how do people get on to like 2017-2018 so quick

Depends on many things. How many leagues you play, how quick the game proceeds, how much detail you manage with. If you (like me) like to tweak every little thing, then it takes a long time.

If you change your formation once a year and buy players every now and then and don't do anything else then you'll go pretty quick.

Finally, some people probably just sit and play it all day long, if they have the time to spare!

It all depends on the amount of time you spend on it, and how much detail you go into. My game can run through an entire season in eight hours on processing time alone, and, taking into account matches and so on, it generally takes me to about two full days playing time to complete a season. Through dipping in and out, doing an hour here and an hour there most days, and staying on the same long term game since the release, I've made it to the start of the 17/18 season.

I was on disability when FM08 came out, and played it 10+ hours a day for a couple months. Now that I'm back to work, it's maybe 10+ hours a week. I haven't gone on holiday, nor have I downloaded a savegame. I did restart my game a couple times until I knew I had my editor-created fictional team (no players or staff, rep and cash-on-hand set on par w/recently-promoted-to-BSS, and with media, town, weather, and expandable stadium) set up the way I wanted.

I'm in late Nov 19/20, running 78 leagues in 42 countries (or something close to that). My Addivtiveness Level at 30 days and some-odd hours is "Repetitive Strain Injury, Anyone?"

I am now in year 2030. But I have had a lot of free time lately. I usually have all my tactics set out the way I want it and I rarely buy players in the January transfer window, so I just skim through games very quickly. Also, right now Im managing England and you can sometimes go half a year without an international match, so most of the time, Im just clicking the space bar and I go through half a year in about 5 minutes because I have no matches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Some people also download saved games from other websites that have the season starting in 2018 as well (footballmanagerportal.co.uk being on the of the sites - visit that and view their "Time Machine") </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! I usually go on holiday for the first season and start playing from the second season by going to holiday and wait long long time before I start the game, not realise there are such things! But I can't donwload any of them due to quota restriction...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Some people also download saved games from other websites that have the season starting in 2018 as well (footballmanagerportal.co.uk being on the of the sites - visit that and view their "Time Machine") </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im not going to do that, but when i wen on to it i clcked 2023 and there was no link to download it, is there anyway i could get it if i ever decide that i want to do that ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snoweel:

Whenever I start a new game I untick 'Use Real Players' and go on holidays for 20-30 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you start unemployed or can you make it that long on vacation without being sacked?

I'm running 80 leagues and have just started a new game with the latest patch. It's taken me 7 hours to get to November. I like looking at stats from around other leagues and changing my tactics and looking through the player database.

Usually takes a few days of solid play to finish a season. Don't think I could have fun if I went through season after season in a day.

I got to 2016 fairly quickly by

1) managing in South Africa and Iceland, where the seasons are very short and there aren't many competitions to be involved in

2) turning the detail level down the minimum for EVERYTHING. Seriously, who cares if you can't watch the highlights of the little dots playing in the South American U20 qualifiers?

I struggle to get so far into a game too. I think the longest I've ever really played a save for was about 8 seasons. After that there's too many other distractions. It probably doesn't help that I can never make up my mind who I want to manage so I'm constantly starting new games. When I do focus on one save it still takes me a week or two to get through a season.

hi i went on the above website looks interesting want to start a game around 2011 was just wondering on the website it says the saves are from the original database i have the 8.02 patch installed so if i start one of them saves will the red cards ,offsides e.t.c be sorted from the original database? thanks in advance

I'm in 2026. Spent 12 years managing England before adding the first patch (must've only been 80-100 matches or so, quite quick to do), then holidayed for a couple of seasons to freshen the players up before starting my current game.

I don't play as often as I did, but can quite easily rack up eight hours on a weekend day between getting up and going out in the evening. Plus my occasional two hour game during the week can easily stretch to four or five hours if my season is nearing completion.

This applies to FM games generally as I alwasy start out at the bottom. It takes me several evenings to complete a season...and I don't have the time to play every day, so it can take a fortnight or longer. I don't mind though. I normally stop after about 10 seasons if I've not managed to progress much. I'd rather try another country than be stuck in the English non league for any longer,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I've been playing FM08 since release day, and have only played 2 games.

Game 1 - Carshalton, 15 Seasons (2022)

Game 2 - Knockbreda, 20 Seasons (2028)

I get through a season every 2-3 days usually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Ah, to be young and single.... icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by solid3:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snoweel:

Whenever I start a new game I untick 'Use Real Players' and go on holidays for 20-30 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you start unemployed or can you make it that long on vacation without being sacked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I start with an unemployed alter ego and then when I want to start playing I add myself and he retires.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm still on the first save game I started on FM05.

Still, at least it sounds impressive if I say I'm currently watching World Cup '66.

100 years of hurt, and all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

God i wish i could see some screenies of that. In the appropriate forum, of course icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Le God:

Im in 2042 with AFC Wimbledon icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 70 this year in my game with 1 year left so think i'll call it a day after all i'm knocking on abit and it is 4042 also.

So off to see FRANK in the LLM forum to see who i manage next time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how do people get on to like 2017-2018 so quick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Cause some people don't play. They just follow their well established formula of mouse-clicks, keystrokes, teams, and players until they've reached the "top".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robertodibaggio:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I've been playing FM08 since release day, and have only played 2 games.

Game 1 - Carshalton, 15 Seasons (2022)

Game 2 - Knockbreda, 20 Seasons (2028)

I get through a season every 2-3 days usually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Ah, to be young and single.... icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Girlfriend of 18 months, thanks icon_biggrin.gif ... I'll take you up on the "young" but though. \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sthptngomad76:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm still on the first save game I started on FM05.

Still, at least it sounds impressive if I say I'm currently watching World Cup '66.

God i wish i could see some screenies of that. In the appropriate forum, of course icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

104 years of hurt..._____________...and counting

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nick...:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sthptngomad76:

God i wish i could see some screenies of that. In the appropriate forum, of course icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

104 years of hurt..._____________...and counting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Class.

Archived