Regarding laptop with no cd/dvd drive

i have an Advent 4211 which doesnt have a DVD drive. i know i can buy the game through steam, but with the current exchange rate its prooving to be rather expensive.

my question is that if i buy the game on dvd would i be able to make an image using my friends laptop (that has dvd burner)? put this image onto a memory stick and use a virtual drive on my laptop to mount the image and install the game this way? i undertsand the game comes with a serial key of some sort, but this shouldnt affect the installation as i should be able to use the serial on the mounted image.

I doubt the copy protection (read: genuine cd check) would like that very much. I guess some virtual drive emulation software may be able to handle it anyway, but relying on circumventing that protection isn't a very good idea. Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I'd embrace the digital distribution option for the slightly higher price. It's always going to work and be 100% supported by SI/Valve.

fm8 runs fine, i have 2gb of ram in it, and can force 1024x768 so shouldnt be a problem :) i want it on my net book as i do a fair bit of travelling around on trains so will be perfect if i can waste a few hours with it on the train

Archived