Ilegal stuff...in my opinion

Well...seeing the thread were someone complained about steam not replying at a mail, i just entered my account and realised that the game will be available(unlocked) in 2 days and 4 hours(in england[gmt time] that means on thursday, at 00.00)...well the thing that bothered me was the following:i have paid(still have the receipt) aproximatly 66 american dollars for the game...now, the game is 6 dollars cheaper...well, i am not glad about that...i have money(so that is not the point) but what is the real "Pain in the ass" is that so many will pay less for the game than others that have pre ordered with the 66$ price....with or without the money i have, i will want my 6 $ back, cause i think it is illegal to sell the game for one price in a specific time of the month, and than, after a few days, the price will go to 59,99(from 65,99)....have those who ordered from steam experience the same thing?has the price gone lower than the one that you bought?its nasty, its terrible, its F****** DISTURBING...a firm like steam doing that?without any announcements being made? that the game will be cheaper in a few days, that the game will be cheaper on XXXX date or that the game has been established at XX,XX price and you, paying more, will be given the money back....what the hell is that?SI...talk with steam(valve) and clear the thing out, cause i will make the announcement even in romania(and there are a lot of buyers here)...and many from this forum will see the thread and will know that steam became untrustfull...changing prices?ok...i understand that, but after the game has been released and every pundit(on line review magazine) will rate the game with 4 or 5...than ok, the game stinks, so lower the price...but now?want answer now

Steam is rubbish, always has been. When it used to have control of the racing games it was slaughtered in forums for havign lousy customer service and a rubbish registration system. Little imo has changed. Why on earth SI chose steam is beyond comprehension. I can guess because it can reach a wider public easier but surely they could've just implemented a similar system via the Sega website and not had the obvious complaints that they're gonna have in a few months when people realise how rubbish Steam actually is. Judging by this post, someone has already figured this out!

Not sure about US law, but in Blighty if you buy a pair of jeans at £50 and a week later they are £40 you are not automatically entitled to a £10 refund. As long as a product has been on sale for a certain number of days it's fine to discount it (30 I think), hence why so many internet retailers put FM09 up as £40 to start with.

Of course, if you have the receipt and haven't worn the jeans you can usually get a full refund then buy them an hour later at the lower price. Not sure how you'd apply that to Steam, though.

steam is nasty, yeah, i admit that...for not listening to people about the problems that they have...in reality, they have the best download system for a game, but that is not covering for the fact that they suck at making people feel better to use them...i work with other 350 people(young ones)and almost all of them have bought games on steam...i can get declarations from over 100 people(only from my job)that steam has some bad habbits

euro and dollar are at the same ratings from the period i have pre ordered the game...and i am not saying backpackant that steam has done just this thing(change a price in 3 hell days-for a game, i know that the price will change in quite a while, not in a few days, after the reviews are over and the game has been rated, i know that for sure)...steam really sucks as a company...many can agree that with me...and at least announce the price lowering...cause than i would have bought the game today, with a 6 dollar lower price...a shop has a big, large announcement saying SALES TODAY...SAVE UP TO 30%...steam did not...so many suckers bought the game for a 66$ price, and others for 60...at least me...i do not like that...and i am sure that i am not the only one...how would you like to buy the game for 66$ and in a week someone will come and tell you that you are stupid cause you bought the game from XXXX firm and he bought it from XXXX, with only 20 bucks...would you like that?

Try flight prices, they're up and down for no conceivable reason all the time. Once you buy, you're committed to that price. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. You wouldn't consider paying more if the price went up after you bought it...

I have a question:

Why pre-order from Steam? There doesn't appear to be any incentive from what I've heard (no, I've not been on the Steam page for FM). For an online store, then you pre-order it for the incentives (e.g. delivery on date or mini-mouse etc), but with Steam, you don't wait for delivery, you just download it on a click-to-buy method.

Retailers, afaik, are allowed to do this (see the flight case above). Very few retailers do allow you to pay the cheapest price after you pre-order

So to reiterate, why pre-order? Should have just bought it on the day.

It is not ilegal for a company to lowe the price of a product, and you have no right to demand money back if the product is lowered at a later date.

You can sometimes convince a retailer to help you and they will sometimes give you money back, but that is purely down to the manager of each store.

I once bought a pair of Ski Boots for £250, visited the store a week later for a jacket and the same boots had been put on sale at £200, i said to the guy who sold me the boots and he thankfully said that if i brough them in then he would put them back through the register and id get my £50 back.

However he could legaly have refused.

As for why people would pre order a game on steam, in FM's case i dont know for sure... i have not but i will buy it on steam on Thursday night.

Some games though give great offers, Imperial Total War for example... if you buy it now then they will give you Rome Total War completely for free to sit and play until ITW comes out.

It is not ilegal for a company to lowe the price of a product, and you have no right to demand money back if the product is lowered at a later date.

You can sometimes convince a retailer to help you and they will sometimes give you money back, but that is purely down to the manager of each store.

I once bought a pair of Ski Boots for £250, visited the store a week later for a jacket and the same boots had been put on sale at £200, i said to the guy who sold me the boots and he thankfully said that if i brough them in then he would put them back through the register and id get my £50 back.

However he could legaly have refused.

However he couldnt do that if you had ordered it and then wanted to cancel the order before it came in, which is exactly whats happening to this guy in this case.

Wait until steam refuses to let you access FM09, then it will really kick off.

I have a question:

Why pre-order from Steam? There doesn't appear to be any incentive from what I've heard (no, I've not been on the Steam page for FM). For an online store, then you pre-order it for the incentives (e.g. delivery on date or mini-mouse etc), but with Steam, you don't wait for delivery, you just download it on a click-to-buy method.

Retailers, afaik, are allowed to do this (see the flight case above). Very few retailers do allow you to pay the cheapest price after you pre-order

So to reiterate, why pre-order? Should have just bought it on the day.

Play.com and Shopto.net will charge you the lowest price, if it happens to go up then you will only pay the price you pre-ordered it at, but if the price goes down, then you will pay the lower price.....

I'm actually going to buy it on the day, as I'll be in work on the day, there's no need to pre-order it. Plus my post is crap :@

Play.com and Shopto.net will charge you the lowest price, if it happens to go up then you will only pay the price you pre-ordered it at, but if the price goes down, then you will pay the lower price.....

I'm actually going to buy it on the day, as I'll be in work on the day, there's no need to pre-order it. Plus my post is crap :@

I know, I said "very few" rather than "none"

The most famous case would have to be Amazon who do this too.

However, as I say, seeing as though Steam provides no incentives, it was foolish to pre-order rather than just download immediately.

Boxed version in time for authentication and patch would have been better for a pre-order

well...it appears that everything really sucks...if pricing lower, at least they should have announcend, and than, i would have bought cheaper today, or tomorrow...i do not like something that i bought to be cheaper in a matter of only one day...well, at least i found out that i must buy a game 1 day after the release, so it will be a better price...anyway...thanks all of you for posting here, and i hope that SI looked around this thread and noticed that steam sucks...along with the other threads that are arguing the steam buyings

I just paid $50 for it here.

I don't think Steam is to blame though, the pricing i imagine is set by the publisher (hence why i pay more in asia than say in the US) I've seen this on a couple of title and I have read Steam replies that most times it's out of their hands.

So it's possible you should be angry with SEGA

Definately not working like that!

I sell mobilephones myself and we lower our prices every month on certain models, let's say 5-10 euros a month so would that entitle the buyer to come to us and demand their moneys back?? No..

So it's your own fault! Why didn't u just wait? Of course the price will lower...

Steam is rubbish, always has been. When it used to have control of the racing games it was slaughtered in forums for havign lousy customer service and a rubbish registration system. Little imo has changed. Why on earth SI chose steam is beyond comprehension. I can guess because it can reach a wider public easier but surely they could've just implemented a similar system via the Sega website and not had the obvious complaints that they're gonna have in a few months when people realise how rubbish Steam actually is. Judging by this post, someone has already figured this out!

This is the first time I have used STEAM, and I am techy person. I though that I would be able to download the DEMO and then be able to specify the install location, as per any standard application, but NO, it gets installed in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009 demo\"

I like to have all my games installed in a specified location that I choose, not what is dictated to me, last time I checked, I wasn't living in China...:mad:

Oh and the other thing, the only way to un-install is via the STEAM application, on My Game tab, right click the game and choose Delete Local Content.

I am just glad that I pre-ordered a box copy way back.... I feel sory for anyone that has ordered through STEAM.

Well...seeing the thread were someone complained about steam not replying at a mail, i just entered my account and realised that the game will be available(unlocked) in 2 days and 4 hours(in england[gmt time] that means on thursday, at 00.00)...well the thing that bothered me was the following:i have paid(still have the receipt) aproximatly 66 american dollars for the game...now, the game is 6 dollars cheaper...well, i am not glad about that...i have money(so that is not the point) but what is the real "Pain in the ass" is that so many will pay less for the game than others that have pre ordered with the 66$ price....with or without the money i have, i will want my 6 $ back, cause i think it is illegal to sell the game for one price in a specific time of the month, and than, after a few days, the price will go to 59,99(from 65,99)....have those who ordered from steam experience the same thing?has the price gone lower than the one that you bought?its nasty, its terrible, its F****** DISTURBING...a firm like steam doing that?without any announcements being made? that the game will be cheaper in a few days, that the game will be cheaper on XXXX date or that the game has been established at XX,XX price and you, paying more, will be given the money back....what the hell is that?SI...talk with steam(valve) and clear the thing out, cause i will make the announcement even in romania(and there are a lot of buyers here)...and many from this forum will see the thread and will know that steam became untrustfull...changing prices?ok...i understand that, but after the game has been released and every pundit(on line review magazine) will rate the game with 4 or 5...than ok, the game stinks, so lower the price...but now?want answer now

He is totally right. It is not about paying more or less !! it is about when we consume the product. We buy it now, we ve got the game on hand, we expect to play it. Sometime we don't mind to pay more but the point is to play straight after getting the game.

Totally understand his anger, and i would be the same.

am I the only person on these forums getting slightly annoyed with all these ridiculas comments?! Ok so you go to a clothes shop and buy a shirt and a week later you visit the shop and it's £8 cheaper, what do you do? Kick off? Doubt it! This is no different, it's not illegal, it's not uncommon...christ get a ****ing grip on reality..

The whole rant about steam saving the game in the steam apps folder, read the numerous help threads on the steam forums, techy? Don't think so!

It costs $40 via steam in the states. That what you get for have strong currency.

Sucker.

And Americans wonder why everyone hates them?

To the OP sadly nothing you can do in regards to prices changing. I filled my car with $60 of fuel the other week and petrol went down a further 10 cents the next day. The petrol station aint goin to give me a refund (for the differnece I could have paid a day later to fill up) and I wouldn't expect one.

Ps to the Yank the GBP is even stronger than the dollar, who cares!!!

Not sure about US law, but in Blighty if you buy a pair of jeans at £50 and a week later they are £40 you are not automatically entitled to a £10 refund. As long as a product has been on sale for a certain number of days it's fine to discount it (30 I think), hence why so many internet retailers put FM09 up as £40 to start with.

Eh?? No you're not! You are completely mixing up the legislation. There is legislation which provides rules on sales: when a retailer marks an item as "£30 down from £40", in order to claim that the previous selling price was £40, the item must have been sold for 28 consecutive days within the last six months. It's how The Officers Club (cheap men's clothing store) works: they put an item on for a lot of money for a month, then reduce it and say they are having a permanent sale.

As for getting partial refunds, er no. I don't know where you got that from, but it's wrong. Otherwise airlines like easyJet would have gone out of business years ago! And retailers would never cut prices for fear of losing money from all the refunds!

Just a note on the above comment about cancelling pre-orders - if you live in the UK it would be illegal for them to refuse to refund you as the distance selling regulations state that you have 7 days AFTER RECEIPT OF THE GOODS to cancel your order (pre-ordering physical disks that is, not digital downloads)

The only extra stipulation on CD/DVD's is that they are not allowed to be opened at all - although of course you can use the EULA to return it opened and uninstalled under the "i do not agree to the licence agreement)

as annoying as it is there nothing illegal in here that steam have done. When you buy a game or any product you enter a contact with the selling party.

However because off the way contract laws work the buying part isn't being offer the game for the price off $66 in this case they are offering to buy the game from the company for the price of $66. When you go to checkout with you're product you've offer to buy FM off them for the set price and when you checkout they have accepted you're offer on the sale.

They are perfectly in there rights to deiced to lower the price after you have made an agreement with the company to buy the game for that price. As annoying as it is for you, Steam aren't breaking there contract with you by selling the game cheaper.

i know its not illegal...i was just saying so...omg...everyone got annoyed at that phrase...my point was another thing, but i guess that some figured it out, others did not...anyone...steam is junk...one of my points

second:pricing for a game should remain as it is for at least two weeks(got that answer from my own firm, from the marketing people)...

"a firm like Steam doing that..."

Steam = rubbish. When I previously used them and tried to uninstall a game as I didnt want it anymore they told me I had to keep it or pass over my registration details to whoever had the game after me. A blatant restriction of trade since I had bought the game and Steam were only there to provide updates. Since then I have never purchased any game whch uses Steam so if SI persist in using "only" them in future that's one customer less and I won't be the ony one.

nothing illigal about having different prices at differnet times. i mean theres always going to be one day when the price is more than the next. becuase thats what happens when things get cheaper. 1st day its normal price, next day they've dropped the price.

i know its not illegal...i was just saying so...omg...everyone got annoyed at that phrase...my point was another thing, but i guess that some figured it out, others did not...anyone...steam is junk...one of my points

second:pricing for a game should remain as it is for at least two weeks(got that answer from my own firm, from the marketing people)...

but if you accept its not illigal then the two weeks thing is just for your own marketing people. some people will say it should be 4 weeks. others will say one week.

you should of ordered it from amazon(.co.uk) then you would have got any price reductions after you pre-ordered it! when i pre ordered mine it was £29.99 then it was £28.48 and now it has reduced to £26.98

I live in Spain, and if I try to preorder right now through Steam, the price I get is exactly $29.99, which is the same as 23.9€ or £20.06 :D

I'll still wait to see what the price is in the local stores near my place when it's released, and also in kiosks (Spain-only feature :))

Sincerely, even though I am, like you, REALLY impatient to play the game, I can't see the point in preordering it just to be able to play, at best, the day before the official release (this year, not even that). I'm better off waiting 'til it actually comes out and I can compare prices. More important to save some money than anything else...

Archived