The Great Darlington Attendance Mystery 2010:

Having secured promotion to the Championship I was pleased to see the note from my box office informing me we had sold 10,493 season tickets.

I naturally assumed that would mean a crowd of at least 11,500 for my first home game of the season, with Millwall bringing along at least 500, plus some wandering Darlo fans excited by arrival in the championship adding to the attendance.

Well, the actual attendance was 9,729!!! icon_frown.gif

The next home game, a week later v Leicester attracted 10,281.

I expect "it's my tactics" icon_smile.gif

Having secured promotion to the Championship I was pleased to see the note from my box office informing me we had sold 10,493 season tickets.

I naturally assumed that would mean a crowd of at least 11,500 for my first home game of the season, with Millwall bringing along at least 500, plus some wandering Darlo fans excited by arrival in the championship adding to the attendance.

Well, the actual attendance was 9,729!!! icon_frown.gif

The next home game, a week later v Leicester attracted 10,281.

I expect "it's my tactics" icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I expect "it's my tactics" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately icon_smile.gif

There was a thread with this same topic a few weeks back, with the same problem. My guess is that when attendance is decided it just doesnt take into account how many season tickets were sold which is a bit strange really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frediculous_biggs:

Maybe people bought their season tickets, but were still on holiday for the first game, so didn't turn up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now thats what I call attention to detail lol.

as you were getting promoted did you get a stadium increase? becuase it could be that part of your stadium is closed off because of the upgrade...

either that or tweak your short passes as i found shorter passing increases crowd attendance...reason for that...well with shorter passes there is less chance of the ball hitting a small member of the crowd sitting on the front seats, therefore more families will be inclined to turn up. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> as you were getting promoted did you get a stadium increase? becuase it could be that part of your stadium is closed off because of the upgrade... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id be pretty annoyed if I bought a season ticket and couldn't go because there weren't enough seats!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nedlack:

as you were getting promoted did you get a stadium increase? becuase it could be that part of your stadium is closed off because of the upgrade...

either that or tweak your short passes as i found shorter passing increases crowd attendance...reason for that...well with shorter passes there is less chance of the ball hitting a small member of the crowd sitting on the front seats, therefore more families will be inclined to turn up. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Liked it mate icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

I can guarantee you it ain't for an upgrade. The Arena is a nice 25K seater that hosts concerts and many other large events, and at this point just happens to host an attendance of ~4K for Darlo these days...

Of course, that doesn't answer what the problem is, but we know one thing it's not...

I have experienced a similar thing at Baracelona, we have sold just over 78,000 season tickets but reguarly get 73-76,000 for less glamerous league ties (e.g. cadiz, levante).

This is mad, for a start attendances are measured, by assuming 100% season ticket attendance and adding on additional sales.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i hate to say it but its definately your tactics mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats like the 100th time in this thread. Its getting old now icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i hate to say it but its definately your tactics mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats like the 100th time in this thread. Its getting old now icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then it's the closing down slider. You've got it too much towards Whole Pitch.

This reminds me of a joke - a season ticket holder notices a seat reserved next to him is always empty, until eventually at a boxing day match the seat is filled. Unable to hide his curiosity, he asks the guy in the seat why he's never been before. He answers "the wife bought it me as a xmas present."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IbrahimAliMaher:

This reminds me of a joke - a season ticket holder notices a seat reserved next to him is always empty, until eventually at a boxing day match the seat is filled. Unable to hide his curiosity, he asks the guy in the seat why he's never been before. He answers "the wife bought it me as a xmas present." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That happened in real life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Das_Boof:

She bought it for him as a christmas present, but didn't give it to him until christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was it but I couldn't be sure. Worst joke I've ever heard of icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Das_Boof:

She bought it for him as a christmas present, but didn't give it to him until christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was it but I couldn't be sure. Worst joke I've ever heard of icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, no... The guy had season tickets, good reserved seat, etc. The guy comes in on boxing day and finds the guy next to him got the ticket the day before, whose wife had just got it, nullifying the first guy's benefits as a season ticket holder...

jeez, gotta 'splain everything around here... icon_biggrin.gif

Attendance is one of the enigma’s of FM. The lack of transparency and detail on this and other (finance) makes this game vague and leads you into a lack of logic. Why not show more detail about the crowd attending like number of season ticket holders, home and away visitors and ticket prices (show ticket prices not manage them). The only variable now is that you attract more attendance for high rep clubs and when you do well in your league.

Archived