Sooo confused

I tried doing a search but unfortunately everyones knowledge is better than mine... So I have to ask... what is all this "STEAM" talk? If I go into town and buy the game on Friday (as I intend to) will I be able to play it on Friday, or do i need to do something else to "authenticate" it? If so what, where and how do I do that, or will instructions be given with the game? I'm not fussed I just want to plan and be prepared! I've waited ages for this game and dammit I can wait longer but I wanna know when I'll be up and playable...

Thanks to anyone who can point a newbie in the right direction!! :-$

You can authenticate and get patches from sega or SI pages so Steam is really yet another option. Considering Steam has lots of problems connected to it and has terms ad conditions which would make you extremely angry, I still prefer the traditional method for now. i just hope SI dont go and depend off Steam, cos that will really hamper them.

A slightly more detailed run down:

On friday you can

A. Buy the game from your local store

B. Have it delivered by Amazon etc..

C. Buy the game over the internet using "STEAM" its a sort of online library of games that you create a free account with, you can then buy and download the games, and then play them... i prefer this option as you dont need to search for the FM disc every time you want to play and the game will patch itself if an update comes out.

This year ALL copies of FM09 will need to be authenticated online before you can play.

1. To stop retailers from releasing the game early (and screwing over their competition)(

2. To stop people from playing a pirate copy.

To authenticate the game you can

A. Phone a number that will be in the boxed version, they will probably ask you to read them out some code on the dvd case and then they will give you the unlock details.

B. Visit a website that will be given to you in the boxed version, same again basicly, they will ask for a code and then they will give you the unlock code.

C. If you want you can use the boxed or Steam versions and register them on STEAM, which will then unlock the game for you.

The Phone line, website and Steam unlock will all occur at 09:00 (9am) this friday morning GMT.

Once the game is authenticated you will no longer need the DVD even if its a boxed version.

PS. There will be a patch on day one to fix some bugs, most notably the injury problem people are getting in the demo... i assume this will go live at 9am as well.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Steam is free, the only thing you spend money on is when you buy a game.

Its generaly roughly the same price you will get it for in GAME or HMV etc.

Patches etc. do not cost money.

Still, as long as it patches automatically there wont be too many complaints from me...

As far as I am aware you will only get the patch automatically if you get the game and authenticate using steam. If for example you go into a shop and get the boxed version then you'll have to download the patch from this site yourself and intall yourself. If anyone knows different then please feel free to correct me.

LOL, I give up..... I'll see what happens.... I clearly dont have a clue whats going on...

Dougy says there are a number of different options to authenticate, and then says he assumes the patch will go live at 9am, suggests to me that they are 2 different processes, no?

Isn't there a sticky with some sort of explanation?!?!

I'll get my coat now

Everything DougyMarshall has said is correct.

To clarify a couple of things:

Authentication and patching are not related in any way.

To play the game you need to authenticate which you can do as mentioned by DougyMarshall.

Patching is either done automatically for you by Steam if you use that to authenticate or you can do it manually yourself. This is done by downloading the file from the SI website and running it once you've got the game installed. The patch is expected to be released on Friday morning.

Hope that helps.

LOL, I give up..... I'll see what happens.... I clearly dont have a clue whats going on...

Dougy says there are a number of different options to authenticate, and then says he assumes the patch will go live at 9am, suggests to me that they are 2 different processes, no?

Isn't there a sticky with some sort of explanation?!?!

I'll get my coat now

Authenticating the game and Patching it are seperate yes.

The authenitication is just like entering a CD key when installing a regular game, once you do that you will be able to play the regular version of FM09.

Theres a Patch scheduled for launch as well, but i have not heard when it will be launched, you can grab it from SI's website or use Steam if you have a steam version.

EDIT: i whent a bit mental and mistook tommorrow for friday.

Here this was what i was told by sega this will clear it all up http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=59748 Dougy, if you select the automatic patching won't the patch released that day be put onto your game automatically rather than having to get it manually off the steam website

Automatic patching is only an option if you authenticate via Steam. You can simply authenticate a boxed version over the web, but you'll have to download the patch by yourself (which is pretty simple anyway).

Archived