64 bit or 32

ive got a qaudcore q6600 2.40ghz 4gb ram system will i get more out of a 32 bit os or a 64 bit os i think my 32bit os only picks up 2.7 gb of my ram.i know this sounds daft but ive asked other people and got a 50-50 feed back

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% 64bit.

Looks like I'm running almost the same as you.

Q6600 @ 3Ghz

4gb of OCZ Reaper 800Mhz @ 900Mhz

8800GT

Go for 64bit I've not had any issues at all yet, and I've a few mates running 64bit and its fine, in fact my 6 year old printer worked instantly! Thank you P&P.

It would be best to go Vista 64 as Xp 64 driver support is dwindling.

Hobgob.

cheers guys well im on vista now and have't had any problems with it,will the drivers for my internet connection be diffrent on 64bit vo as i have a certain number of drivers on disc that i burnt of just in case i changed my os

cheers guys well im on vista now and have't had any problems with it,will the drivers for my internet connection be diffrent on 64bit vo as i have a certain number of drivers on disc that i burnt of just in case i changed my os

No, the connection will be the same and all major drivers will be on 64bit anyway. Only thing you really need is GFX driver, then any peripherals.

vista is rubbish mate stick with XP

I'm fed up of people slating Vista there's nothing wrong with it, its safer and smoother than XP. Its not Microsofts fault if you don't have enough RAM.

Hobgob.

I'm fed up of people slating Vista there's nothing wrong with it, its safer and smoother than XP. Its not Microsofts fault if you don't have enough RAM.

Hobgob.

Safer, yes, smoother - no. Even with 4Gb of RAM (most XP systems have 2GB or less, and 4Gb is well over the minimum requirements) it's still a very clunky system and performs lower in many processing benchmarking tests tbh. It's not a bad OS at all, and now that there are more and more drivers for it, there isn't too much wrong with it. I have both, but XP is still better in many regards (though Vista does have the winning edge of officially supporting DX10).

Safer, yes, smoother - no. Even with 4Gb of RAM (most XP systems have 2GB or less, and 4Gb is well over the minimum requirements) it's still a very clunky system and performs lower in many processing benchmarking tests tbh. It's not a bad OS at all, and now that there are more and more drivers for it, there isn't too much wrong with it. I have both, but XP is still better in many regards (though Vista does have the winning edge of officially supporting DX10).

Ok, you just made it sound as if it were C%&P. Glad we agree. About the benchmark results, thats a given really due to higher system resources, slower benchmark results have and always will be the way, 95 - 97, Xp - Vista, Vista - 7.....etc etc.

Hobgob.

No, the connection will be the same and all major drivers will be on 64bit anyway. Only thing you really need is GFX driver, then any peripherals.

Hobgob.

i ran vista for a year with 3 gig of ram and i thought it was ok. But since going back to XP it has been night and day. Vista still rapes your pc. its an OS that will never be a leading OS, businesses hate it and windows 7 on the horizon. Vista will vanish rather quickly in the next 3-4 years.

right guys im on my laptop now just installed vista ultimate 64 bit tried to use the ethernet controller drivers i have on disc to connect my internet and it says i need the 64 bit driver this is wot i ment,so could 1 of you be a gem and try find me the 64 bit driver please i'll search on my laptop aswell,my pc is a acer veriton m464

i ran vista for a year with 3 gig of ram and i thought it was ok. But since going back to XP it has been night and day. Vista still rapes your pc. its an OS that will never be a leading OS, businesses hate it and windows 7 on the horizon. Vista will vanish rather quickly in the next 3-4 years.

Windows 7 will have the all the same problems as Vista and introduce a whole load of new ones.

Back on topic I went for Vista 64bit as I have 4GB of RAM in my machine. I can't even think of a sensible reason why Microsoft released a 32bit version of Vista.

right guys im on my laptop now just installed vista ultimate 64 bit tried to use the ethernet controller drivers i have on disc to connect my internet and it says i need the 64 bit driver this is wot i ment,so could 1 of you be a gem and try find me the 64 bit driver please i'll search on my laptop aswell,my pc is a acer veriton m464

The biggest problem with 32 bit and 64 bit O/S decision making is probably not currently whether you have the drivers but whether the software you are running has been coded to work with a 64 bit o/s

In the case of FM09 I believe its been written for a 32 bit os and so you will not see a processing improvement. Much like using a quad core or a dual core, assuming you only have FM09 running. It wont hurt but may not be worth the expense. This is true of most games and software

My personal preference is XP 32 bit. Vista whilst looking nicer uses more RAM to run the OS than XP so its less ram running your FM09

I work for a major european IT consultancy and we still issue new lap tops with 32bit Win XP (pro)

32bit XP is considered to be the most stable os at the mo

We are only just seeing games being coded to make full use of quad cores ....

Is it really necessary to use that particular word? You could use slow down, or hogs, or ... well you get the idea.

Rape has more than one use , Some people sit at home waiting to pounce on any little thing . Have a word with yourself how do you get through every day when you can be offended by little things like that ? .

Ive just ordered a new comp today i will post the spec below , I can wait to get it should run like a dream .

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,6MB Cache,1333MHz)

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit - English

Coolermaster Dominator 690 High Performance ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU

ASUS P5QL Pro Mainboard - Intel P43 - Intel Core™ 2 Duo/ Quad/ Extreme - ATX

8192MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (4 x 2GB)

1TB (1x 1000GB) Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer

Blu-ray ROM Player Dual layer DVD Writer 24 x CD Writer

512MB ATi 4850 Graphics accelerator - DVI, DirectX 10.1 PCI Express 2

22" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display (DVI, 5ms)

Rape has more than one use , Some people sit at home waiting to pounce on any little thing . Have a word with yourself how do you get through every day when you can be offended by little things like that ? .

Ive just ordered a new comp today i will post the spec below , I can wait to get it should run like a dream .

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,6MB Cache,1333MHz)

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit - English

Coolermaster Dominator 690 High Performance ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU

ASUS P5QL Pro Mainboard - Intel P43 - Intel Core™ 2 Duo/ Quad/ Extreme - ATX

8192MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (4 x 2GB)

1TB (1x 1000GB) Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer

Blu-ray ROM Player Dual layer DVD Writer 24 x CD Writer

512MB ATi 4850 Graphics accelerator - DVI, DirectX 10.1 PCI Express 2

22" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display (DVI, 5ms)

Just a quick note; most of that power will go unused unless you are planning on using it as a server. Crysis is still the most demanding game on the market and will run on high with a computer 1/4 the price :)

Apparently windows 7 is everything Vista wanted to be. It gets rid of all the gripes people have with Vista. So it is a lot faster and well i cant wait for that tbh.

EDIT: On topic - 64bit is best

Its a shame because Vista is such a beautiful name and the one that's better is just going to be called "7".

yes, choose 64bit. No point not using all your ram if you use vista. Right now I have 4gb ram on xp and it only uses about 3.5, I'm planning to get 7, so I'm gonna hold out till then.

as no 1 got any tips for me then to get most out of it,ive barley got any programs on,nod32 as anti virus then just other bits and bats like ccleaner

A good tip would be not to get millions of programs which do everything under the sun, but none of them you will ever really use.

With the older games, a lot of them will have been written for 32-bit operating systems

Most newer programs too. FM09 (as far as I know) is still a 32bit program. FM08 was.

If you have Vista/XP 64 have a look at the task manager, any program with *32 next to it's name is a 32 bit program.

Archived