Hi,

I've seen reports on here about stores selling the game early and so want to clear up the activation of the game issue.

In the interests of fairness for both retailers and players we have made the decision to turn on the authentication / activation system for street date of 14th November. That decision was taken to try to give everyone a level playing field, for retailers it should mean that there is less incentive to break street date and less disadvantage that do the responsible thing and sell the game on the day of release. For players it means that everyone gets to play the game at the same time and those that have bought or pre-ordered from retailers that hold to the release date aren't left in a position where they wait for their copy whilst others are playing the game.

Despite this, it seems that some retailers are selling the game already. That's disappointing for us as it causes problems and disappointment for the people buying the game, as they won't be able to play it until the release date.

To those that have already bought copies of the game I apologise for the frustration having the game but not playing will cause. It wasn't supposed to be a position you would find yourself in, and I can only ask for your patience in waiting until the release date to play the game. For those of you that will see the game on sale before the 14th, please again understand that you won't be able to play it until release date.

All I can say is that this is done with the best of intentions for you, for the retailers, and to protect the game itself. Please believe me when I say I know how frustrating the situation is, I've been working on the marketing for the game for months and months (we shot the pack image back in May) and I can't wait to actually play the game. I have copies of the game under my desk and I cannot play them for the same reason you can't, and that is the 100% honest truth. Until Friday please continue to play the demo and, when Friday comes round, I hope you enjoy playing the full game as much as I will.

Thanks

Ben

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you explain why was this authentication / activation system was introduced please.

Didn't he just explain it? Last year they had to release the game 2 days earlier because so many shops broke the law and released it before the date.

Hi,

I've seen reports on here about stores selling the game early and so want to clear up the activation of the game issue.

In the interests of fairness for both retailers and players we have made the decision to turn on the authentication / activation system for street date of 14th November. That decision was taken to try to give everyone a level playing field, for retailers it should mean that there is less incentive to break street date and less disadvantage that do the responsible thing and sell the game on the day of release. For players it means that everyone gets to play the game at the same time and those that have bought or pre-ordered from retailers that hold to the release date aren't left in a position where they wait for their copy whilst others are playing the game.

Despite this, it seems that some retailers are selling the game already. That's disappointing for us as it causes problems and disappointment for the people buying the game, as they won't be able to play it until the release date.

To those that have already bought copies of the game I apologise for the frustration having the game but not playing will cause. It wasn't supposed to be a position you would find yourself in, and I can only ask for your patience in waiting until the release date to play the game. For those of you that will see the game on sale before the 14th, please again understand that you won't be able to play it until release date.

All I can say is that this is done with the best of intentions for you, for the retailers, and to protect the game itself. Please believe me when I say I know how frustrating the situation is, I've been working on the marketing for the game for months and months (we shot the pack image back in May) and I can't wait to actually play the game. I have copies of the game under my desk and I cannot play them for the same reason you can't, and that is the 100% honest truth. Until Friday please continue to play the demo and, when Friday comes round, I hope you enjoy playing the full game as much as I will.

Thanks

Ben

Yeah like I believe that for a second "mate". Don't try pull the wool over our eyes sunshine cause we aint mugs. Also, fantastic advice keep playing the demo! Eh, one, small problem captain it's not actually playable.

Yeah like I believe that for a second "mate". Don't try pull the wool over our eyes sunshine cause we aint mugs. Also, fantastic advice keep playing the demo! Eh, one, small problem captain it's not actually playable.

What are you going on about?

Yeah like I believe that for a second "mate". Don't try pull the wool over our eyes sunshine cause we aint mugs.

Please, enlighten us and tell us the truth. What's the real, dark reason for the authentication process? I bet it's interesting!

What are you on about? :confused:

Why do i have the feeling you are actually trying to start arguments or looking to find faults with everything?

oh yea and the demo is not unplayable for me.. iam enjoying actually..

Hi,

All I can say is that this is done with the best of intentions for you, for the retailers, and to protect the game itself.

Well let's see shall we.

Best intentions for us. Some people have paid for and got a game they can't yet play. Doesn't help them. Those of us who pre-order incase Play or whatever deliver a day early. Doesn't help them. People who haven't yet got the game. Can't help them can it.

Ok let's try the retailers. They sell a game, make money from it, don't care if you can play it or not. Can't see how this activation system helps them, or even if they'd notice it. Ok let's try the game.

The game itself. How does it need protecting from people playing it early? Will it get all upset because it didn't have time to get a hair cut or press its suit before it was needed? Unlikely *grin*. Perhaps it's a protection from piracy. Well nothing has ever worked in that department either. Damn this isn't holding up to much scrutiny is it.

Maybe it's the secret option D and that's Sega/SI not being inundated with bug reports and technical queries before they were expecting them.

Hmmmm. Answers on a postcard as who exactly it protects.

VB

Please, enlighten us and tell us the truth. What's the real, dark reason for the authentication process? I bet it's interesting!
What are you going on about?

My comment was in reference to this "I have copies of the game under my desk and I cannot play them for the same reason you can't, and that is the 100% honest truth". I take real issue to being treated like I'm sort of muppet. Fair enough, he works for the company so there must be some perks (early release and all that) but don't come on here patronising people who also have the game and can't actually play it.

You post iin another thread asking for someone to tell us 'what the script is', then when they take the time to do so, you sit there and baldly say you disbelieve it. Presumably you'd already decided what the situation is and approached this thread with a closed mind. Perhaps you'll enlighten us all with your superior knowledge?

I put it to you: only a "mug" would be a sycophant.

Nope, only a mug would buy a product which is not useable until an advertised date and then expect the company to change it's carefully planned procedure because he's impatient.

Do you work for Eidos? ;)

What is this wool they are pulling over our eyes? If they wanted us to be able to activate, we would be able to. If it was an invalid batch of cd keys issue, some would already be in, and they'd WANT to recall the others pre-launch.

My comment was in reference to this "I have copies of the game under my desk and I cannot play them for the same reason you can't, and that is the 100% honest truth". I take real issue to being treated like I'm sort of muppet. Fair enough, he works for the company so there must be some perks (early release and all that) but don't come on here patronising people who also have the game and can't actually play it.

Why is it so hard to belive that? If he works in the Marketing department for SEGA why would he have special treatment from SI?

Its the same kind of thing for me, I work at company who in turn works for 20th Century Fox.....but I dont get to see any films earlier than you would.

Fair enough, he works for the company

He doesn't work for SI, so would have no real access to the game code other than manufactured copies, which would require authentication the same as everybody else's. The mods will probably get their copies a couple of days early, but we'll have to wait the same as everybody else too.

But no doubt you'll think I'm lying as well.

Sorry Cullen89, that is the truth. I can only assume you are referring to me not being able to play the code. That is true. I have access to the demo like everyone else. I've come on here to respond to people's questions and I am not pulling the wool over your, or anyone else's, eyes.

In terms of the demo, I don't by any means agree that it is unplayable , however that is something that has been covered in other threads.

If one would find the demo unplayable, then being able to play the full game won't change matters, because it would be exactly the same since the patch isn't out yet. So that's no reason to complain about this authentication.

I wonder though if like some people on this forum have remarked already, if the illegal gamers will be able to play the game before the ones that actually buy it?

Not that this would necessarily make the authentication a bad (or good) thing, but it would be somewhat weird.

I was treating you like an adult by being honest with you, not a muppet, and I wasn't patronising you, sorry if you think I was. Usually we get to play games early that are published by us. That's even normally the case with FM, and would be with FMH09. However, the authentication servers are not on, I can't activate the copies I have of FM09 any more than anyone else as I have retail copies that need authenticating.

There are plenty of perks of the job, but playing FM09 this year early isn't one of them. However, that's not the point of my post and I hope whether you believe me or not doesn't derail the thread.

Thanks

Ben

I was treating you like an adult by being honest with you, not a muppet, and I wasn't patronising you, sorry if you think I was. Usually we get to play games early that are published by us. That's even normally the case with FM, and would be with FMH09. However, the authentication servers are not on, I can't activate the copies I have of FM09 any more than anyone else as I have retail copies that need authenticating.

There are plenty of perks of the job, but playing FM09 this year early isn't one of them. However, that's not the point of my post and I hope whether you believe me or not doesn't derail the thread.

Thanks

Ben

You have my sincerest apologies then mate. I will no longer post in this thread.

Sorry Cullen89, that is the truth. I can only assume you are referring to me not being able to play the code. That is true. I have access to the demo like everyone else. I've come on here to respond to people's questions and I am not pulling the wool over your, or anyone else's, eyes.

In terms of the demo, I don't by any means agree that it is unplayable , however that is something that has been covered in other threads.

we all appreicate your time ben. thanks for the response

You see this is what really get's my goat, people who moan about the game , when i doubt they've even looked at it in detail and completely disregard the work that the producers have put into actually making the game for us, the retailer. Miles and the others, sorry don't know your names, have put in countless hours of work to make sure that they release the demo and the full game on time to certain specifications. They haven't failed from my recolection in 5 years of FM'ing. Miles even said in his recent blog that some members of the team had been up since 4am in the morning, with shifts the next day from 9am in the morning.

How would you feel to be told that despite losing sleep, literally, the game wasn't good enough without at least explaining the problems or at least giving a decent reason to why it's not playable. You sitting there saying that you simply can't play it doesn't help the game develop, it hinders it because they rely on customer feedback to add to the game and make it better for next years release. So for god sake at least state why you don't think it's playable.

I'm not saying that you don't have a voice and that we should just accept rubbish games when they are made but some people give no regard to the work they put in and are totally ignorant in what they say. I for one would like to thank SI for making the game for the past 5 years and to keep up the good work.

You see this is what really get's my goat, people who moan about the game , when i doubt they've even looked at it in detail and completely disregard the work that the producers have put into actually making the game for us, the retailer. Miles and the others, sorry don't know your names, have put in countless hours of work to make sure that they release the demo and the full game on time to certain specifications. They haven't failed from my recolection in 5 years of FM'ing. Miles even said in his recent blog that some members of the team had been up since 4am in the morning, with shifts the next day from 9am in the morning.

How would you feel to be told that despite losing sleep, literally, the game wasn't good enough without at least explaining the problems or at least giving a decent reason to why it's not playable. You sitting there saying that you simply can't play it doesn't help the game develop, it hinders it because they rely on customer feedback to add to the game and make it better for next years release. So for god sake at least state why you don't think it's playable.

I'm not saying that you don't have a voice and that we should just accept rubbish games when they are made but some people give no regard to the work they put in and are totally ignorant in what they say. I for one would like to thank SI for making the game for the past 5 years and to keep up the good work.

well said mate

good idea **** those idiots who get it early and want to play. too right you shoud wait for relsease date like everybody else

That's kinda silly. So if you go into a store and find a game you would like to buy (not knowing actual release dates). You buy it, come home and find out you cannot activate it. Potential loss in sales I think...

Sure the stores selling these games early are doing wrong. But why is the customer punished for it? You have to remember not everyone playing games are surfing through all these forums and official sites for games they pick up in a store. I didn't come to any SI/FM site before last year.

Here mate I live in the real world! I don't have time to look in detail at the inner workings of the game. And do you know why? Because if I did I wouldn't have a job, and ultimately I wouldn't be able to buy FM. So excuse me for living the life I can only afford to. Don't get me wrong I can emphasis with the guys who put the shifts, as a working man myself (7-5, Monday to Friday) but regardless I still get grief at work, but it's like water off a ducks back mate. Another thing, I've been a member here for nearly 5 years and I've never really posted mainly because I've always enjoyed and never had grievances from the games, so don't accuse me of posting stuff just for the sake of it because that's just not the case.

That's kinda silly. So if you go into a store and find a game you would like to buy (not knowing actual release dates). You buy it, come home and find out you cannot activate it. Potential loss in sales I think...

Wrong. FM won't sell less because buyers will realize, or even know as they're buying, that they're buying before the release date. When they have purchased and taken it home, why wouldl they bother returning it just to buy it again, but with a risk it's no longer in stock?

These are the same people who can't be arsed to complain about the shop in the first place and find a scapegoat.

Sure the stores selling these games early are doing wrong. But why is the customer punished for it?

The customers aren't 'punished' in the slightest and if you're suggesting they are, you're being dramatic. Football Manager isn't emergency supplies, the game is released on the 14th. Whether you buy the physical package in advance still doesn't stop the fact that the game is released at a date where everyone gets it.

You have to remember not everyone playing games are surfing through all these forums and official sites for games they pick up in a store. I didn't come to any SI/FM site before last year.

They will look around for why the authntication code. If they don't hav ethe intelligence to figure out it's befor ethe release date, so of course it won't work, they'll find out what's going on with a little seaching, assuming it isn't alreay apparent in some documentation.

Wrong. FM won't sell less because buyers will realize, or even know as they're buying, that they're buying before the release date. When they have purchased and taken it home, why wouldl they bother returning it just to buy it again, but with a risk it's no longer in stock?

Seriously, how would they know the actual release date when picking it up at the store? Does the shop have a big sign somewhere that says they are selling it way early or something? Seriously a game that doesn't work will be returned by some people. This has been the case of other games having DRM systems, as well as slightly false advertising.

The customers aren't 'punished' in the slightest and if you're suggesting they are, you're being dramatic. Football Manager isn't emergency supplies, the game is released on the 14th. Whether you buy the physical package in advance still doesn't stop the fact that the game is released at a date where everyone gets it.

Right it's a GAME not a state secret, so what really is the big deal if a customer picks this up a bit early and can actually play it straight out of the box? I couldn't care less if 1000 people were playing it right now and I wasn't.

They will look around for why the authntication code. If they don't hav ethe intelligence to figure out it's befor ethe release date, so of course it won't work, they'll find out what's going on with a little seaching, assuming it isn't alreay apparent in some documentation.

Again, how will they know the release date? Yes they have to search for it. That shouldn't have to be done if you have bought the game! You really do expect everyone will just accept it's not working for a week? Sorry, I cannot see that happening. I'm not saying they will loose countless sales, but even loosing 10, 20, 100...whatever, it's bad enough IMHO. I'm just glad I haven't pre-ordered it and will certainly NOT be getting this a day early or anything...

Seriously, how would they know the actual release date when picking it up at the store? Does the shop have a big sign somewhere that says they are selling it way early or something? Seriously a game that doesn't work will be returned by some people. This has been the case of other games having DRM systems, as well as slightly false advertising.

If they wanted the game so early, they will know the release date. They're not going to go in and go "hey there's Football Manager 2009. It only just got released and I didn't want it, but now that I see it I'm gonna buy it". Some stores do have a release date list also.

It is not a case of the game not working, it is a case of going through the process, then finding out what's happening and it would take little intelligence or knowledge to do this.

Right it's a GAME not a state secret, so what really is the big deal if a customer picks this up a bit early and can actually play it straight out of the box?

Yes it is illegal.

I couldn't care less if 1000 people were playing it right now and I wasn't.

And you are not everyone.

You really do expect everyone will just accept it's not working for a week?

Again, the game does work. It is a case of using the authenticating process, it not working. So then they will troubleshoot and contact support, either by goign to these forums ,which we ahve seen, contacting by phone or so on.

In fact if it was not working by computer, the very first thing I'd imagine everyone would do was try it by phone, at which point they will discover that they have to wait to play it at the release date. They will then say "but I bought it", and they will be informed the shop illegally sold it early. If the customer then has a problem with SI or Sega and not the shop because of this, tough luck to them, they need to get a brain. They should have a problem with the shop.

Either way they have paid for the game and they will play it just like everyone else.

Right it's a GAME not a state secret, so what really is the big deal if a customer picks this up a bit early and can actually play it straight out of the box? I couldn't care less if 1000 people were playing it right now and I wasn't.

Again, how will they know the release date? Yes they have to search for it. That shouldn't have to be done if you have bought the game! You really do expect everyone will just accept it's not working for a week? Sorry, I cannot see that happening. I'm not saying they will loose countless sales, but even loosing 10, 20, 100...whatever, it's bad enough IMHO. I'm just glad I haven't pre-ordered it and will certainly NOT be getting this a day early or anything...

They'll take it back to the shop - The shop will have to explain to them why the game is not working.

If they explain it in a way that suggests negativity towards Sports Interactive or SEGA and they find out about this, they can take the store to court.

If they explain it in a way that shows they sold it early and that they were in the wrong to do so, then it makes them look stupid and hopefully prevents them doing it in the future.

Games have release dates for a very good reason. It's good that the stores are being punished now for breaking them. Of course it's a shame that the consumer loses out, but that's an unfortunate situation of which SI have no responsibility towards at all.

Many people are unhappy about this - but fail to understand why it is that Sega would want to ensure that all stores sell the game at the same time (it is fairly obvious after all). The alternative, after learning that stores can't be trusted to stick to release dates is to either:

1) add authentication which, like the OP said, disincentivises stores from selling games early, or

2) only dispatch the games on 13 November, with the inevitable consequence that some stores won't receive them on time resulting in FURTHER disappointment.

Games have release dates for a very good reason. It's good that the stores are being punished now for breaking them. Of course it's a shame that the consumer loses out, but that's an unfortunate situation of which SI have no responsibility towards at all.

Which would bring me to the question as to why the game has been sent out to retailers this early with a week untill release? Fully knowing that early releases always happen. Usually games come out a day or two before actual release, not a week. There must be some sort of shipping plan in use in order that every country/store would get the game on time but not too early either. I would have expected they send it out early next week, or possibly friday this week at the earliest.

And I agree, it is good that the store is puished. But I guess we'll never agree on the fact the buyer cannot play it out of the box. But then again, I'm very much anti-DRM.

Which would bring me to the question as to why the game has been sent out to retailers this early with a week untill release? Fully knowing that early releases always happen. Usually games come out a day or two before actual release, not a week. There must be some sort of shipping plan in use in order that every country/store would get the game on time but not too early either. I would have expected they send it out early next week, or possibly friday this week at the earliest.

And I agree, it is good that the store is puished. But I guess we'll never agree on the fact the buyer cannot play it out of the box. But then again, I'm very much anti-DRM.

To ensure that stores have full stock so that the gamers aren't disappointed when the store doesn't have the game on the day of release (which they'd invariably blame on the distributor).

They will have to activate at midnight between the 13th and 14th Nov, as if they don't do it till say 10am for example then customers will have the right to say they were sold a product on day of release and not able to use it the moment they had purchased without being given prior warning. The stores that sold the game on day will have to offer refunds for this and then have "legal practice" against the suppliers.

If you have a 24 hour store open that sells the game at 2am in the morning on the 14th November, no one is breaking any rules, but if they can't play this game due to an activation code not being available, then they do have grounds to say they have been sold the item "under false care of promise".

Now whilst its unlikely for any customer is to sue for this, i'm sure some idiot will try though, the bad press and PR could be very damaging. No matter how some will say it won't, I think your find once the press gets its teeth in and makes a big deal, it will damage. How many times have been seen a company say no problems, only to fall flat on its face?

I hope that Friday's forum isn't full of can't play due to the code not working threads, because the truth is the people that have bought the game on friday wanting to play it do deserve to be treated with respect. My big worry is some technical hitch that is out of SI's control happens and you then have thousands of very non understanding fans disgruntled! Please Sega and SI, I understand your reasonings and not wanting to be ripped off by pirates, but don't get this wrong for the fans on the 14th November! We are all very loyal, well most are :)

Archived