One hard copy for a LAN game with three managers?

SI have not actually commented on this but they did say they could tell if one key was being used on 2 different PC's.

Whether they allow a network game between the two remains to be seen.

I assume it would be allowed.

The only way it would not would be if when joining a network game there was a comparison of the 2 keys used on both PC's and if they are the same they do not allow a network game.

I dont think SI have done that.

I was wondering about legalities of copywright, do you have to own a computer to legally install the game? So could I only install it on my laptop, would it be illegal to install it on my work computer, or girlfriends computer, or computer at my parents house? If its legal for me to install it and play on those three computers, if someone else used the game on any of said computers, would it then become illegal? When I was at uni i would have wanted to install it on my laptop at uni, and the family computer back home, so would i legally have to install and reinstall everytime i played it, or prevent my brother from playing it when he was on the family computer??

When you buy FM you are buying the right to use it, you can install it anywhere....

That's what I thought, but what happens if I have installed it on a computer to use it when I'm there, but when I'm not playing it someone else plays it, be it a shared computer or whoever owns the computer which i was borrowing to play it on, does it suddenly become illegal?

SI have not actually commented on this but they did say they could tell if one key was being used on 2 different PC's.

Whether they allow a network game between the two remains to be seen.

I assume it would be allowed.

The only way it would not would be if when joining a network game there was a comparison of the 2 keys used on both PC's and if they are the same they do not allow a network game.

I dont think SI have done that.

You can bet your ass Sega will have tho. :thup:

That's what I thought, but what happens if I have installed it on a computer to use it when I'm there, but when I'm not playing it someone else plays it, be it a shared computer or whoever owns the computer which i was borrowing to play it on, does it suddenly become illegal?

Technically, the person who uses FM on that PC is doing something illegal, you would be best to install it on your own profile or install/uninstall as you use PC's.

to be honest if you own all three machines i'm not sure it is illegal.

Its not like business software where you need multiple licenses to run in the same building, its not like you're making profit from playing the game, is it? :D

For instance, I'm sure I saw a quote from SI/SEGA who said they can tell from which address each game is being played from (slightly scary but hey), and as far as I'm aware they're not physically able to disable your game..

For instance, I'm sure I saw a quote from SI/SEGA who said they can tell from which address each game is being played from (slightly scary but hey), and as far as I'm aware they're not physically able to disable your game..

If a person is using software like Ghostsurf or some such software which hides your ip address then I find it highly improbable that SI/Sega is able to trace where the game is being played, let alone the situation of your computer.

This brings up another question: Lets say you're using your computer behind Ghostsurf (Or a similiar ip hiding program) and SI/Sega recieve information that their game is being played in timbucktoo one day and Glasgow the next, are SI/Sega going to assume that your copy isn't legit?

If a person is using software like Ghostsurf or some such software which hides your ip address then I find it highly improbable that SI/Sega is able to trace where the game is being played, let alone the situation of your computer.

This brings up another question: Lets say you're using your computer behind Ghostsurf (Or a similiar ip hiding program) and SI/Sega recieve information that their game is being played in timbucktoo one day and Glasgow the next, are SI/Sega going to assume that your copy isn't legit?

quite probably :D

Does ghostsurf randomise your ip or just hide it? I haven't heard of this program..

Then again, you'd think SI would know that only purchased versions would be activated.

me and my m8 where gunna go halves on the gamer as we both earn little money or would this be illegal ? :S

strictly speaking yes.

But then again, people have been giving copies of games to their brothers, friends etc for years, that's never been legal.

This is the problem with DRM. What's stopping a group of 5 mates buying one copy of FM together, installing it on their own machines, and all playing away with no problems?

This can be done with FM08 and previous. The disk is not needed in the drive once the game is loaded.

I played cm0102 with my housemate over a Lan with just the one disk.

This can be done with FM08 and previous. The disk is not needed in the drive once the game is loaded.

I played cm0102 with my housemate over a Lan with just the one disk.

True, but what I mean is 5 mates living in different houses, who all shut their computers down at different times. With FM 08 they'd need the disc everytime they wanted to play the game individually, but with 09 they won't.

True, but what I mean is 5 mates living in different houses, who all shut their computers down at different times. With FM 08 they'd need the disc everytime they wanted to play the game individually, but with 09 they won't.

It's a fair point. I suppose preventing piracy is all about playing percentages. I don't think it's ever about stopping serious pirates who will always manage to get pirate software. It's more about stopping casual piracy. If piracy is a pain in the arse to do then the majority of people out there won't do it. This system does seem to open the door to casual piracy being a fairly easy option. A few years back, before I had a job that meant purchasing a game isn't a sum of money I worry about, I wouldn't have thought twice about 'borrowing' an install of a friend.

It's a fair point. I suppose preventing piracy is all about playing percentages. I don't think it's ever about stopping serious pirates who will always manage to get pirate software. It's more about stopping casual piracy. If piracy is a pain in the arse to do then the majority of people out there won't do it. This system does seem to open the door to casual piracy being a fairly easy option. A few years back, before I had a job that meant purchasing a game isn't a sum of money I worry about, I wouldn't have thought twice about 'borrowing' an install of a friend.

I agree. It definitely makes it easier for casual piracy, and when you think of it in money terms, if the game is £30, and 5 mates buy it, that's £150 in the retailers/SI pockets. If all 5 mates put £6 in each, spending £30 instead of £150, SI are losing out quite a bit. Was the reasoning behind SI doing this to try and prevent piracy? Or was it just because soo many people wanted to be able to play the game without the disc?

Well at my house we currently have 4 computer's my computer, my laptop, my brother's computer and then one in the living room for the whole family to use. In the past I've installed the game on all 4 computers and have quite often played network games between us.

However the 5 install with the DRM got my worried slightly, I think you're surpost to get you're install back if you uninstall the game right? Its just i'm not sure if the game will run correctly on my family computer, the demo didn't load, and on my laptop the screen kept blacking out while playing the game and if i only get 5 install's for the game i don't want to waste to like what happened when installing Spores on the family computer because off thats DRM.

Archived