whats uniloc??? confused?

amer

The question is if i decide to unistall it and install again after a few months, will that be a problem?? If I can how times can I do it this year??

you have 5 installs per disk . so if you install it on lets say your latop and desktop you will have 3 left. But if you decide that you no longer want it on your desktop and run the uninstall app then you will re gain a install so now you will have 4 installs if you use all of your installs and your computer dies ring si who maybe able to give you another install ! clear enough i hope :)

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a hot button issue amongst consumers as well as software developers, which has always conjured just as many negative feelings as it does positive. Uniloc is hoping to change that perception by offering SoftAnchor as an innovative approach to the way companies combat piracy.

In the final part of my review on "Spore" from EA Games, I discussed how the DRM -- put in place by the publisher to thwart would-be software pirates -- only succeeded in creating a firestorm of negative press as legitimate users were equally penalized by these measures.

However, apart from stealing much of the attention from what is an otherwise innovative, albeit slightly flawed game, the debacle of "Spore's" issues with DRM also highlights a much larger problem facing the industry as a whole.

It's no secret that I have always been a staunch supporter of the PC game market. Unfortunately, no matter how much potential I feel this platform still holds, I would be foolish if I didn't acknowledge that this segment of the market won't be pulling out of its tailspin until an effective means of combating illegal software piracy is put in place -- one that does not punish both legitimate as well as illegitimate users.

I recently spoke with Brian Deeley, vice president of product management for Uniloc, about the current state of DRM and what his company is doing differently to solve this problem.

For starters, videogames using Uniloc's SoftAnchor utilize the hardware from your PC to take a snapshot of your system during the installation process.

This data is used to create a "DNA profile" of your machine so that activations can be verified for their authenticity as well as to ensure that each install is unique to that product.

Deeley said that he is aware that most users have multiple computers, so in return, developers can establish rules within SoftAnchor that limit the number of times a single copy of software may be installed onto multiple machines. Once this predetermined amount is reached, Deeley stated that SoftAnchor also gives developers the option of changing a full version of the game to a trial version, or even establishing at what threshold a company may have an actual case of piracy on their hands.

Not only does this give developers a much quicker means from which they can identify real threats, but SoftAnchor's functionality also saves legitimate users wishing to install multiple copies of their game, from being locked out of their game until they've contacted customer service.

Another key difference with Uniloc's approach to DRM is that unlike its competitors, Uniloc security software is written into the actual game code by developers using a Software Development Kit (SDK), as opposed to a wrapper around the software. As Deeley explained, this method is a much smarter choice, since breaches can be dealt with on a game-by-game basis, instead of having to push out a global update to all of your customers every time a new crack is discovered or rendering existing measures obsolete.

Integrating the DRM within the code also gives game makers much more control over their product while it's in the distribution phase.

Most agree this is where the majority of leaks occur, and this problem was painfully illustrated when retail versions of "Grand Theft Auto IV" wound up on peer-to-peer networks well before the launch date.

SoftAnchor combats this problem by using a feature that encrypts the game until its actual release date. Deeley also said that developers are able to change this date through an administrative control panel, should there be a delay in production.

Unfortunately DRM will remain a hotly contested topic for the foreseeable future so long as anti-piracy measures punishes both legitimate and non-legitimate users.

However, Uniloc is making steps in the right direction.

And While the company may be a relative newcomer to the videogame industry, Uniloc is already recognized as a leader in the field of security, for its patented System for Software Registration (US 5,490,216).

Apart from that, the company is also hoping to have the first title using their DRM software on shelves later this month.

http://www.sddt.com/Commentary/article.cfm?Commentary_ID=179&SourceCode=20080922tbi

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a hot button issue amongst consumers as well as software developers, which has always conjured just as many negative feelings as it does positive. Uniloc is hoping to change that perception by offering SoftAnchor as an innovative approach to the way companies combat piracy.

In the final part of my review on "Spore" from EA Games, I discussed how the DRM -- put in place by the publisher to thwart would-be software pirates -- only succeeded in creating a firestorm of negative press as legitimate users were equally penalized by these measures.

However, apart from stealing much of the attention from what is an otherwise innovative, albeit slightly flawed game, the debacle of "Spore's" issues with DRM also highlights a much larger problem facing the industry as a whole.

It's no secret that I have always been a staunch supporter of the PC game market. Unfortunately, no matter how much potential I feel this platform still holds, I would be foolish if I didn't acknowledge that this segment of the market won't be pulling out of its tailspin until an effective means of combating illegal software piracy is put in place -- one that does not punish both legitimate as well as illegitimate users.

I recently spoke with Brian Deeley, vice president of product management for Uniloc, about the current state of DRM and what his company is doing differently to solve this problem.

For starters, videogames using Uniloc's SoftAnchor utilize the hardware from your PC to take a snapshot of your system during the installation process.

This data is used to create a "DNA profile" of your machine so that activations can be verified for their authenticity as well as to ensure that each install is unique to that product.

Deeley said that he is aware that most users have multiple computers, so in return, developers can establish rules within SoftAnchor that limit the number of times a single copy of software may be installed onto multiple machines. Once this predetermined amount is reached, Deeley stated that SoftAnchor also gives developers the option of changing a full version of the game to a trial version, or even establishing at what threshold a company may have an actual case of piracy on their hands.

Not only does this give developers a much quicker means from which they can identify real threats, but SoftAnchor's functionality also saves legitimate users wishing to install multiple copies of their game, from being locked out of their game until they've contacted customer service.

Another key difference with Uniloc's approach to DRM is that unlike its competitors, Uniloc security software is written into the actual game code by developers using a Software Development Kit (SDK), as opposed to a wrapper around the software. As Deeley explained, this method is a much smarter choice, since breaches can be dealt with on a game-by-game basis, instead of having to push out a global update to all of your customers every time a new crack is discovered or rendering existing measures obsolete.

Integrating the DRM within the code also gives game makers much more control over their product while it's in the distribution phase.

Most agree this is where the majority of leaks occur, and this problem was painfully illustrated when retail versions of "Grand Theft Auto IV" wound up on peer-to-peer networks well before the launch date.

SoftAnchor combats this problem by using a feature that encrypts the game until its actual release date. Deeley also said that developers are able to change this date through an administrative control panel, should there be a delay in production.

Unfortunately DRM will remain a hotly contested topic for the foreseeable future so long as anti-piracy measures punishes both legitimate and non-legitimate users.

However, Uniloc is making steps in the right direction.

And While the company may be a relative newcomer to the videogame industry, Uniloc is already recognized as a leader in the field of security, for its patented System for Software Registration (US 5,490,216).

Apart from that, the company is also hoping to have the first title using their DRM software on shelves later this month.

http://www.sddt.com/Commentary/article.cfm?Commentary_ID=179&SourceCode=20080922tbi

thankx to copy and paste

Quick question, (and rather than start my own thread I'll ask it here). I'm going to buy FM09 this weekend, but before I do, does the installation process tell you that Uniloc is provided and part of the installation process? I'm not a fan of DRM, but since Uniloc isn't so draconian I'm fine with it being overtly being added. However, if it's covertly added, and the installation process doesn't inform me, or provide me info into Uniloc I'll be sticking well clear of FM09.

Cheers. :D

Archived