Worries about FM 09

On FM 08, for about 7 months and it was fine..

But then it started comming up with a error message saying 'cannot load last saved game'

And i could never get it sorted..

I really want FM09 but i dont want the same to happen as in FM 08..

Could anyone help??

Thanks

On FM 08, for about 7 months and it was fine..

But then it started comming up with a error message saying 'cannot load last saved game'

And i could never get it sorted..

I really want FM09 but i dont want the same to happen as in FM 08..

Could anyone help??

Thanks

did your pc/laptop crash while saving your last game

• SI Staff
'Rolling save'

Dont understand mate

It's a Preference where you will always have a certain number of saved games and it will rotate around the files, so it will save as saved game 1 the first time, then saved game 2 the second time, then saved game 3 the third time then back to saved game 1 the next. So you'll always have backups of your saved game available.

Be sure to have at least 3 seperate saves, I always save before a match, after a match too if it was an awesome day.

And then, once every game year perhaps, copy a save game and save it elsewhere on the comp or onto a website just to make sure!

Right... Its being uninstalled on my pc because i was getting sick of it..

Just tried installing now and this is exacly what it says

XLM parsing error!

not well-formed (invailed token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml

^^ that came up once i double click my icon on the desktop.

doesn't matter if you wiped your hard disk or not, you still have corrupted sectors.

A full format should remove Bad Sectors from any future use though. So if that has been done, not sure it can be down to that, and a new XP install suggests a true format.

I've seen bad XML parsing during the game in FM08, usually when I went to a contract offer screen forcing everything to 0. I never got to the bottom of why that happened, but I assume it must be something else accessing the processor at the same time. So I think the best bet is to start turning off everything else running in the background. Then see if a new save works o.k.

FM08 is, after all, just a glorified database ;)

I earn my money supporting a database program.

Working on the premise that databases generally behave the same, I'd say:

If the savegame was corrupted before you formatted your harddisk, it won't become 'whole' again by reinstalling windows. The error is in the file itself, there's nothing Windows can do about that.

The only thing you can do to safeguard yourself from losing a lot of game time is saving often, so that once your file does get corrupt, you have backups to go back to. The more different backups you have, the better it is, so rolling backups with as many files as possible is safest.

As others said, anything can cause corruptions, but the most likely cause would be other programs interfering with reading/writing, ironically when you're saving the game. Best to have as little 'disk-intensive' or memory-hogging programs open as possible when playing FM.

I don't think it's likely that this has more, or less, risk of happening with FM09 than with 08, unless SI changed (and improved :D) the underlying system. I'm not privy to the inner workings of the game, but I'd say that would be a major work, not something they'll change between versions often.

So how can i solve my problem DJ, or will it just be like this all the time and i wont be able to play the game.?

You can not repair your old save.

Unless you have backups from further back that MAY not have the issue, kiss it goodbye. (You'd be amazed how often I have to tell this sad news to my customers - so-called professionals and they don't make backups :eek: - so don't feel bad, happens to lots of people).

The only thing you can do to try and avoid the issue is to avoid putting a lot of strain on the PC whilst playing FM as well as making lots of backups, so that if poo does happen, you can revert to a backup.

And how do you keep creating back-ups, and if your save does come up with the, 'cannot load last saved game' message, can you go back to the back-up and and load it and will that work..

Tahnks DJ.

You'd simply have to try a previous backup. If that save is broken as well, go back one further until you find a save that's still OK.

For creating them: look up the help/manual 'rolling backups'.

Archived