The Match Engine on FM09

What are people's thoughts about the match Engine on FM 09? I've been reading about the Jerkiness that the 3-d match view causes, but ive heard that this going to be sorted on a release day patch. As i remember when the FM 08 game came out, the common issue of the game was the Closing Down Bug or to many shots on Goal etc was rife amongst FM gamers. Is any of these issues present on the new one?

i won't be using 3d

wingers still being too static (so far) is my only real issue (so far).

Hmmm. My wingers are really good, I think I score nearly half my goals from crosses from the byline. It could be the way you play, I have brought my 2007 tactical philosophy through to this version and just tweaked it slightly to allow for the changes in arrows - it works quite well and seems quite realistic.

Hmmm. My wingers are really good, I think I score nearly half my goals from crosses from the byline. It could be the way you play, I have brought my 2007 tactical philosophy through to this version and just tweaked it slightly to allow for the changes in arrows - it works quite well and seems quite realistic.

i'm still in pre-season. what i wanted to say is that they're still holding the position too much, compared to how modern wingers plays in real life (drifting in, coming deep, into the box). but i read mixed reactions from people here about this, so i'll hold my detailed coments.

it might be down to squad gelling as the team played only a few matches under my command.

i'm still in pre-season. what i wanted to say is that they're still holding the position too much, compared to how modern wingers plays in real life (drifting in, coming deep, into the box). but i read mixed reactions from people here about this, so i'll hold my detailed coments.

it might be down to squad gelling as the team played only a few matches under my command.

Ah, I see - I play a style with quite old-fashioned wingers so I probably won't see this so much. Maybe if you set them to not cross so often it would help? Also as a new manager it takes a while for the players to take notice of things you tell them to do.

I like the way they've made the narrow midfield so much less powerful by the way.

I'm enjoying 3D, which is a real shock because I hate 3D football games like Fifa and Pro Evo. I like the match engine too, there are a few issues, but I expect them to be sorted next week.

After reading the initial feedback here, I thought the 3D was horrible. Now that I've had actually time to play the demo, I was pleasantly surprised. Only minor glitches (occasional jerkiness) and no major probs with the engine. Definitely a step in the right direction.

I am very disapointed I really thought that with the introduction of 3D that FM 09 would be the ultimate manager game. It's such a shame because SI has missed a golden oportunity to steal a march on CM09 which is not being released until April, instead all they have done is given CM the chance to make sure they dont make the same mistakes with the ME.

SI may have been working on 3D for some time but I believe they have been rushed into realeasing an unfinished ME by the fact that CM are going 3D

I also believe part of the problem is lazy programming and coding especially the high specs requirement for a very basic 3D.

It is all very well saying there is going to be a patch but what about the hundreds of buyers that don't visit these forums, all they see is a very bugged game.

As for myself having had a look at FIFA manager 09(very little improvement) it looks like back to FM07 the best version to date and wait and see what CM offers in April. Having seen a few screenshots it doesn't look too bad, at least it has big improvments each year compared to FM(admittedly from a lower base) If that continues it is only a matter of time before it overtakes FM

Come on SI pull your finger out and retain your crown

I am very disapointed I really thought that with the introduction of 3D that FM 09 would be the ultimate manager game. It's such a shame because SI has missed a golden oportunity to steal a march on CM09 which is not being released until April, instead all they have done is given CM the chance to make sure they dont make the same mistakes with the ME.

SI may have been working on 3D for some time but I believe they have been rushed into realeasing an unfinished ME by the fact that CM are going 3D

I also believe part of the problem is lazy programming and coding especially the high specs requirement for a very basic 3D.

It is all very well saying there is going to be a patch but what about the hundreds of buyers that don't visit these forums, all they see is a very bugged game.

As for myself having had a look at FIFA manager 09(very little improvement) it looks like back to FM07 the best version to date and wait and see what CM offers in April. Having seen a few screenshots it doesn't look too bad, at least it has big improvments each year compared to FM(admittedly from a lower base) If that continues it is only a matter of time before it overtakes FM

This post makes it clear to me that you don't know anything about how the game works. The ME is a load of calculations - the 2D and 3D are simply graphical displays of this same set of calculations. The specs requirement for 3D is not particularly high - there is an issue with recognising certain kinds of gfx cards at the moment which hopefully will be fixed.

I'm not sure what you think 'lazy programming and coding' is or how it applies here. I'm not sure how you're qualified to make that kind of statement as you certainly haven't seen the code. I'd be interested to know whether you'd ever even tried to code anything even vaguely complex.

Yes, there are a few glitches with the game, but there are a few glitches with any major release these days. Hopefully the release-day patch will fix most of these - unlike some games I could mention. I haven't come across any bugs that have seriously affected the game's playability.

It's taken me a week of browsing these forums and trying new things and using system restore when some advice made things worse, but finally -- FINALLY -- I can play matches in 3D without inducing a migraine through the jerkiness.

And my opinion is that it's fantastic. So far, anyway. I didn't think it would work, but so far it does. Not sure if it'll get boring after a while, but I always said I'd like a 3D view IF it worked. Just need to play the game a bit more now to decide whether I like it enough to buy the game.

It's taken me a week of browsing these forums and trying new things and using system restore when some advice made things worse, but finally -- FINALLY -- I can play matches in 3D without inducing a migraine through the jerkiness.

And my opinion is that it's fantastic. So far, anyway. I didn't think it would work, but so far it does. Not sure if it'll get boring after a while, but I always said I'd like a 3D view IF it worked. Just need to play the game a bit more now to decide whether I like it enough to buy the game.

Did you have problems starting the demo? I can't even start it. What did you do to get the game working?

Thank you.

CM09 out in April?

Wow Just in time for the FA Cup final, Good work.....

Archived