainly try at a shop to get a new disc, and they may very well give you another copy, but I'm just saying I wouldn't expect it.

You can certainly try at a shop to get a new disc, and they may very well give you another copy, but I'm just saying I wouldn't expect it.

Not something I would do as 1-3 installs are enough for me, I was just pointing out a flaw...thats all, my computer downstairs has a pretty old DVD/CD drive and I think its faulty and needs replacing, it even makes a loud noise when reading a disc...thats why it has problems with discs.

Btw...alot of stores especially like Tesco, ASDA will not have a clue about the install limit so that is a HUGE problem.

So SI aren't bothered about this one bit?

It's not a case of SI 'not being bothered' about this so much as a 'it doesn't matter what SI think about it'.

Your purchase is from the the retailer, therefore the sales contract is with the retailer, therefore it is up to the individual retailer what their policy is in each case. Nothing at all to do with SI. Even if the disc was scratched when supplied, it's nothing to do with SI, they only write the code, they're not responsible for the manufacture of the disc.

I'm cool with it :D, remember that AJ1 guy the other night?...he was off his head.

:D, actually I do, and you were on the sensible side of that argument, so apologies for tarring you with the wrong brush.

I've seen nothing but DRM scaremongering for days now, and it's starting to scroll up in my sleep.

There's a lot of questions over it, but I reckon it'll pass without major incident.

Naturally, as with every year, a few people will be online asking the kind of questions that only get askewd when they've downloaded an illegal copy or are trying to get away with something.

:D, actually I do, and you were on the sensible side of that argument, so apologies for tarring you with the wrong brush.

I've seen nothing but DRM scaremongering for days now, and it's starting to scroll up in my sleep.

There's a lot of questions over it, but I reckon it'll pass without major incident.

Naturally, as with every year, a few people will be online asking the kind of questions that only get askewd when they've downloaded an illegal copy or are trying to get away with something.

Its cool.

Yeah that guy went over the top, I think he must have wanted to get banned. Also I think that for the next release SI should include something along the lines of 'Code stop' like EA have done with Fifa Manager 09 for pirated copies, like if its not genuine then you should not be able to do many things in the actual game.

Also the whole DRM thing is excellent and happy to see such measures...it doesn't affect me one bit.

If you have a scratched disc, contact Sega, who will presumably ask for the scratched disc and then provide you with a replacement. The activations are based on the code on the manual - not the disc.

Both Game and Gamestation where I live have the scratch fixing machine, I'm sorry to say I've had to use them a few times after knocking over my 360 a few times whilst playing games, scratched 2 discs so far, took them in (once to each shop) and it was good as new, you can hardly see where the scratch was.

Also iirc Game and Gamestation no longer buy second-hand PC games because of activation codes etc, I'm not sure of their policy on potentially scratched discs tho, I'm guessing they'd make you put it through the machine first.

Also I think that for the next release SI should include something along the lines of 'Code stop' like EA have done with Fifa Manager 09 for pirated copies, like if its not genuine then you should not be able to do many things in the actual game.

I'm under the impression that there may be something like this as part of the protection system used.

Both Game and Gamestation where I live have the scratch fixing machine, I'm sorry to say I've had to use them a few times after knocking over my 360 a few times whilst playing games, scratched 2 discs so far, took them in (once to each shop) and it was good as new, you can hardly see where the scratch was.

I use Brasso, a finger and a cloth. Some people tell you to use toothpaste, but that is a much, much harsher abrasive than Brasso and the disc looks terrible afterwards.

Archived