Kids Nowadays - Don't know yer born

When I were a lad this is what we had. 1982, my first Football Manager game. Been playing the genre ever since, but next time you think you'll have a mope and a moan about what you've got today you'd do well to remember what the kids of the 80s had to play with :)

Check out the 3-D animation. Have a look at the Youtube link below just to see how lucky you are :cool:

Football_Manager2.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13M4_If_4I

Before this you know how me and my mates played football sims?

We wrote team names on a piece of paper - usually started with 32 Cup Ties - and used a dice to simulate the scores. The 6 was a "Nil". We played a knock-out competition to find a winner. Then started all over again. If you were feeling adventurous you'd make a Champions League type affair.

Pen, paper, dice. Marvellous times. :)

We wrote team names on a piece of paper - usually started with 32 Cup Ties - and used a dice to simulate the scores. The 6 was a "Nil". We played a knock-out competition to find a winner. Then started all over again. If you were feeling adventurous you'd make a Champions League type affair.

I've also done something similiar to this.

i do appreciate that we expect alot these days but its called progress. at the time you player the game in basic that would have been revolutionary and you would have enjoyed it that way. its only looking back that it looks rubbish. when FM2100 comes out and its all virtual etc then people may look back to now and say its rubbish. its not about expecting or deserving anything its about what is possible. if players know that 3D is possible then why cant we expect it to meet our expectations (seeing as our expectations come from what we have seen elsewhere, so therefore are possible.

im not having a moan honest :D i enjoy Fm and buy it every year, and after a patch or two it is easily the best game available on any platform.

Yeah we used to do stuff like that at school when we were bored.

What we would do, is right out the line-ups of 2 teams, in that time it was usually Real Madrid and Man Utd, and then the performance of every player was decided by a dice. Then we would compare the results of the performances of players that play against each other. For example the left back against the right winger (R Carlos vs Beckham) or the striker against the GK (Raul vs Smeichel), the team that won the most duels won the match.

Then again WE already had CM in those times, but you can't play that at school during a history lesson now can you.

Actually that looks ok. The thing is, and it's a problem with all modern games, the more real it looks the more the flaws stand out.

Our mind used to fill in the blanks. Whereas now it's on display.

I guarantee if you switch from the 3D engine to the text only, half the problems with the match engine disappear. Because what was a guilt edge chance or a terrible bit of decision making, or a huge dwell on the ball, instantly vanish when your mind is inventing it.

Phong-shaded normal-mapped bloomed realism isn't a patch on the realism in Chuckie Egg.

I used to do this with those 'league ladders' you'd get for free in Shoot Magazine hehe

ridiculous logic, times have change and with it so have standards, if your attitude was normal there would be no such thing as progress.

ridiculous thread.

You may not have noticed but you're the odd man out, the thread is light hearted and very amusing, I'm confident the OP had tongue firmly in cheek, which makes you look like one very miserable person:)

I'm paying £30 of my hard-earned money - I expect it to be sufficient enough, and I think you'll find you might be patronising people on here by calling them kids? Do one. Muppet :/

Don't young people do jokes anymore:confused: you seriously need to get a life son:D

Have done this before. Used to have great fun

I have one that i'm happy with. Can you say the same? Clearly not if that's the best you can come up with.

Certainly I can and I've been using it a lot longer than you, that's probably why I recognise a tongue in cheek thread when I see one.

Anybody taking the OP seriously needs a reality check.

When I were a lad this is what we had. 1982, my first Football Manager game. Been playing the genre ever since, but next time you think you'll have a mope and a moan about what you've got today you'd do well to remember what the kids of the 80s had to play with :)

Check out the 3-D animation. Have a look at the Youtube link below just to see how lucky you are :cool:

Football_Manager2.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13M4_If_4I

Haha, check out the dude doing his teapot impression on the goal line! Is that Fashanu? (can i say that?!!?)

This is pathetic :D I can't see how anyone put up with that, I wouldn't even bother if I lived back then. Would probably end up with my current two hours spent on the computer playing actual football instead of sitting in the chair. Probably be a much better footballer too. :D

:D Great thread.

This wasn't a management game but i remember playing it on my mate's Vectrex. Vectrex

I had an Atari and used to play this, it was an original Atari as well not the 2600.

I showed these to my 7 year old son and he looked at me like I was from another planet, then laughed as though I was joking. Kids of today don't know how good they have it.:D

This is pathetic :D I can't see how anyone put up with that, I wouldn't even bother if I lived back then. Would probably end up with my current two hours spent on the computer playing actual football instead of sitting in the chair. Probably be a much better footballer too. :D

You should really check it out - it's still one of the more enjoyable football management games.

Archived