Exasperated Gaffer in need of consolation from friendly people...

Dear fellow managers...

I have again suffered a terribly unlucky season in charge of my beloved Arsenal on FM08, accrued 88 points yet still didnt win the league (for the 4th season now!) Then losing my 2nd champions league final in a row, this season to chelsea, on a penalty shoot out after my 9th spot-kick taker senderos skied his kick. west ham came from 2-0 down in 7 minutes in the fa cup final to beat me 3-2 thanks to a jermaine defoe hattrick, leaving me speechless. Add this to the fact I have won only the carling cup in 4 seasons now as manager, and finished as runner up to a competition on 6 occaisions now.

So I want your sympathy, motivation or indeed harsh words if you think I deserve such treatment! Happy Managing!

Llama3 (Arsenal Manager Forever!)

Ouch, I know how you feel.

I had one season with Blackburn where I managed to make them into a title challenging team. I lost the Carling Cup final, Champions League Final and the EPL to Arsenal. Also got knocked out of the FA Cup in the semi's by Portsmouth.

Take it on the chin, learn from the experience and hope that your players do too. Also if you team is young, try bringing in some older players to steady the younger players.

I feel you pain. I was trying to get into the UEFA cup places. From a really strong position, I lost the last five games of the season, finished with an identical record to the other team (I forget who) and after investigation it appeared the only thing seperating the two teams was alphabetical order.

Wow, that's a brutal run of results, llama3.

First, my consolation - I totally empathize. If we didn't get so worked up about our defeats in FM, we wouldn't get as much joy out of our triumphs either.

Second, my suggestions - it sounds like you're struggling with late-season results. Is there anything going on with your team at that time, such as morale slipping, players losing fitness, not getting condition up over 95%, over-training/under-training, unhappiness over transfer rumours .. what sort of team talks do you use for those Finals? .. is there anything you can do via clever media manipulation to get some additional results out of key players at such key moments? .. Can you do any manager mind games to try and turn up the pressure on your opposition? ..

I mean, I'd take it as "something I'm doing isn't quite working, and on 88 points I don't think its my tactics, my squad, or my typical team talks .." ... so I'd start looking at more obscure corners of my team.

I'm usually happy to make it to the later stages of competitions, but then again, I play in lower leagues. I usually do very well in the JPT, even as a League 2 side, but I try to stick with a determined squad with players that "enjoy the big matches".

i want to crack this fm08 game, and wont play 09 until i ahve done it, i will not be beaten! my squad has no morale issues, no fitness issues, i have played the media well, its just sheer awful luck i expect

Archived