those with nvidia 8600 GT feedback please

Hi, anyone with a nvidia 8600 gts can you say if it either just about copes or runs very well with the 3d match engine? Just bought one for 50 quid from ebuyer.com, recommened by a friend as a good reasonably priced card. Thanks.

p.s also what RAM and CPU speed do those with the card have? :thup:

Hi, anyone with a nvidia 8600 gts can you say if it either just about copes or runs very well with the 3d match engine? Just bought one for 50 quid from ebuyer.com, recommened by a friend as a good reasonably priced card. Thanks.

I have dual core e6600 2.66 with 4gb ram and 8600gts card.

3D match engine works well.

Hope you enjoy the game with your new card.

The card will be fine, it's supported, it more than meets the minimum specs...that's why you bought it, it's not brain surgery...oh and get 2gbs of ram.

My laptop has the lesser Nvidia 8400GS 128Mb card and the 3D is very smooth (Core2Duo 2.5Ghz cpu and 4Gb ram) so an 8600gts will be more than good enough..

AMD X2 5200+, 2 gigs of RAM, a bog-standard 8600GT 256 megs, runs fine as it should do. If so you did, I wouldn't have recommended to buy a model that has 512 or the absurd 1024 megs of these if you have to fork out additional money for that - it's not the fastest of cards and generally runs out of steam way before the additional amount of RAM could be utilized to good effect. More RAM could be needed for games that require a lot of video memory (FM doesn't), like at higher resolutions than say 1280x1024 pixels and quality settings cranked up, at which point a 8600GT is unlikely to keep up anyway.

Hope you made sure to check what video slot your mobo has - sounds like it could well be one with an AGP slot. While Ati released it's rival entry-level DirectX10 cards (2600 Pro/XT) of that time for AGP as well, I'm not sure if the 8600GT was released in any other format than PCIE. It's also hard to tell what kind of CPU you have, the clock speed doesn't tell anything. But if it's a rather old-ish Athlon XP you could have probably saved a bit of money by going for a cheaper card, as it's unlikely that your CPU is fast enough to make an efficient match for the card.

AMD X2 5200+, 2 gigs of RAM, a bog-standard 8600GT 256 megs, runs fine as it should do. If so you did, I wouldn't have recommended to buy a model that has 512 or the absurd 1024 megs of these if you have to fork out additional money for that - it's not the fastest of cards and generally runs out of steam way before the additional amount of RAM could be utilized to good effect. More RAM could be needed for games that require a lot of video memory (FM doesn't), like at higher resolutions than say 1280x1024 pixels and quality settings cranked up, at which point a 8600GT is unlikely to keep up anyway.

Hope you made sure to check what video slot your mobo has - sounds like it could well be one with an AGP slot. While Ati released it's rival entry-level DirectX10 cards (2600 Pro/XT) of that time for AGP as well, I'm not sure if the 8600GT was released in any other format than PCIE. It's also hard to tell what kind of CPU you have, the clock speed doesn't tell anything. But if it's a rather old-ish Athlon XP you could have probably saved a bit of money by going for a cheaper card, as it's unlikely that your CPU is fast enough to make an efficient match for the card.

My mobo does have one PCI-e x16 which matched the cards description, so that should be fine. The demo right now runs okay, but the 3d match engine doesn't, so I was hoping just upgrading the graphics card would do the trick. Its the HD 256 mb version, and I thought 50 quid sounded like a fair price...

My CPU is a AMD sempron 3200. I looked into overclocking it but there's no option to in the BIOS. (apparently cos' its a HP, they didnt include the option)

well what do you think he means? obviously the graphics card will work if it meets the minimum specs or exceeds them its not rocket science

Not true at the moment as some graphics cards that are better than minimum specs do not work with the demo.

My CPU is a AMD sempron 3200. I looked into overclocking it but there's no option to in the BIOS. (apparently cos' its a HP, they didnt include the option)

Ah, so it's an AM2 board, I guess... If it is:AMD dual core CPUs are fairly cheap, replacing your single-core Sempron with one of these could do some good, in terms of general FMs processing speed as well. Provided it's not the sytem memory, driver problems or something else that is holding your system back.

I have an old system I'm upgrading

However running the demo with an AMD64 x2 4400+, 3 gb ram, and 2 x 256gb geforce 6800 LE it runs superb.

I'm currently building a Q9550 4gb Ram XP 32 bit (yes I know about 32bit memory limitations) 1gb Powercolor 4870

Well, an 8600GT is obviously more than enough, might I also ask the question what video card you had before buying the new one? Maybe a different upgrade would have been a better choice.

I had an integrated ATi xpress 200 series which has only ever been able to play football manager, but its just too shoppy with the fm09 3d match engine. You might be right, i'm alright with computers generally but know very little about the specifics of graphics cards and what the differences are between them. But as I say, 50 quid sounded like a fair price for what seemed to be a decent to good graphics card.

I'm not usually someone to just buy on instinct but fm09's only a week away!

Live and learn I suppose.. :)

Archived