Should it be possible to tell a player NOT to shot from the distance?

I agree, A simple tickbox would do it. It will probably won't happen btw. I wish they had a link at the bottom of every page in the game for suggesting an improvement over something in the page; like "Send Feedback". And you could save your suggestions if you aren't online.

Some are missing the point...

When I see a player shooting 4 out of 5 times from very far distance without any chance to score, I want a possibility to tell him, not to do it any more. Setting low creative freedom and rarely distance shot does not work in the right way. With a clear instruction, he will shot when the goal is empty or it's the last chance in a game, but the rest of the game he will try to find another player instead of kicking the ball into row Z.

Some are missing the point...

When I see a player shooting 4 out of 5 times from very far distance without any chance to score, I want a possibility to tell him, not to do it any more. Setting low creative freedom and rarely distance shot does not work in the right way. With a clear instruction, he will shot when the goal is empty or it's the last chance in a game, but the rest of the game he will try to find another player instead of kicking the ball into row Z.

Simply having a tick box for 'never shot from long range' would be too black and white- football is free-flowing, reactionary, etc. I feel the tactical complexity of the game allows you enough freedom for individual player settings as it is. For me, it would have to be a 'no' I'm afraid.

Some of them do it always altough I set the instruction to seldom. I would like an addition to the slider that just says: No, don't do it.

I would agree, but to think of an IRL example, I remember a few times, both with England chasing a game and Man United chasing a game, when Gary Neville would try a shot from 25 yards, and I always used to think "why bother?". If a manager told me never to shoot from distance (which isn't inconceivable given my lack of shooting prowess), but the ball rolled to me invitingly 25 yards from goal, I'd definitely have a crack. So I think "shoots from distance rarely" is the correct instruction.

Also, having a tickbox that stopped players ever shooting would negate the point of player attributes. I think it is great that some players still shoot when set to 'seldom'- it reflects their individual attributes and poses you with difficult managerial decisions regarding the type of players you have at your club. Being able to completely erradicate inviduality in certain parts of the ME would kill a part of the game we all love.

I don't want to remove all the sliders, but there are some clear and crisp instructions that you can tell your players in real football, that are somewhat vague in the game. It's the same like telling a player not to go into the opposite half. Such instructions are often made by halftime and I would prefer to have the possibilty to do this instead of moving sliders. The sliders are okay to set-up a tactic before a game, but during the game I would prefer simple and direct instructions for the players.

I don't want to remove all the sliders, but there are some clear and crisp instructions that you can tell your players in real football, that are somewhat vague in the game. It's the same like telling a player not to go into the opposite half. Such instructions are often made by halftime and I would prefer to have the possibilty to do this instead of moving sliders. The sliders are okay to set-up a tactic before a game, but during the game I would prefer simple and direct instructions for the players.

OK, I hear you, but I think it still needs to be the case that the player might ignore you slightly or at least not always act to your instructions. I think that's important.

OK, I hear you, but I think it still needs to be the case that the player might ignore you slightly or at least not always act to your instructions. I think that's important.

I agree with that. But it should not be related to creative freedom alone, but also player personality. Selfish players and players with low intelligence may not find such instructions very usefull, while others will.

I agree with KUBI. At the moment, you can set a player's long shots to rarely and creative freedom to low, and some of them will still take a lot of long shots. And what can we do about it as managers? Nothing! Any manager in real life would be able to tell them not to shoot from long range, or at least have a go at them for continuing to ignore their instructions and continually waste any kind of attacks your team is trying to make. The instructions we have, and not just for this, are still too limited imo.

Maybe the problem is not to set the player to long shots rarely, insted other elements of your tactics. Maybe your team can't create decent chances for the fowards, and they shoot from outside as the only remaining chance. You should consider this...

I would agree, but to think of an IRL example, I remember a few times, both with England chasing a game and Man United chasing a game, when Gary Neville would try a shot from 25 yards, and I always used to think "why bother?". If a manager told me never to shoot from distance (which isn't inconceivable given my lack of shooting prowess), but the ball rolled to me invitingly 25 yards from goal, I'd definitely have a crack. So I think "shoots from distance rarely" is the correct instruction.

Anyone currently watching the Man United v Arsenal game would have seen my exact point proven there! :D

Archived