Minor tweak to the 3D pitch - Black Boundary.

This is a very minor issue, but I would be interested to see if anyone shares the same view on something that would possibly be relatively simple to implement.

I know that some people have been discussing stadium graphics, etc, with a view to achieving a more graphically acurate experience within the 3D engine. I've no problem with this in theory and I'm sure that over time, the 3D will begin to look very good indeed. My idea is to go the other way for the moment.

I don't like the stadium graphics in their current form and choose to turn them off. Doing so presents the 3D pitch in the middle of a featureless expanse of green 'grass'. I would much prefer it if, instead of this, there was simply a black border. around the actual playing surface, with no features beyond the ad hoardings.

For me, CM/FM has always been about filling in the blanks with a bit of imagination. I think it would be easier to do this with a black boundary. The current green approach does give the impression of the match taking place in the middle of a big park. In my opinon, Barca vs Real at the Nou Camp, or United vs Liverpool at Old Trafford, would be much more easily imagined against a black background. This was the case with the 2D engine, which made this rather easy.

To summarise, my request is that when the user sellects 'Stadiums Off' under Display Options, the current green texture around the 3D playing surface is replaced by a simple, black background.

Thoughts?

Yeah, this occured to me last night, but I couldn't get it to work in the demo. I tried blacking out both of the .png textures in the stadium folder. On first attempt I got a simple pitch glitch, but everytime I've gone to a match since, the game reverts to the default textures (presumably from an internal archive or something) as though nothing's been changed. I guess I'll have a another look with the full game, unless anyone can suggest a different approach.

Archived