Quick Question

Hi, well I have installed FM 2007 on my new computer and my old computer had 1.5 GHZ processor and 512mb ram and if I played FM 2007 on it's own with no background programs running I was able to play with all the English leagues and all the Scottish leagues with large database with it running quite well.

My question is... Now that I have it installed on my dual core 2.4 ghz processor with 3gb ram how many leagues do you think I could run without it struggling?

My guess is maybe 4-5 different countries with all the leagues for those countrys.

For example... All English leagues, all Scottish, all Spain and Italy then possibly one more country.

Does anyone know for sure roughly how many leagues/countrys I could run on that specification?

I run about 15 nations, some two or three deep per league (divisions) on a P4 3.5GHz dinosaur with 2Gb RAM without any problem.

The biggest question is - how far into the game do you go? I'm usually about 5 seasons in, without noticing any slow down, before I tire of my save game. If you go far, far into the game (say 15 seasons+) you might notice it slowing a little but you've a quick machine so I wouldnt worry...

I run about 15 nations, some two or three deep per league (divisions) on a P4 3.5GHz dinosaur with 2Gb RAM without any problem.

The biggest question is - how far into the game do you go? I'm usually about 5 seasons in, without noticing any slow down, before I tire of my save game. If you go far, far into the game (say 15 seasons+) you might notice it slowing a little but you've a quick machine so I wouldnt worry...

Lmao 3.5 ghz is HUGE! If you had 4gb ram to go with that you could run an entire city :D

I guess it's all down to what OS you have aswell though. I have Vista which will eat up more ram than XP so I guess that would take off a few possible leagues that I could have run had it been XP.

Ah, but you didnt notice I said P4. I havent got a dual core.

Dual core @ 2GHz is going to be faster than my Pentium 4 if the code uses Dual Core fucntionality (and I think it does these days).

Its like the Athlon processors in the past (probably still the case), they would run at a higher speed (GHz) but they werent as efficient as Intel chips (on the whole) so the speed only tells part of the story.

Ah, but you didnt notice I said P4. I havent got a dual core.

Dual core @ 2GHz is going to be faster than my Pentium 4 if the code uses Dual Core fucntionality (and I think it does these days).

Its like the Athlon processors in the past (probably still the case), they would run at a higher speed (GHz) but they werent as efficient as Intel chips (on the whole) so the speed only tells part of the story.

Ah I see! I'm not great with the mechanics behind the PC parts to be honest. I know the basics and how good the ram you have is and how good the graphics card is but when it comes to things like dual core processor I don't really know what it all means but thanks for telling me that :) So really my dual core 2.4 ghz is like double that in theory? So it would be the equivalent to around 4.8ghz if it was a pentium 4?

Lmao 3.5 ghz is HUGE! If you had 4gb ram to go with that you could run an entire city :D

I guess it's all down to what OS you have aswell though. I have Vista which will eat up more ram than XP so I guess that would take off a few possible leagues that I could have run had it been XP.

I have 4GB. What does that mean for me FM09-wise? I don't really understand.

I have 4GB! What does that mean for me FM09-wise? I don't really understand.

Well it should run FM2009 very well. But so far with people complaining of jerkyness in the match engine etc... I don't think even a PC with 8gb ram would run the match engine without jerkyness, in the demo anyway.

Well it should run FM2009 very well. But so far with people complaining of jerkyness in the match engine etc... I don't think even a PC with 8gb ram would run the match engine without jerkyness, in the demo anyway.

I've experienced no jerkiness whatsoever with the demo.

I dont think RAM is the issue with match engine stutter, its down to its implementation (coding - and I think this will be improved) and more than likely its call on the Processor. RAM is primarily there to hold all the data, so if you want a load of leagues running (and all the information that comes with that) you'll want plenty of RAM so the computer isnt writing and reading from the slower Hard-drive all the time. Think of it as writing down notes to come back to later, its much slower!

If you have lots of memory (remember 1GB is pretty much fine in this day and age) you can run more leagues (hold more data) without referring to the hard-drive. 4GB is massive, but I personally (for what I use the machine for) dont need anything above 2GB. I've noticed things being generally smoother on everything I do with the PC since upgrading from 1GB.

I dont think RAM is the issue with match engine stutter, its down to its implementation (coding - and I think this will be improved) and more than likely its call on the Processor. RAM is primarily there to hold all the data, so if you want a load of leagues running (and all the information that comes with that) you'll want plenty of RAM so the computer isnt writing and reading from the slower Hard-drive all the time. Think of it as writing down notes to come back to later, its much slower!

If you have lots of memory (remember 1GB is pretty much fine in this day and age) you can run more leagues (hold more data) without referring to the hard-drive. 4GB is massive, but I personally (for what I use the machine for) dont need anything above 2GB. I've noticed things being generally smoother on everything I do with the PC since upgrading from 1GB.

I have 4GB because I wanted a good machine and the best I found within my budget happened to have 4GB. I certainly didn't set out to buy one with that much and, truth be told, I don't think I need it.

Archived