Should training be simplified?

I think it would perhaps be better that we had a lot less hands on approach when it comes to training. Not because it is bad to be able to control training but rather that it is hard to work out what is a decent routine that will get the best out of our players. Fiddling about with sliders, most players aren't professional coaches and so have no idea. I just download training scheldules from someone who has put the time and effort into working out a best system. I know you can leave it to your assistant but it would be better to have a mid point between doing everything and doing nothing.

My idea would be that it basically depends on the quality of your facilities and coaches but that you could make specific requests.

For example if you have a striker going through a goal drought you could ask him the coaches to concentrate on finishing, obvioulsy this might reduce other aspects in the short term. Or you could do something like train for the offside trap or changing from 4 to 3 at the back before you introduced them into your match tactics.

Perhaps you could also put them through double training, for example you sometimes here managers saying after a defeat that therer will be extra training on Monday.

The current system is good, not great but good. The concept is you train players on skill, drilling, passing, shooting then on the tactics screen you show them the way to use their skills.

I do to a certain extent that the training systems need more work. IRL players are trained how to deal with corners, freekicks, how to make runs, whos making what run etc etc. FM doesn't have that.

Unless it has changed from FM08 to FM09 the training system couldn't be much simpler (well, apart from the old CM01/02 or earlier style!). It's a lot simpler than the version in CM03/04 (I think) in which we had a whole variety of different modules (Pig in the Middle, Sprinting, etc, etc) to put together to make a weekly schedule and hope it worked out ok.

I think the link between a managers tactics and the training isn't strong enough.

As a manager I don't train players to get them better, I train players to get them to play better in my tactics - Subtle difference. FM only trains players to get them 'better' with no link to a managers tactics.

Its actually easy to do the opposite, train your players in a way that makes them perform less well to your tactics. It must make it very difficult for people new to FM ....

Re: Neb

That's a good point actually. Often I'd like to improve my team's passing, but that is not the same as just pumping up the slider that corresponds to improving the passing attribute of all individual players.

Also when I have a striker out of form I'd like to put him on extra shooting practice, but as far as I'm aware increasing the Shooting training as it currently is just affects his Finishing/Long Shots attributes rather than getting him over a lack of confidence or short term loss of finishing form.

I like the current system , I would like to able to play matches between the squad memebers at my club e.g a 11 on 11 after training , or behind doors friendly :)

I do that. Just arrange friendlies with your reserve team. ;) Not sure if they have taken this feature out as not done that in the demo.

"Often I'd like to improve my team's passing, but that is not the same as just pumping up the slider that corresponds to improving the passing attribute of all individual players."

Is it not? I think its about perfect the way it is. Players + tactics and training = performance. Remember this is a management sim not a coaching sim. So if you wanted to improve your passing tweak the tactics tweak the training and if necessary buy a better passer.

I don't think we should lose the ability to tailor training ourselves - in fact that is an area I think should be enhanced. However, I do think we ought to be able to right click on any player and tell the coaches to increase training in certain areas and have them automatically create a new schedule from their existing one.

I agree with a lot of the points, but the thing is that a real manager would know how training effects players, you wouldn't need trial and error so much.

Also i think it is the training as a team that is neglected. I mean set piece training should be for the whole team but should help different players in different ways, increase the takers FK attribute, GKs ability, defenders and strikers heading etc.

I really think the training needs a revamp. Like Adam S said, I liked the selecting of activities too. They should bring that back and integrate it with the current system. I would also like to see a set piece creator, where you can tell your players where they should be for a set piece and how they should position themselves e.g. 3 players around a freekick one passes to the guy beside him, he dummies and the 3rd guy has a dig. They could work on this set piece for the lead up to the next game and if they have had enough time on it then it might pay off.

Just thought of something else, is a lot of player improvement, after a certain age, down to the individual taking responsiblity to practice themselves. For example you hear that C. Ronaldo spends ages practicing his skills with weights tied to his feet. Or Beckham spent a long time taking FKs. These probably didn't take place within the offical squad training.

I really think the training needs a revamp. Like Adam S said, I liked the selecting of activities too. They should bring that back and integrate it with the current system.

The problem with selecting activities, is that for it to work properly, you'd have to set it up differently every single week. Some weeks you have 1 match, some weeks 2 matches, you have matches on different days of the week and so on. It would be a nightmare to manage. You'd also possibly have issues with players on different training schedules that should be training together - e.g. your attackers and defenders should be doing set pieces together (the defenders can't practice defending set pieces without attackers to defend against), but if they are on separate training schedules how do you force the user to put these activities on at the same time?

I want the possibility to train player to fit into my ideas and tactics in football, so I believe both the tactical system and the training should be the next big rebuild for this game. This is where we want to compete against each other, not in scouting after players.

The problem with selecting activities, is that for it to work properly, you'd have to set it up differently every single week. Some weeks you have 1 match, some weeks 2 matches, you have matches on different days of the week and so on. It would be a nightmare to manage. You'd also possibly have issues with players on different training schedules that should be training together - e.g. your attackers and defenders should be doing set pieces together (the defenders can't practice defending set pieces without attackers to defend against), but if they are on separate training schedules how do you force the user to put these activities on at the same time?

But isnt this what the whole point of the game is about? realism? Im sure real managers have to change there training frequently to in regards to when games are on...players injured...if they have to go to a country with a different climate etc...

But isnt this what the whole point of the game is about? realism? Im sure real managers have to change there training frequently to in regards to when games are on...players injured...if they have to go to a country with a different climate etc...

I'm sure real life manager do, but it's a pretty boring repetitive task that you would have to do probably 40+ times per season, which would annoy the hell out of probably 99% of the users.

Exactly, maybe they could even have an option for simple training (How it is now) or advanced (the way I said). Or even allow your ass man to take training (already in game I think)

Exactly, maybe they could even have an option for simple training (How it is now) or advanced (the way I said). Or even allow your ass man to take training (already in game I think)

Yeah thats right if they dont want to do it they can just let there assistant control it. I miss the other options.....i used to be real fitness orientated and put alot of fitness tasks and gave the lads wedenesday mornings off....i like it , was realistic and challenging at the same time. Its much to simple now....may aswell not even tamper with it.

Yeah thats right if they dont want to do it they can just let there assistant control it. I miss the other options.....i used to be real fitness orientated and put alot of fitness tasks and gave the lads wedenesday mornings off....i like it , was realistic and challenging at the same time. Its much to simple now....may aswell not even tamper with it.

The problem with that is, you've now got the situation where it's either no control at all if the assistant does, or absolute control at the expense of massive amounts of micromanagement, so it just takes training completely out of the scope of almost all users. At least the system we've got now, must users can make use of it if they want to.

If I'm playing a flat back four looking to catch opponent players offside, I expect to spend significant time on it in training to ensure that it goes well in match.

Players don't practice positioning, movement individually and it all comes together on match day. They spend hours as a unit practicing. With the offside example, I'd like to be able to see the performace (via the Assistant Manager) in training, of the back 4 unit playing together. So that even though one centre back is the best, he doesn't play the offside trap as well as others, I want to know that and make my matchday selection as a result of the Assman feedback...

Same goes for striker pairings, CM pairings and fullback/winger pairings.

Its basically feedback that the players you have match the tactics you play. Also suggestions on how to improve my players to fit my tactics (or visa versa) would also be good from the Assistant manager. Thats what training is about, not individual players practising keepy uppys. (Which is what it seems like sometimes!!) Thats what it was at school, not what it is like in a proper team.

i would like to see a feature where you could choose specific activities for the training schedule. say instead of just attack training tell them to practise shooting on goal. or an option to ask the players "keep your shots low" far too many times have i seen a player sky a shot from 6 yards out. telling players to work on mark marking, specifically corners, free kicks penaltys. this would be usefull for players who have had a bad run of form recently and cant score. tell him to work specifically on his shooting. got a major final coming up? get the players to practise penaltys just incase.

there is a lot that can be improved upon with the training and maybe SI will do something for FM10

The problem with that is, you've now got the situation where it's either no control at all if the assistant does, or absolute control at the expense of massive amounts of micromanagement, so it just takes training completely out of the scope of almost all users. At least the system we've got now, must users can make use of it if they want to.

You could have an option for simple training (current system) and advanced training (a new system integrated with what I have been talking about) or finally just let your ass man take charge.

I prefer the training compared to CM04. What could inproved is the feedback from your assistant manager, telling you if a player looks out of form, why certain attributes have dropped and suggestions for improving them again. Also, I don't like the coaching side of things. Normally I have to sign lots of really good coaches and set them to only one aspect of training i.e. shooting, to get a 7 star rating. If they have 20 for all aspects of training and I sign them to all or just 2 the best you get is 4 stars. Can anyone tell me if this influences the players? I can't really tell. If they change the system so you could have soem one like Pat Rice as your AM who is brilliant at most aspects and then just hire a few extra coaches rather than loads of expensive ones to get maximum improvment from training.

Training seems more or less the same as fm2008, surely if u are that worried u can use your scheduels from fm2008?

Anyway it seems easy enough to figure out, and besides you have 3 more days of the demo to try and crack out a few basic regimes that function okay. thats what i did. got 4 or 5 different training options. did the same with tactics as well so i should be set up to go straight into the full version without having to worry about tactics or training too much.

Don't cause of your incompetence suggestion removing a feature there is fundamental to the game. Period

I didn't suggest removing the feature, just perhaps changing it. Maybe I shouldn't have said simplified but rather modified.

I would just like it to be more realistic, that doesn't have to involve chosing every training activity, but rather training for playing matches rather than just skills. I give players extra sessions on the offside trap if they are getting caught out to often etc.

Training is my least favourite aspect of every management game. IN FM 07 I just set the overall sliders to the highest possible without getting lots of players injured, which was the bottom of normal/average. Other than hiring/firing coaches and trying to get as many stars on each category annually, that's it.

I admit I always struggle with training.

I'm scared to mess with it too much in case I mess up the good players, and I'm not 100% sure how to improve my youngsters.

Also I don't like to devote too much time to it either. Though that could be the reason why I struggle, but I would like the option to have training in the hands of coaches and the assistant manager to ensure just steady improvement which will not waste the talent of my players.

How about adding a new feature for training on top on what we have right now? Like, Next match training? After all, players do train for matches and individual ability.

Next match training will be preparation for the up coming match. It can be set after the match that you had just finished.

The preparation training will be:

Short passing

Long passing

Offside trap

Set pieces

Man marking

Pressing / high closing down + covering for team mates that is closing down.

and others

For example, if you set short pass training for the up coming match, your team short passing will be more fluid/accurate and such. Same for the other choices, the selected choice will receive better efficiency.

How about adding a new feature for training on top on what we have right now? Like, Next match training? After all, players do train for matches and individual ability.

Next match training will be preparation for the up coming match. It can be set after the match that you had just finished.

The preparation training will be:

Short passing

Long passing

Offside trap

Set pieces

Man marking

Pressing / high closing down + covering for team mates that is closing down.

and others

For example, if you set short pass training for the up coming match, your team short passing will be more fluid/accurate and such. Same for the other choices, the selected choice will receive better efficiency.

Yeah I think it needs to be a bit more in depth, or even an option to make it so.

Archived