Activation system overwhelmmed on the day of release of the game

It should take up almost no bandwidth, or processing, to activate one person. So even times thousands, or tens of, it's still very little. It really can't be compared to the slowdown or crashing of a server when a file of hundreds of Meg is being downloaded by the same number of people.

Consider: Activation sends a few K of data once. Online games like Call of Duty send many more times data *constantly*.

So no, there shouldn't be a problem at all.

It should take up almost no bandwidth, or processing, to activate one person. So even times thousands, or tens of, it's still very little. It really can't be compared to the slowdown or crashing of a server when a file of hundreds of Meg is being downloaded by the same number of people.

Consider: Activation sends a few K of data once. Online games like Call of Duty send many more times data *constantly*.

So no, there shouldn't be a problem at all.

I was concerned about this etc etc too however the release is on a weekday (friday). I'm sure at least half the SI community (ie buyers) will be otherwise engaged at 9am (work, school etc) so hopefully there will not be a concentrated rush. I am convinced though that the telephone system of activating will fall over big time! Glad I just sorted out my broadband connection in time.

Each person will probably upload and download the equivalent of a few kilobytes of data. That means if a thousand people all activated at the same time, you'd have a few megabytes of data being downloaded and uploaded at once. You'd need an 80's server to find that a difficult amount of traffic.

If their servers can handle thousands of people downloading a game, then they can handle hundreds of thousands activating one.

Each person will probably upload and download the equivalent of a few kilobytes of data. That means if a thousand people all activated at the same time, you'd have a few megabytes of data being downloaded and uploaded at once. You'd need an 80's server to find that a difficult amount of traffic.

If their servers can handle thousands of people downloading a game, then they can handle hundreds of thousands activating one.

I'm pretty sure it's not the amount of data that's the problem, but the amount of connections at any one time.

As I plan to auth my retail ver through Steam, I'm quietly confident I won't be having a problem.

Archived