"Steam" question

Despite the latest debate about Steam, for me personally it's a welcome method, because in SLovenia the game was usually made available 2-3 weeks after release and most online stores (Amazon, Play...) don't deliver here.

My question is - I've preordered on Steam, I'll be downloading the game and activating it - so far so good. But when I play the game, do I always have to run Steam, or will it authorise the game at the first start only? And if I install it on my laptop do I have to install steam there aswell?

Steam will be a required process that will run in the background.

You can download before the 14th, but not unlock.

It won't, please don't give disinformation, once authenticated you can even uninstall Steam, the game will still run.

It won't, please don't give disinformation, once authenticated you can even uninstall Steam, the game will still run.

Pardon?

Everything I've read regarding Steam is that if you purchase a game through their service then you will require Steam to run the actual game itself. Steam just sits there as a background process - when I downloaded and activated CS:S through Steam, I couldn't play it when I uninstalled Steam afterward (I wasn't a huge fan of them at the time).

You can run the game in "offline" mode, which will still mean that Steam is running but has no active connection.

I've even searched the forum to try and find evidence to suggest this isn't the case - if it is there, and I've missed it, then I will happily concede!

So no, I'm not intentionally spreading misinformation; just information that I've been given and have read.

Anyway, if I'm wrong and you're right, then I am happy enough - because it means I don't have to run Steam :thup:

Pardon?

Everything I've read regarding Steam is that if you purchase a game through their service then you will require Steam to run the actual game itself. Steam just sits there as a background process - when I downloaded and activated CS:S through Steam, I couldn't play it when I uninstalled Steam afterward (I wasn't a huge fan of them at the time).

You can run the game in "offline" mode, which will still mean that Steam is running but has no active connection.

I've even searched the forum to try and find evidence to suggest this isn't the case - if it is there, and I've missed it, then I will happily concede!

So no, I'm not intentionally spreading misinformation; just information that I've been given and have read.

Anyway, if I'm wrong and you're right, then I am happy enough - because it means I don't have to run Steam :thup:

I downloaded fm09 demo through steam...i can run the game even with the steam closed...so you do not need the steam to run

another "steam question"....when the game will be released on the 14th, will it be already patched?or after downloading the full game a pop up will appear and tell you that there is a patch that you can download?

We don't know yet, it would be nice if it's a new app as opposed to the old requiring a separate patch.

Thanks for the answers guys...I know that there are threads about Steam, but I wanted to keep my specific question in one place, because there are many contradicting answers - even in this thread one says I'll need steam and another one says I won't need it...

And houw about my laptop - do I have to download it again on the laptop, or will I have installation files on my PC, transfer them to laptop install, log on to steam and just activate?

Thanks for the answers guys...I know that there are threads about Steam, but I wanted to keep my specific question in one place, because there are many contradicting answers - even in this thread one says I'll need steam and another one says I won't need it...

And houw about my laptop - do I have to download it again on the laptop, or will I have installation files on my PC, transfer them to laptop install, log on to steam and just activate?

You will be able to back up all the files onto a disk, or these days maybe a memory card/stick. Then you'll need to get Steam onto the laptop and copy the files back into the same folder as where you took them from in the Steam directory.

Archived