The past experience option for manager

Just wondering if it effects your chances of getting a top job. For example, if I set my past experience status to Sunday-league footballer and take Leicester City up to the Premiership, is it still unlikely that a top club will approach me? If it is what experience should I set it to. I'm not very keen to set it as International Footballer as I find getting linked with top posts as tedious even if you're not having much success. I prefer to earn respect as a manager, rather have it automatically from the start.

Reputation impacts on performance of your team aswell. Players respond to experianced managers and successful managers more then sunday league inexperianced managers. Me personally like to keep it realistic and put it as low as possible. Your experiance will probably go up if you get successful promotion to the premier league but you would have to be fairly consistant and get some good results to get approached from a big club. Again there is to many variables to know if you will get a offer of a top job though.

Just wondering if it effects your chances of getting a top job. For example, if I set my past experience status to Sunday-league footballer and take Leicester City up to the Premiership, is it still unlikely that a top club will approach me? If it is what experience should I set it to. I'm not very keen to set it as International Footballer as I find getting linked with top posts as tedious even if you're not having much success. I prefer to earn respect as a manager, rather have it automatically from the start.

My experiences from FM:

1. I have set my past exp. as Sunday League Footballer (SLF) always, simply because it is true.

2. At the start on whatever level (with Villa in Prem, or York in Conf) players are unhappy about hiring an unexperienced manager.

3. Players are gelling together only slowly, playing lethargic, can not motivate themselves to play for you etc.

4. Player morales are poor for first quarter/half season based not on luck/performance in matches but on your unexperience.

5. They have often in Personal Profile written that they are convinced that you are not the right one manager to make any progress.

As it was said in "Usual Suspects": Convince me...!

All you need is to convince players, board and fans that you are the right one whether you are experienced or not.

IMHO game is much thougher if you start as unexperienced/SLF.

The past experience option allows you to choose your reputation at the start. Any change to your reputation during the progress of the game should probably only be influenced by your achievements in game.

The main effects of your choice are:

- The chance to be offer other jobs - especially at the start they are significantly better if you choose a higher option

- The happiness of high-profile players to work with you at the start is affected. This has a bigger effect the bigger the club of your choice is. At a Blue Square Premier club players should have no issues with an unknown manager, but if you take over a EPL side with no history in professional football, then your players will be as suprised and reserved towards you as they would be irl.

As I tend to start as Liverpool (why would anyone not?), I find it unnecessarily difficult to start with anything other than the top reputation.

If you don't, you basically have to write off winning the league in the first season, as your players (quite rightly) think you are an idiot, and play rubbish for months.

In reality, given that an someone inexperienced like me would NEVER get the job based on my actual reputation in the game, I can't see the point in pretending that I got the job even though I do not have any of the pre-requisite experience/reputation to really get.

Here's hoping that the game (+ patch) is not a bit of a let down until patch 2.

I've always thought your reputation goes up a bit too slowly though, I'd rather start with a small team with a higher reputation than start with a small reputation from the bat, as I once took almost 5 years for a club of a higher level to try and hire me.

I usually set my ex to sunday league or semi pro. I then sometimes will take over a lowly international team like one of the Africian ones for a season that helps increase my rep enough that you get talked about as poss replacement for club x etc...

I tend to set my experience level based on my success, or lack thereof, in my previous game. So, as I went through two or three barren years with FM prior to 2008 (I hardly won anything for about 3 years - didn't stop me enjoying it though), I set my experience really low.

As my last game with FM (40 season long term game) was really successful I will probably set my reputation fairly high for my first game.

When, however, I have gotten used to the new game, it's features etc, I will start with lowest experience and unemployed.

• 3 years later...

I think the past experience mode effects the chances of employment. I was managing Swansea with Sunday League Footballer setting and never got offered or simply linked to any job vacancies (really wanted the Chelsea role after they had digested their 8th manager on the game :L). I finally got offered to Chelsea role after about 5/6 seasons and only after I won the Europa League, Carling Cup, and FA Cup. Took the job only to realise my Swansea squad was now better than the Chelsea squad and I was offered peanuts in a budget to rebuild my beloved Chelsea :( But that's FM :L

I have found that as an unemployed sunday league player, you can generally expect to be offered jobs at clubs in BSP, BSN, BSS, and in rare exceptions, poor clubs in NP1 or NP2. Therefore, you can expect players to be unhappy by your appointment if you start the game in a club at a higher level, say NP1 and upwards. In my recent save, i waited for two years before applying for a job, and seemed to be getting better and better job offers from BSN/BSS, up to relegation-threatened or relegated clubs to NP2 or NP1 . After only a few months at my current club, my description got upgradet to talented manager. I suspect that even as an unemployed manager, it is possible to improve your reputation simply by ageing and being linked to different jobs that you decline.

The different past experience modes are made for players who want to go for the "career mode" way of playing the game. If you plan on sticking to one club from the beginning, it makes no sense to disadvantage yourself possibly for the duration of the entire savegame. If none of the players have the slightest faith in you, the entire motivation and team talk features of the game will be effectively disfunctional, removing your ability to affect the performances of your players indefinitely. Because until you actually win a trophy, your reputation will remain practically unchanged.

Granted, choosing a low starting reputation makes the game more difficult, but in my opinion it makes it more difficult in an entirely unenjoyable way. It is like not being able to use the mouse in Skyrim, not being able to brake in Forza and not being allowed to flip pieces in Tetris. Sure, that would make those games harder, but would you like playing them like that?

If you choose Sunday-League starting reputation, you will have to prove yourself to your players regardless of which club you take over. Choosing International, you will be chased by big clubs and big nations. I decline them all anyways, so to me the only disadvantage of choosing International is that I will be able to attract players I would otherwise not have access to. If that is what it takes to be allowed to use the team talk feature, I'd say that is worth it.

Anything that makes the game harder is a bonus IMO - hated the days when you could go from the Conference to the Premier in 4 or 5 seasons - I'm quite happy to piddle about in the Conference South for 6 or 7 years trying to build a healthy bank balance and develop youth players into good first teamers before promotion :)

• 1 year later...

I find the whole concept of starting reputation sort of silly (with the possible exception of folks who start unemployed) and I always go with "experienced international". Otherwise your team almost invariably underperforms for the first few months because they don't respect you or whatever. It's a bit of an absurdity.

I find the whole concept of starting reputation sort of silly (with the possible exception of folks who start unemployed) and I always go with "experienced international". Otherwise your team almost invariably underperforms for the first few months because they don't respect you or whatever. It's a bit of an absurdity.

Its hardly silly.

You should pick a reputation that matches the club you have chosen to start with or alternatively one that matches the sort of clubs you want to manage if starting unemployed.

Its hardly silly.

You should pick a reputation that matches the club you have chosen to start with or alternatively one that matches the sort of clubs you want to manage if starting unemployed.

It's quite silly.

I mean, the entire idea that a complete nobody with no coaching experience would be hired by a major club is ridiculous to begin with, so the game attempting to "realistically" model this by having your players hate you and get turned off by everything you say is just nonsensical on face value. It would make some sense if "automatic" simply set you to the same reputation as your starting club, but for some reason it doesn't seem to do that.

It's quite silly.

I mean, the entire idea that a complete nobody with no coaching experience would be hired by a major club is ridiculous to begin with, so the game attempting to "realistically" model this by having your players hate you and get turned off by everything you say is just nonsensical on face value. It would make some sense if "automatic" simply set you to the same reputation as your starting club, but for some reason it doesn't seem to do that.

Urm thats what automatic does if you start with a club.

If you start unemployed it gets set to a level that allows you to get a job in the lowest league you have loaded.

Urm thats what automatic does if you start with a club.

If you start unemployed it gets set to a level that allows you to get a job in the lowest league you have loaded.

Are you certain that's what automatic does if you start with a club? Because anytime I used automatic when starting with a major club, I'd get player complaints about motivation and team talk responses would be negative for the first few months. This stopped when I switched to "international footballer".

I think it would be cool if you could select what clubs your character played for or even backroom staff jobs. It would makes things a bit realistic when starting with a big club if you already worked there either as player or backroom staff.

Are you certain that's what automatic does if you start with a club? Because anytime I used automatic when starting with a major club, I'd get player complaints about motivation and team talk responses would be negative for the first few months. This stopped when I switched to "international footballer".

Whats the lowest league that you have loaded?

If you start with a club, selecting automatic will give you the reputation of the lowest ranked club in your chosen league.

This is what it says if you hover over it when selecting.

This makes some sense given the results I generally saw.

There should be an option to set your reputation to whatever the reputation of your starting club is.

Archived