Offensive DC?

It seems that the central defender in a 3-5-2 is standing higher than the two other DC and he is still more offensive even if you set him to be ultra defensive and the rest just to normal. Why? a bug? It was the same in 08. When I play against teams with 4 defenders the central defenders also seems more offensive than the DL and DR. This could be some odd tactic the AI have invented :)

Here, you can see the central defender steps up

athleticvsporting10fz1.th.pngthpix.gif

My thoughts:

I have seen similar things happening even playing with 4 defenders. One of the central defenders sometimes comes out too soon, thus leaving one striker alone to receive the ball, just like the screenshot you posted there.

I believe this is because of the "closing down" or "pressing" individual setting (I don't know how it's translated in the English version of the game).

I don't think it has to do with how offensive/defensive he is, but rather his pressing instructions. If his pressing bar is too high, he'll try to steal the ball even when the opposition is still in the midfield, which is a risk if they have another striker.

So you could try to move the pressing slider down to "own box" or even less, and see if you get better results.

Hope it helps ;)

It looks liek the no.14 is stepping up to close down the player in possesion, leaving the other two CB's to mark the other attackers.

In a 3 on 3 situation, you would want one of your defenders to close the ball, wouldn't you?

With a system that employs 3 CB's and then maybe a couple of wingbacks, isn;t it normal that one of the CB's takes on more of a sweeper rol, or more of a Libero (think thats how its spelt) role? So either staying deeper or moving forward to join the midfield respectively.

When i play with 3 centerbacks i employ the central centerback to run with the ball and close down often. It helps greatly with distribution because said player can run into the midfield area (unchallenged) and distribute the ball. They then return to the centerback position.

Been very successful for me.

Can you post some screenshots?
It looks liek the no.14 is stepping up to close down the player in possesion, leaving the other two CB's to mark the other attackers.

In a 3 on 3 situation, you would want one of your defenders to close the ball, wouldn't you?

With a system that employs 3 CB's and then maybe a couple of wingbacks, isn;t it normal that one of the CB's takes on more of a sweeper rol, or more of a Libero (think thats how its spelt) role? So either staying deeper or moving forward to join the midfield respectively.

I play with Bilbao :)

Number 4 is set to close down in own area. Number 2 and 3 is set to tight man marking, they should have a fine for not listen to the manager :)

Archived