SI: NEVER use Steam AGAIN.

This may be in the wrong place but I am so mad that I don't really care right now.

I want to cancel my steam pre-order, and there is apparently no way to do that without contacting support. (With Amazon and most legitimate retailers you just click a button and problem solved)

In any case, I submitted a "support ticket" to them a week ago, asking how I could cancel my pre-order, and given how close release day is, I am getting worried because IN A WEEK I have not received a response about a BILLING issue.

Anyway, they give no support phone number, so I looked online for things about steam customer service.

found these on other forums:

"I did email them 4 times now in the past 2 weeks and still nothing"

"I have heard in the past that they take a while to reply but they always do reply."

and one horror story where a guy saw an article that credit card info was stolen from them, brought up a support ticket about it, they "resolved" the ticket without contacting him, he went on the forums and asked about it, the thread was deleted and he was banned.

So I found a phone number on the website of the people that make steam, valve. Well, they ask that if you have an issue with steam or ANY OF THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS, press 4 (or something, I don't remember). When you press 4, they tell you that they don't give support over the phone and to contact them through email.

What kind of company treats their customers like this?? This is utterly ridiculous, and I doubt they'll ever get back to me before the game is released and they tell me "oh sorry, you should have contacted us before it was released."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds pretty awful. Why are you cancelling?

This is why I always buy the boxed version, old school I know, but avoids this sort of thing.

Maybe they won't cancel until after it is available, thinking that you will download it anyway once the time comes?

I'm trying to get a boxed version too. There's a place in America that sells FM, not WSM, and I would like to get it from them.

If you're paying with a credit card, then you can always contact the credit card company and inform them about the situation and ask them to cancel the transaction of funds. That way STEAM won't get their money from you and you get time to solve the problem with them.

I'm not a fan of STEAM, what with having to run it before launching a game (sometimes login can take a while or fail - why take that over a disc install and one of activation after which you dont need disc?). It's been handy for the Demo, but for full release the hassle and blatant financial cost is not worth it for me personally. I might not have so many issues if FM wasnt the only game I play on my PC ;)

I sympathise with you - that does sound very poor on the part of Steam and they really should have some sort of cancellation and returns mechanism. As a consumer you are entitled to that right.

A number of people have posted about cancelling pre-orders and it does raise the question why people order before evaluating the product or the delivery mechanism fully. I deliberately downloaded the demo through Steam on both my PCs so that I could get a feel for it and decide whether it was the way to buy. I played the demo to see whether I liked the game and it was worth shelling out for. However much of a fanboy people accuse me of being, I would never buy a game sight unseen.

Nevertheless, you are entitled to change your mind about the purchase and it is bad form from Steam. If you get on the phone, just press whatever option gets you to an operator, then make sure they transfer you to the correct department. Use the words 'very disappointed' a lot - it always works.

I sympathise with you - that does sound very poor on the part of Steam and they really should have some sort of cancellation and returns mechanism. As a consumer you are entitled to that right.

A number of people have posted about cancelling pre-orders and it does raise the question why people order before evaluating the product or the delivery mechanism fully. I deliberately downloaded the demo through Steam on both my PCs so that I could get a feel for it and decide whether it was the way to buy. I played the demo to see whether I liked the game and it was worth shelling out for. However much of a fanboy people accuse me of being, I would never buy a game sight unseen.

Nevertheless, you are entitled to change your mind about the purchase and it is bad form from Steam. If you get on the phone, just press whatever option gets you to an operator, then make sure they transfer you to the correct department. Use the words 'very disappointed' a lot - it always works.

It wasn't the game that changed my mind- I'm still buying it, it's just that I want a boxed copy.

serves yourself right for being lazy enough to not go to a shop and buy it in person ;)

I knew I should have left my edited post unedited!

I'm in the US and no store in my area sells it. I already canceled a pre-order with Amazon because steam said I could play on the release date.

Steam is the best ever digital game purchase solution.

I use Steam from beginning and i have over 30 games there... best digital purchase solution EVER.

@SI dont listen these lame kids.

If you've been using it from the beginning then your credit card information might have been stolen.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/19/valves-steam-service-hacked-credit-card-information-obtained/

Just warning you.

Steam is the best ever digital game purchase solution.

I use Steam from beginning and i have over 30 games there... best digital purchase solution EVER.

@SI dont listen these lame kids.

Unfortunately you having no issues doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others. SI should be made aware if there are problems in the supply chain. I don't think they necessarily have to bin Steam, but they will want to push back on them to improve.

All you guys wanna spit on Steam becouse someone didnt recive response from Support!.

I NEVER had problems with steam. Never.

My games collection is held by Steam. I buy all games from Steam. (those avaible @steam)

There were problems in early stages, but NOW... its just something GREAT.

I will say again GREAT.

WHY?

1. Easy to buy.

2. I wont loose my CD/DVD

3. My CD-KEYS are safe @Steam database

Steam hosts some great games like HL1 collection, Total War, COD2, COD4 and much more, and when i change my PC or something

i can allways log to my Steam account and start downloading my games right away, i dont need to keep safe CD/DVDs, or worry about

where are they (CD/DVDs).

Many owners of FM09 will loose they CD/DVD copy of the game, but steam owners will always have their account safe... and FM09 ready to downlaod.

Steam is ~~ clean, fast, minimum banners, easy to install, remove, hide, restore... making backup of game installation files so you dont need to download

game everytime...

what else to say....

it uses less memory than solitaire :D j/k but very low memory usage.

Why preorder something that you have to download? I dont see any significant advantage to preorder anything from steam. If you just waited for the game to be released, and then bought it, you wouldnt have to go to such trouble that you have now.

All you guys wanna spit on Steam becouse someone didnt recive response from Support!.

I NEVER had problems with steam. Never.

My games collection is held by Steam. I buy all games from Steam. (those avaible @steam)

There were problems in early stages, but NOW... its just something GREAT.

I will say again GREAT.

WHY?

1. Easy to buy.

Steam hosts some great games like HL1 collection, Total War, COD2, COD4 and much more, and when i change my PC or something

i can allways log to my Steam account and start downloading my games right away, i dont need to keep safe CD/DVDs, or worry about

where are they (CD/DVDs).

Many owners of FM09 will loose they CD/DVD copy of the game, but steam owners will always have their account safe... and FM09 ready to downlaod.

Steam is ~~ clean, fast, minimum banners, easy to install, remove, hide, restore... making backup of game installation files so you dont need to download

game everytime...

what else to say....

even if they lost thier copy of FM 09 they will still be able to play the game as the disc isnt required anymore. highly unlikely they will buy the game and lose it before they validate.

1. Easy to buy.

If you manage to lose your DVDs and CD Keys then I think games are the least of your worries.

Really, how hard is it to look after something you've brought? Every one of my thousands of games are still mint in their box with a mint manual and a non-scratched CD.

You wouldn't lose a television or your bank details so why would you treat a game so cavalierly.

If you manage to lose your DVDs and CD Keys then I think games are the least of your worries.

Really, how hard is it to look after something you've brought? Every one of my thousands of games are still mint in their box with a mint manual and a non-scratched CD.

You wouldn't lose a television or your bank details so why would you treat a game so cavalierly.

"Every one of my thousands of games are still mint in their box with a mint manual and a non-scratched CD." Congrats... never managed to do that... i usually loose games.. or

borrow to someone... so .. i should stay at @steam :D

Same, why on earth would u lose a CD. Ive never known myself to lose a CD no matter how important or not it was to me. Surely if you play it it goes in the CD drive and if your not you put it in the box?

Not very likely to happen unless you put the cd box in a draw of a cupboard and then lost the cupboard perhaps....?

I have used Steam lots of times without problems. The one time I did have a question I never received an answer, so I know what you mean about their support. If there are no problems, Steams is great. When there is a problem...not so much.

But I do not understand why you would pre-order from Steam? Is it cheaper? If it isn't, I think it's better to just wait for the release day and purchase it then. It's not like they are going to run out of copies...

sorry i work for High Judicial and Prosecutorial Council
"Every one of my thousands of games are still mint in their box with a mint manual and a non-scratched CD." Congrats... never managed to do that... i usually loose games.. or

borrow to someone... so .. i should stay at @steam :D

Usually lose games!! No wonder you love steam so much then!! lol

Archived