Local Council blocking stadium expansion

What happens when the Local Council blocks your stadium expansion? How can the problem be solved?

When I got the message I immediately requested another time the board to expand the stadium but I received a message telling me that they had already given the green light for this expansion. OK, they were ready for the expansion, but the Local Council no!!!

This is rather annoying. Although I was managing Hampton and Richmond (consolidating in League 1) and like you, the council blocked my proposed stadium expansion. So the board took out a loan of £18 million and built a new 10,000 seater stadium elsewhere which was rather pleasing.

It's just a shame the monthly re-payments are almost £200,000 on top of all the other bills and now I am in financial trouble. :(

So the board took out a loan of £18 million and built a new 10,000 seater stadium elsewhere which was rather pleasing.

It's just a shame the monthly re-payments are almost £200,000 on top of all the other bills and now I am in financial trouble. :(

But did they take a loan because there was no money in the bank, or is it a normal procedure for the game?

What's an average price for a new stadium? Is there an index somewhere with the prices in relation to the size?

My bank balance was just under £3 million, so even then the stadium plans ( capacity at this time was only 3300) wouldn't have been that big.

When the council blocked the plans I opted to upgrade the training and youth facilities instead.

Back in a long term game in FM08, I would ask for an expansion every season.

First time, got an expansion.

Second time, blocked by council.

Third time, expansion.

Fourth, council.

Fifth, expansion, etc

You see where this is going. Just try again next year and maybe you'll get lucky.

But did they take a loan because there was no money in the bank, or is it a normal procedure for the game?

What's an average price for a new stadium? Is there an index somewhere with the prices in relation to the size?

Stadiums which usually pop up around england atm are roughly $100 million pound, for thirty thousand seats. The basic stadiums, are around $50 million.

I had an interesting situation at Werder Bremen in FM08 because my game crashed just after the season changeover so I had to play it again.

First time the board said the council had blocked planning permission, second time they announced they were building a new stadium - thus it seems to me that there is just some percentage chance thing going on when you get rejected (and have reached max capacity I assume) as to whether the board opt to build a new stadium.

As for the cost, it is crippling for me at Bremen because they took out a £152 million loan which amounts to more like £300 million in terms of repayments. The actual stadium cost £192 million, but they announced they had sold the Weserstadion for £40 million to slightly offset the cost. That was for a ~54,000 capacity new stadium.

Unlike many people who get excited wanting a new stadium I would have much rather stayed at our ~42,000 capacity Weserstadion than ended up with those horrendouos repayments and a stadium named after Otto Rehhagel. Incidentally we only had ~£10 million in the bank so bank balance appears to play very little part in the decision whether or not to build a new stadium, they will happily build the whole thing off a massive loan.

This is rather annoying. Although I was managing Hampton and Richmond (consolidating in League 1) and like you, the council blocked my proposed stadium expansion. So the board took out a loan of £18 million and built a new 10,000 seater stadium elsewhere which was rather pleasing.

Thats steep, london prices no doubt, my eastleigh side in the championship has nearly finished building a new 17774 seater stadium for 15 million, i've had to struggle for 2 years paying £170000 pm so sold off £7.5 million of players last season. I've had a capacity of 3000 for 4 years in the championship, average attendance is a 1/4 of the next lowest.

Due to move in next month and just been told the building work has overrun and it will be 5 months late!

Also i had the council block extending the stadium one season, but when i asked the next season they extended the seating by 700 seats so it doesn't always mean they are going to build a new stadium or that there is no room for expansion because the council blocks it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived