Positional Arrows

What I mean by that are the ones that you can create so that a player will move up into that position from his main position during the game. Is it just a bug or have SI taken away the option of making the player able to move anywhere around the pitch. Now you can only make the player move forward one place i.e CM to AMC or backwards one place i.e CM to DMC. Could we please get back to the old way of yellow arrows so that I can bring my AML into a ST position.

As has been discussed in many threads (please search before posting new threads), side arrows were removed for FMLive/FM09 as they were easily manipulated into creating unrealistic performances. Now the arrows denote forward runs.

Forward arrow = forward runs often

No arrow = forward runs sometimes

Back arrow = forward runs rarely

The old arrow system will not be coming, simply because the arrows should represent a players run and not a new position. The old system was very easy to exploit and create unrealistic tactics which were near enough impossible to break down.

I know its hard to get to grips with the new system, but once you get the main idea behind how the sliders effect your teams performance, then its not too difficult to find the right formation and tactics

I seem to remember way back when... being able to click areas of the pitch and position my players for scenario (if the ball is here, you all stand here) and so on...

Those were the days :)

I'd rather there were more arrow or visual controls and less slider manipulation to be honest.

I seem to remember way back when... being able to click areas of the pitch and position my players for scenario (if the ball is here, you all stand here) and so on...

I'd rather there were more arrow or visual controls and less slider manipulation to be honest.

I remember it clearly - being able to instruct players on specific set-piece tactics, implementing runs, positions, passes and so on. Wait a minute - was that ever in CM or am I remembering some other crappy manager game that don't exist anymore.?

I remember it clearly - being able to instruct players on specific set-piece tactics, implementing runs, positions, passes and so on. Wait a minute - was that ever in CM or am I remembering some other crappy manager game that don't exist anymore.?

I remember that back in the days of CM3

Ahhhh yes the wibble - wobble screen.....Cm 01-02

Yes this seems to be the best way for positioning your players and i still dont understand why they removed this option.

But what about players who you want to cut inside. ie a wide player like Joe cole who is better cutting in towards the penalty area than running to the byline and crossing. How do you recreate that without diagonal runs?

By playing Joe Cole on the left of mid he will naturally cut inside because he is right footed.

But what about players who you want to cut inside. ie a wide player like Joe cole who is better cutting in towards the penalty area than running to the byline and crossing. How do you recreate that without diagonal runs?

I beleive they explain all this in the Tactics forum.

Ok, so how about players that are on the left and are left footed? It's not like wingers only bomb down the line!

Also, will a holding midfield player drop back "off centre" ie. favouring the side of the central position he starts in, and unbalance the team?

I find it more realistic with these arrows, unlike the other games where every person had an arrow running left right up and down. also if you want someone to cut in why don't you just give him a free role then he would do what he prefers to do no?

Yea, but I'm sure managers are able to tell players to cut inside in real life even if that player wouldnt think to do so.

I'm going to give the tactics forum a read to see how it's done (although should I have to read a tactics forum to know how to get a player to cut inside? deary me :))) )

I think it all has to do with the mentality of the player and the mentality of the tactics your using.

I'm reading the tactics forum myself to work it out myself, as this year I am going to design my own tatic and not download someone else and not really know how it works!

So what is the point of the Forward Run instruction in player instructions? If you have that on often but the player has no arrow what will he do? Will he do forwards run more than sometimes but less than often?

I think thats to do with one of the screens not refreshing, might even be a small bug.

Both the tactics and the position screen should show the same.

So what is the point of the Forward Run instruction in player instructions? If you have that on often but the player has no arrow what will he do? Will he do forwards run more than sometimes but less than often?

The arrows is both a representation as well as an alternative input method for the slider. Try changing one, it has a direct effect on the other! So your conflicting instruction set in fact cannot happen.

I like that the only reasoning everyone gives for being upset at the lack of arrows is for wingers cutting in, no other positions or anything.

People like Joe Cole and Messi have made this practice popular, howver I'm a Liverpool fan, and I'm finally happy that we have wingers who DON'T cut in all the time :D

Havign said that, having to tweak lots of different sliders to get this effect is to much hard work when real world scenarios dictate that a simple "come inside every now and again" tactic is common place.

I expect a "cuts inside" tickbox/PPM in the future as this is vastly becoming a more used tactic IRL.

Archived